The Shuttlecraft Galileo

Krel

Sr Member
On the Hobby Talk forum, a person posted claiming to own the Shuttlecraft Galileo. It is in storage and needs work, as the person he had restoring it was a bit of a con man: The Galileo LIVES! - HobbyTalk It starts on post 11.

If this is not the correct place to post this, then please feel free to move it to the correct place.

David.

I am confused as the last story was the owner never came to claim it in some storage yard and it was hauled off as scrap when the land was cleared.

As I understood it, only the metal frame and warp tubes were original as the wood was long rotten and replaced.

I'm skeptical until there is evidence.

I politely asked for some from him in my original thread. I sometimes build up hope too quickly...:behave I swear I will cry if this goes south.:confused

Agreed. Me too!

If his story is true, times have changed and I can see easily fans taking this off his hands and getting her back in shape.

I knew this would be here already, but wanted to verify.

Sounds legit to me. As to what parts of it are still original, probably little, if any, of the wood. Plus, it sat outside in the rain. The owner claims many bits were restored and kept elsewhere.

If true, someone able to purchase and restore this should follow up and verify. It would be a shame if this is the real deal and it gets trashed further.

I personally view the Galileo sort as teh One Ring.

It should be destroyed before it ruins more lives.

The guy is right it IS an albatross. It's big, awkward, and just the wrong size to pull it around with a trailer.

Plus I'm still bitter about having my offer turned down to buy in 1980.

As I understood it, only the metal frame and warp tubes were original as the wood was long rotten and replaced.
In my estimation of the evidence I've found (just MY estimation, mind you), it seems like 25% of it might be original, give or take. That's still epic IMO. 25% of the Holy Grail of TV SF? I'll take it!

The nacelles, rear landing pad, tude steel frame from the wing line down, are original.

Pretty sure all the wood was replaced. It sure needed it.

In my estimation of the evidence I've found (just MY estimation, mind you), it seems like 25% of it might be original, give or take. That's still epic IMO. 25% of the Holy Grail of TV SF? I'll take it!

Agreed, it's huge news as those were large pieces that were on set and interacted with the actors.
Hoping this is the real deal and there is still this last chance.

For the record, the owner is a "she".

Frankly, I'd rather see the shuttle go to an aviation museum where the restoration work can continue and folks can see it up close, instead of squirreled away in some rich guy's barn. We've had too many years of having no idea where the thing was or if it'd been reduced to kindling.

Simple economics. Floor space at any museum is too valuable for "fantasy" space ships.

And Sci-Fi is constantly on the verge of closing and there simply is NOT floor space there for it. But they could hang it like they did the Spinner. But even that might not fit there.

That thing is huge.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back