The Shining Photo

Outstanding Reference Site for Kubrick:
http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/

The Shining FAQ Section of this Site:
http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/faq/html/shining/shining.html

29/ What is the music used at the end called?
It is a popular English dance tune of the twenties, "Midnight, the Stars and You", played by Ray Noble's band with an Al Bowly vocal. GS: This of course was also used earlier in one of the great moments of the movie, when Jack enters the Gold Ballroom in the middle of the Ball (just before meeting Grady).

31/ Were the people in the end photograph extras?
No it was a real photograph from 1921. Kubrick originally planned to use extras but it proved impossible to make them look as good as the people in the archive photograph he found, Kubrick said that every face was "an archetype of the period." So he photographed Nicholson, carefully matching the lighting and shot him at different distances so he could be sure of matching the film grain exactly. Kubrick's photograph of Nicholson's face was then airbrushed into the original photograph.

32/ What does the ending mean?
"I hope the audience has a good fright, has believed the film while they were watching it and retains some sense of it. The ballroom photograph at the end suggests the reincarnation of Jack"

Stanley Kubrick

Here's a section of Jonathan Romnay's essay on The Shining from the August '99 edition of Sight and Sound.

Amid the quiet - broken only by the ghostly strains of a 20's dance tune - the camera tracks slowly towards a wall of photographs from the Overlook's illustrious history. It closes in on a central picture showing a group of revellers smiling at the camera and the in two dissolves, reveals first the person at the centre of the group - Jack himself, smiling and youthful in evening dress - and then the inscription, "Overlook Hotel, July 4th Ball, 1921" Cue credits, cue shudder from the audience.

Just what makes this chilly pay off so uncanny? It appears to reveal something, the final narrative turn of the screw, or perhaps an explanation of the stories ambiguities - but really it reveals nothing for certain. What's more the last thing we see is not an image but and inscription hardy the chilling coup de theatre we expect from a horror film. But The Shining is a film that, while it uses written language sparingly is most concerned with words: not just words of the literary chef d'oevre Jack attempts to write, but also the film's frequent intertitles, and the fetish word REDRUM (murder in mirror writing that preoccupies Danny,

The closing inscription appears to explain what has happened to Jack. Until watching the film again recently I'd always assumed that, after his ordeal in the haunted palace, Jack has been absorbed into the hotel, another sacrificial victim earning his place at the Overlook's eternal the dansant of the damned. At the Overlook , it's always 4 July 1921 - although God knows exactly what happened that night [..]

Or you can look at it another way. Perhaps Jack hasn't been absorbed - perhaps he has really been in the Overlook all along. As the ghostly butler Grady tells him during their chilling confrontation in the man's toilet. "You are the caretaker, you have always been the caretaker Perhaps in some early incantation Jack really was around in 1921, and it's his present day self that is in the shadow of the phantom photographic copy. But if his picture has been there all along, why has no one noticed it. After all its right at the centre of the central picture on the wall. and the Torrances have had a painfully drawn our winter of mind numbing leisure in which to inspect every corner of the place. It is just that, like Poe's purloined letter, the thing in plain sight is the last thing you see. When you do see it, the effect is so unsettling because you realise the unthinkable was there under your nose - overlooked - the whole time.

However you interpret the photographic evidence with which the film singularly fails to settle its uncertainties, this strikes us as an uncanny ending to an uncanny film. One of the texts Kubrick and his co writer Diane Johnson referred to when adapting Steven King's novel was Freud's 1919 essay "The Uncanny." The essay defines uncanny as the class of the frightening which leads back to what is known of old and long familiar. Or as Freud put it, quoting Schelling, the uncanny is "something which out to have remained missed but which is brought to light. [...]

The Overlook doesn't want a neat caretaker, let alone a resident writer. It likes to reduce clever people to menials: look at Grady the butler, clearly a cultivated man through and through. the Overlook wants Jack as a clown, an entertainer for the bored spooks wintering up there alone, The privilege Jack is accorded (Tolerance from Lloyd the sepulchral barman, limitless credit from the management) are the sort of deals given to the in-house cabaret act. The ghouls are assembled to watch Jack wrestle with his demons and lose: this is effectively Kubrick's second gladiator movie, after Spartacus (1960).

Hence Jack's reward after his defeat: a central place among, who knows how many other doomed variety acts on the Overlook's wall of fame. He's added to the bill on the Overlook's everlasting big night back in 1921. And having done his stuff, he deserves an acknowledgement from us too as we get our coats and leave. And that's exactly what he gets. The last thing we hear in the film after the echoing strains of midnight with the stars and you is a round of polite applause over the end credits, which then dies down as the ghouls leave the theatre.

Does anyone here have a lead on an accurate picture frame?

-Ss

It appears to be a basic black, wooden frame. If someone could give an estimate on the width of the frame and the white border, it shouldn't be too hard to come pretty close. Even if you find one in another color, you could easily paint it.

Thanks so much to everyone in this thread.
I'm new here and this was an exciting find for me.

Printed a few this week, and one is gracing my office right now!
- Added a bit of "Grain" to cover the pixelation and make it look like a photo more.
- Added 1/2 boarder for the frame.
- Tinted/aged it just a tad in a tea bath.
- Framed in some cheap blk wooden frames from Salvation army. (I know they're too Big, but they should hold for now, till i find "correct"/ideal blk wooden frames)

...Hunt for the right frame continues.....

Thanks again!

112410_6.jpg

112410_7.jpg

Thanks for making that clearer. Here's another odd thing I just noticed, despite having seen this picture probably a thousand times- look at the man directly above and slightly to the left of the circled hand in the larger photo. I would swear it's a young Joe Turkel, the actor that played Lloyd the Bartender in the film.

Cordially,
MM

Edit: I think I just attached a graphic that points out the resemblance between the two, but I'm not altogether sure.

I think the story was that the photo was a real vintage photograph and that Jack Nicholson was photographed to match it and put into it with masking in enlarger. I can't remember where I heard this, but there were a lot of photographs seen that were from studio archives and all of them were lost when the set partly burned during production.

I remember at least part of the story came from the commentary track to Kubrick's daughter Vivian on her documentary on the DVD.

I was in CO recently, and went to visit my Sister. She told me the Hotel where that was filmed was not far from there.

Well...the place the filmed the Ball Room Scene.

I wanted to go...but if I did...i was afread I would find this:

cerneyshining.jpg

PRICELESS! :lol

BTW: The King mini series was shot at the Stanley (where King wrote the novel) in Colorado. Interiors for Kubrick's were filmed on stage in England.

Hello, could anyone re-up the best version posted here, or point me to where I might find it? Had it a while back, think it got lost in a computer-crash. Would be really greatful. Thanks!

Thanks for the link. That will do if there's nothing else, but there should be a 400 dpi version, as posted by jheilman on the previous page.

My joint favourite film of all time!!

I think I'm going to have to have a go at building one with some Blu-Ray captures at some point, but for now here is the one I'm getting printed this week...

View attachment 117541

It was the last image posted on here with a border and sepia colour to it, which will probably look about right when printed glossy.

Rich

That's a nice find!

I did wonder who was there originally and how the shadows / light levels varied between Jack and Mr. X!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back