The Rock VX Gas Canister Build

The “ screen used bulbs “ had liquid dish soap inside them . I had several from the film . I also had the “guidance chips “ and a couple “pardons”
Do you know what chips were used? Trying to find anything close to the found part but having no luck.

Knightmare I'm about to have some PCBs made which repliclate them as best I can, happy to post you one if you're in the UK or send you the .gbr files to produce your own.

The Kaiser How did you seal the pearls at the joints?

Sorry for the delay in response Trullock. Sealing the pearls was the biggest challenge for me with the project. I tired a number of methods - everything including hot glue, silicone sealant, 5-minute epoxy, silicone stoppers, CA glue, a few other adhesives, and even trying to flame seal the small hole. The best solution I found was UV-curing resin. I used the Bondic brand, but I know there are quite a few others. It worked well because it cures almost instantly and forms a pretty tight seal around the monofiliment passing through the pearls. That said, it isn’t perfect and there is always the risk of the resin detaching from the glass and breaking the seal (which has happened on a few of the pearls over the last year). I still believe there is a better solution out there, so please share if you find one!

Sorry for the delay in response Trullock. Sealing the pearls was the biggest challenge for me with the project. I tired a number of methods - everything including hot glue, silicone sealant, 5-minute epoxy, silicone stoppers, CA glue, a few other adhesives, and even trying to flame seal the small hole. The best solution I found was UV-curing resin. I used the Bondic brand, but I know there are quite a few others. It worked well because it cures almost instantly and forms a pretty tight seal around the monofiliment passing through the pearls. That said, it isn’t perfect and there is always the risk of the resin detaching from the glass and breaking the seal (which has happened on a few of the pearls over the last year). I still believe there is a better solution out there, so please share if you find one!
Maybe try putting the silicone on before filling the spheres? Inject the gel thru the silicone?

Great job, TheKaiser! I only got to the planning stage, then life...
Here's a couple of renders of my CAD model.

nx01-960.jpg
nx02-960.jpg
Cannister Assy.JPG

Last edited:
Wow! Awesome work on the model Ramjet. A magnitude better than the janky TinkerCAD design I did for my build. I’m following your WOPR build thread. Looks like we have some similar taste in projects.

This is such an amazing model! I have to ask, does it have the satisfying marble clack that we hear in the movie when they rattle together, or are they too fragile for such a feat? I always loved this prop, I never considered making one but I am so glad someone did. Excellent work!

THanks for the intel, you've **** on all my ideas haha
I'm still confident, gonna try some things out and report back

This is such an amazing model! I have to ask, does it have the satisfying marble clack that we hear in the movie when they rattle together, or are they too fragile for such a feat? I always loved this prop, I never considered making one but I am so glad someone did. Excellent work!
Thank you! Yes, the best part is the "clacking" of the pearls when the strings are pulled out of the main housing. It is also somewhat scary as I am always worried that one is going to shatter.

Hey Guardian85,
Okay so I have failed in my attemps to replicate this... so now for my selfish question... would you consider selling one?
I am open to building you one as a commission if you are interested. Feel free to DM me if you want to discuss.

The “ screen used bulbs “ had liquid dish soap inside them . I had several from the film . I also had the “guidance chips “ and a couple “pardons”

On the film commentary (or one of the special features), I believe its Cage himself that suggests it was Prell...

Prell is too blue-green and dark, and doesn't have the bubbles Banana Boat Aloe Vera does.

Long-standing (old) internet research reveals it was Banana Boat Aloe Vera, which is spot-on in every aspect (aroma, color, bubbles).

I have an original glass sphere (albeit now empty, due to evaporation) from PropStore, and it smells exactly like:

Banana Boat Aloe Vera...

The specific case model is “PA 116” (which I believe is generally used for 120mm tank round storage). They can regularly be found on eBay for about $50-$100, depending on the condition. Alternatively, if you have a military surplus store in your area, they may sell them there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back