The Rock VX Gas Canister Build

Hi there! I am very excited to follow your lead and make my own!! Would you suggest a formed plastic acrylic for the lid and top cage, or would a 3D printed carbon fiber be sufficient? Also - the attached clips/plugs that suspend the pearls... are they secured enough with the four clips?

atyslau - Happy to answer any questions about the project. I am not confident that I understand what you are referring to with "formed plastic acrylic" (vacuum forming?), but the approach I used for the "cage" was to created a 3D model then I printed it in PLA with a high infill rate (I don't recall the exact %). The cage was printed in two parts and then metal dowls were inserted into the uprights of the cage and the two parts are screwed together. While I also reinforced the PLA print with some epoxy, I expect that a carbon fiber print would likely be just fine on its own.

Below is the cage after the two printed parts were assembled
IMG_4008.JPG

The "lid" that the strands hang from is made from layered sheets of acrylic (1/8") and a 3D-printed part at the bottom. The bottom part is not actually weight-bearing in my build as the clips are are attached to wire cable that just pass through the brass pieces and are mechanically anchored in the acrylic layers (I don't have any photos of that anchoring to show). The very top part is cast in resin from a 3D print I made, but that could be simply printed.

In the photo below, the top four layers you see are acrylic, while the bottom part is 3D printed and attached to the upper acrylic layers via bolts.

IMG_4040.JPG

here is a full view of the bottom of the lid before the strands were attached, hopefully this better shows what I am talking about.
IMG_3968.JPG

As for how the plugs are connected, I had a fair amount of heartburn about that potential point of failure. To add some additional strength I ended up epoxying the clips together, and then still didn't feel overly confident, so drilled a small hole horizontally through the plug connection point and inserted a M2 bolt to give some mechanical strength. In the second photo above I believe that is after I had epoxied the connections but before I added the M2 bolts

Hope that helps!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back