The Rise of Skywalker: Episode IX Graflex

I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but I was looking at some high res shots from the movie. I noticed that, due to how the light is hitting the edge of the brass, it looks like the welding might have been sculpted on top of the Graflex instead of etched or melted.
20210209_233208.jpg
20210209_231417.jpg

Has anyone tried to add on with anything instead of using the dremel tool?

I am hoping to order a full kit from KR as soon as he makes more available, and I'm looking at how to create the effect.

I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but I was looking at some high res shots from the movie. I noticed that, due to how the light is hitting the edge of the brass, it looks like the welding might have been sculpted on top of the Graflex instead of etched or melted.
View attachment 1423800View attachment 1423801

I am hoping to order a full kit from KR as soon as he makes more available, and I'm looking at how to create the effect.
I had a cracked graflex top and it was in really bad shape, so I was going to throw it away after I salvage the bunny ears, etc. But then the movie came out and I decided to convert it ...
I don't have any welding tools and ultimately I just used solder to cover the cracks where they were, so of course it is not screen accurate. But I guess it still counts as " add anything instead of dremel " :) - so here are a couple of pictures:
graflex2.JPG

graflex.JPG

View attachment 1423800View attachment 1423801

I agree that it looks like they may have applied something to give it a more raised surface, I think the reason everyone uses a Dremel is that since the prop looks to have the copper exposed it is simpler to grind into the flash gun until you reach copper. With a little creativity you can get it to look pretty close.
However, I have no idea how they achieved that look on the prop. There are various things you could apply, like E6000 but it would be messy and you still need to figure out how to paint it.

I had a cracked graflex top and it was in really bad shape, so I was going to throw it away after I salvage the bunny ears, etc. But then the movie came out and I decided to convert it ...
I don't have any welding tools and ultimately I just used solder to cover the cracks where they were, so of course it is not screen accurate. But I guess it still counts as " add anything instead of dremel " :) - so here are a couple of pictures:
View attachment 1423855
View attachment 1423856
I actually think that looks pretty awesome. I don’t know much about soldering. I wonder if there is a copper color your could solder with?

View attachment 1423855
View attachment 1423856

Whoa! That's really cool looking! I might be tempted to do something along those lines. Maybe brush paint the brass...

I actually think that looks pretty awesome. I don’t know much about soldering. I wonder if there is a copper color your could solder with?
Yes, you can get brass solder wire, but they generally require a torch to melt, simple soldering gun does not go hot enough to melt it.

Whoa! That's really cool looking! I might be tempted to do something along those lines. Maybe brush paint the brass...
I tried to paint the seams with some decent brass/gold paint and it probably was ok if you just see it on a picture, but when I had it in my hands it felt kind of too fake so I removed it. I'm not particularly skilled with these things, so I'm sure someone can do a more convincing job.

I dont think it is TIG welded. They may have heated up some brass braising rods and laid small puddles, the ground it down a bit. I guess with some time and patients, you could mix some brass cold cast powder in with epoxy and achieve a similar result perhaps???

You may be correct, but to me, it looks like low power TIG- just enough to make a small pool with a fine electrode. "stacking dimes"

No filler wire.

I have done TIG like that on a thin sheetmetal box with very tight seams. Just melt the two pieces together (almost like gas welding). Replace the "crack" with a weld pool. It is not the strongest weld with TIG but it works for thin stuff like that.

You may be correct, but to me, it looks like low power TIG- just enough to make a small pool with a fine electrode. "stacking dimes"

No filler wire.

I have done TIG like that on a thin sheetmetal box with very tight seams. Just melt the two pieces together (almost like gas welding). Replace the "crack" with a weld pool. It is not the strongest weld with TIG but it works for thin stuff like that.

Bingo

I saw this TLJ concept art posted on Instagram a couple of days ago. The heavier discoloration and warped metal look awesome. It would be cool to see a Reyflex done up with this more extreme blast damage, with the factory-fresh new clamp.

1613328507024.png

https://www.instagram.com/mattsav.concept/

Here is mine. Made from a Roman's Gen2 Graflex and Khal's conversion kit. So about as accurate as you can get. Halliwax was kind enough to do the conversion and it looks outstanding! I will let him chime in if he wants on how he did it (I made some goofs he corrected). I am super happy with it. It is a static piece, not going to FX it.

DSC06127.JPGDSC06128.JPGDSC06129.JPGDSC06130.JPGDSC06131.JPGDSC06132.JPGDSC06134.JPGDSC06135.JPGDSC06137.JPGDSC06138.JPGDSC06139.JPGDSC06140.JPG

Attachments

• DSC06141.JPG
    DSC06141.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 109
  • DSC06133.JPG
    DSC06133.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 170

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back