The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

I've been searching everywhere for an pep for and injustice suit for any male characters and no luck. If anyone knows where I can find anything in that nature id greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my SCH-R740C using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever used foam templates to build using a material called Wonderflex? It's a bit like Sintra except it's easier to shape and comes in thinner sheets. I can see the potential in using in my next build, but I haven't seen any pep builders use it, so I wanted to consult the community first.

Here's an FAQ on the material, for those that haven't heard of it: CosplaySupplies.com -- Tutorials > Wonderflex Basics

Thanks!

Has anyone ever used foam templates to build using a material called Wonderflex?

My personal experience: Stay away from Wonderflex unless you have a deep pocket and don't mind cutting multiple copies of the same shape, or unless you just want to use it for accent or a very very think 'second skin' type armor.

It takes multiple layers to make Wonderflex keep the shape, and you need a special sealer to cover the web texture of the material if you want a smooth surface.

Hiya,

I'm having issues with my foam ironman build I'm using the shark man file for the helmet ATM, but it seems to be very disproportionate all the pieces seem to be to short and to wide and it does not look right, I'm using 6mm eva foam although I don't feel that has any real relevance to the proportion any tips would be great thank you

Qualitystreetz- they don't make them like they used too.

Hello Everyone,

After reading through many posts today, and looking at a lot of threads showcasing some amazing work, I think I am ready to attempt my first Pepakura project. However, before I get started, there are a few things I'm not quite clear on.

1. Model vs. Bondo

After looking at some of the 3D models available, it is clear that some people put in a lot of effort to get them as accurate as possible. However, I then see the completed Pep model being covered in a Bondo layer so thick that most of the original model is either lost, or basically resculpted.

I admit I'm fully ignorant here, but if the point of the Bondo is to smooth out the paper (since the shape is already there), why do people not create a 1/4" buildup of Bondo inside, and the sand down (through the paper, into the Bondo) to smooth it out, then use minimal amounts of filler/Bondo to build/refine any trouble areas?

2. Brush Distortion

I've noticed in a few videos that after creating a near perfect Pep piece, some then start brushing on resin. Having worked with resin a lot in my old days as an FX makeup artist, I know it can be very difficult to work with. It tends to be heavy, and if your piece isn't supported, it can distort, as I've seen.

Is there a spray (polyurethane) that some can use to create a ridged form, before reinforcing it with fiberglass? I would think that a spray would allow the piece to be disturbed as little as possible, this retaining shape better.

That should be enough to get me started. Thanks for all your help. :)

I'm looking for Gokaiger helmet PDOs, specifically Gokai Pink. I found a Gokai red, but the rest are very hard to find if they exist. Was wondering if anyone might know where I could find them? I've been trying to create a 3D model but honestly I suck super hard with 3ds max. :(

Hey guys, which one of the automatic cutters are being used now ? I want to purchase one and would like to now. Thanks

A lot of people have been using the silhouettes with a lot of success, that's the only one I've ever used. If you google search RPF cricut, that'll bring up several thread discussions over different cutters and what people like.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of people have been using the silhouettes with a lot of success, that's the only one I've ever used. If you google search RPF cricut, that'll bring up several thread discussions over different cutters and what people like.

*** and to mention, googling with the word Cricut just brings up a lot of good sources, not because I think Cricuts are a good choice***

1. Model vs. Bondo

After looking at some of the 3D models available, it is clear that some people put in a lot of effort to get them as accurate as possible. However, I then see the completed Pep model being covered in a Bondo layer so thick that most of the original model is either lost, or basically resculpted.

I admit I'm fully ignorant here, but if the point of the Bondo is to smooth out the paper (since the shape is already there), why do people not create a 1/4" buildup of Bondo inside, and the sand down (through the paper, into the Bondo) to smooth it out, then use minimal amounts of filler/Bondo to build/refine any trouble areas?

I have found that it is easiest to apply bondo in many, thin layers. If you have a decent pep put together then you will want to preserve those details. It is a good idea to have a variety of sizes for your bondo applicators so that you can get into the small nooks and apply it evenly to thin edges.

It is more time consuming to apply layer after layer, but I think it makes the following sanding and detailing steps much easier.

This is just my opinion, and there is no wrong way of doing it so long as the finished product looks good.

Joshua

- - - Updated - - -

BOOTS!

I am looking at doing a Mk3 Iron Man suit but I'm not sure how I'd like to do the boots. For those of you who have crafted boots, how did you do the soles? Did you leave them open and just cast the pep around the shoe you were using, or did you use something to reinforce the pep so the pep completely surrounded the shoe (even the sole)?

Joshua

Ok so I can get pep files here but what is the whole process. Like if I take a screen shot of a costume or suit what is the process to get from there to a costume or at least making it a pep file. Making the wire frame then unfolding to printing and cutting. Just would like to learn and think it is interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked at the pepakura site (Tama ) and they recommend the Cameo

so what are the materials that i'll need for pepakura. i know i need stock paper, and resin.

is there a video or thread with all the materials like paint what glue etc.

For just the paper craft portion you'll at least want the following:

Card stock
Scissors
An exact knife
A cutting mat
Hot glue gun
Hot glue sticks

- - - Updated - - -

BOOTS!

I am looking at doing a Mk3 Iron Man suit but I'm not sure how I'd like to do the boots. For those of you who have crafted boots, how did you do the soles? Did you leave them open and just cast the pep around the shoe you were using, or did you use something to reinforce the pep so the pep completely surrounded the shoe (even the sole)?

Joshua

I'm quite curious about this as well Joshua. How exactly are the boots supposed to work?

Matt

I'm quite curious about this as well Joshua. How exactly are the boots supposed to work?

Matt

You can cut out the bottoms, and fit them right over an extra pair of shoes. You can also fill the side gaps between shoe and boot with expanding foam, just go slowly and stuff your shoe with newspaper first, then razor out excess. The foam can get crazy messy if you go overboard.

Full boots look great, but I wouldn't do it unless they are reinforced resin or fiberglass, the foam bottoms get trashed immediately. Even the fiberglass/resin ones will suck unless you add traction strips, the noise walking is annoying and mine were slippery as hell, nevermind the sole wearing way too fast. :facepalm

You can cut out the bottoms, and fit them right over an extra pair of shoes. You can also fill the side gaps between shoe and boot with expanding foam, just go slowly and stuff your shoe with newspaper first, then razor out excess. The foam can get crazy messy if you go overboard.

Full boots look great, but I wouldn't do it unless they are reinforced resin or fiberglass, the foam bottoms get trashed immediately. Even the fiberglass/resin ones will suck unless you add traction strips, the noise walking is annoying and mine were slippery as hell, nevermind the sole wearing way too fast. :facepalm

Thanks. Sounds like I'll be experimenting :D

how do i take my measurements for pepakura? like what is considered top of my head? the actual top or the top of my forehead?

Depends on what you're scaling. For a full costume suit, the top of your head should be the actual top of your head. You can use the point-to-point measurement function in Pepakura to also figure out how large pieces will be at a particular scale before printing them.

Depends on what you're scaling. For a full costume suit, the top of your head should be the actual top of your head. You can use the point-to-point measurement function in Pepakura to also figure out how large pieces will be at a particular scale before printing them.

thanks I'm asking about helmet because I'm trying to make a Boba Fett helmet.

thanks I'm asking about helmet because I'm trying to make a Boba Fett helmet.

Are you looking at changing just the scale of the height?

You may already know this, but when you're scaling a pep piece it's best to scale the entire model instead of just changing the measurement of one axis. If you only change one axis you're changing the model from it's original design and it may come out looking kind of funny. It's best to scale the whole pep via the scale factor.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back