The OT stunt lightsaber blades research thread

folks, is it true that there are two set screws on these blade collars, set opposite each other?

one of the problems I've had is that when locked, they still aren't secure and I believe that's because you're not bracing the tang against a flat surface, but between two points.

Proper Set Screw Etiquette

If it's true, that's pretty dumb, I feel pretty dumb :lol

I always assumed there was. Despite what the boards have said, I've not had any problems on my stunt hilt. My grub screws lock into a groove in the drive-shaft/tang and it hold fine. It rotates, sure, but I'm not certain there was a need for these things to be rock solid. That's counter-intuitive for knocking about.

folks, is it true that there are two set screws on these blade collars, set opposite each other?

one of the problems I've had is that when locked, they still aren't secure and I believe that's because you're not bracing the tang against a flat surface, but between two points.

Proper Set Screw Etiquette

If it's true, that's pretty dumb, I feel pretty dumb :lol
On the ESB/ROTJ antenna stunt blades I have seen, there was only one set screw on the collar.

Hmm, yea, so the reason I ask is because of Halliwax's pipe stunts. They are the closest I've seen to mimicking the flex of the blades. On all the BTS stuff I've seen they flex, and these antennas only flex that much if they're really locked in place. My whole hilt rattles and vibrates when I tap it against things and I've never gotten the blades to really flex

Also, here's a shot inside one of my foam filled antennas!
fullsizeoutput_2950.jpegfullsizeoutput_2951.jpeg

Looks like the Pipe Stunt faced off against the Barbican for the scene where luke gets his hand cut off on screen. I've seen a BTS shot where the saber he throws has a red button in front. They must have done multiple takes with different hilts. Looks like 7 grips too.... I don't believe the ANH stunt ever got huge black bolts, so maybe the pipe stunt had lots of grips to start out with
fullsizeoutput_2990.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 10.19.30 AM.png

Graflex?
lightsaberthrow.jpg

ANH Stunt
Picture 68.png
TurnLookDuel.jpg

I know of at least one with 2 set screws opposite each other
I noticed today that the pipe stunt there has a thin knurled red button! Maybe they took it out of the motorized one, would explain the giant freaking hole in it where we see the long lever

I don't think this famous shot is the pipe stunt. You'd see some black bolts on the back, and I'm pretty sure my bolt placement is accurate.
star-wars-episode-v-the-empire-strikes-back.jpgfullsizeoutput_2b2c.jpeg
I think it's this one, with the red button missing. ANH Stunt probably
ObiLever?.png6cgHhmy.jpeg

I don't know how to get it, but there's a photo on the "vintage star wars" Instagram account with a b/w photo of the carbon chamber duel (during filming a take and not a rehersal) and it's with a stunt: two red buttons and black bolts, and possibly the clamp used for the V3. Has that been posted here?

Is that a screw going into the red button?what would be the purpose of that?if the button didn’t thread in anymore and they got something to stick out of the hole then why wouldn’t they just paint it?not like they were that worried about details matching.

Attachments

• 1FDD17DB-CB48-4FDC-A4AE-A98CBDB92759.jpeg
    1FDD17DB-CB48-4FDC-A4AE-A98CBDB92759.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 70
I don't know how to get it, but there's a photo on the "vintage star wars" Instagram account with a b/w photo of the carbon chamber duel (during filming a take and not a rehersal) and it's with a stunt: two red buttons and black bolts, and possibly the clamp used for the V3. Has that been posted here?
I'll look for it too - any more specifics to recognize the photo?
Is that a screw going into the red button?what would be the purpose of that?if the button didn’t thread in anymore and they got something to stick out of the hole then why wouldn’t they just paint it?not like they were that worried about details matching.
I bet they did something different, but the pipe stunt has only a small threaded hole in that position, so basically they got a threaded stem stuck in a red button somehow.

My replica was from a Larbel and empty. The set screw secures a threaded spacer I made from scratch, just a unique thing on my personal build

there are a few vintage Star Wars pages when I searched

any more detail? Was it right at the beginning on further down their account?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back