The OT stunt lightsaber blades research thread

I recall seeing the fencing blades flex a bit in the EoD doc during Mark and Bob Anderson's fight in the freezing chamber in ESB. I believe at that point they were definitely carbon fiber rods/fiberglass rods by how they click and clack together. There's also a bit where during the dream sequence/Dagobah cave sequence where Mark whacks who I assume is Bob Anderson in the face with his blade during a take, and it staggers him back a bit. I don't think he'd have been standing had the fencing rod been aluminium.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this.

For ANH, we know the stunt blades were wood because it's documented multiple times and listening to the behind the scenes footage the sound when 2 blades strike definitely sound like wood hitting wood.

Most of the time I've heard/read that wooden 'dowles' were used for the blades.

For most of us when we think of wood dowels we think of the round stock of dowels at our local hardware store.

Since this was a movie production, between the prop/costume/set department I've got to think they had access to actual carpentry stock / professional carpentry stock and not just what a consumer would but at the hardware store. Pro carpenters have commercial vendors to supply wood products not easily available to consumers.

No matter the source, was the dowel stock used round, oval, square, hexagonal, octagonal, etc... and what type of dowel stock is available to pro carpenters?

Another think to think about is that I think every BTS photo I've seen of the ANH duel shows tapered blades. Did the prop dept purchase some kind of wood stock that comes tapered, or did they but round stock and taper it themselves?

If regular round stock was tapered, could the process of making it tapered add faceted that then made the middle/ends hexagonal/octagonal ?

Peter Diamond has said they broke 'so many blades' during the ANH duel. No matter the process, each blade needed to have the 'movie screen' material added. Was someone modifying each round dowel with facets as it was tapered and the reflective material was added, or did they start with square stock and all that was needed was to add thew reflective material?

In 'Empire of Dreams' you see Mark and Bob practicing on-set and off-set with the ANH stunt sabers and you can still hear the sound of wood hitting wood. I don't remember any BTS video where we're seeing the newer made EBS stunt sabers (The bladed MPP and the bladed Graflex) where the blades of these sabers strike each other and you can hear if the blades are wood or metal.

In 'EoD' you do hear Luke lose a stunk blade in the Throne Room duel and it's definitely a metal blade sound when it hits the floor.

I don't know, something to crew on.

James I’m not being a punk, but I was watching that EoD on YouTube for this v3 reason

We don’t actually see the blade hit the floor, did it knock something over? And that is the sound we are hearing?

Also before this listen to the strikes blade to blade, then when Luke and Vader hit the hand rail listen to those strikes

To me it’s 2 totally different sounds

I think fiberglass to fiberglass (or carbon) makes a wood sound then when the fiberglass/carbon hits metal, you hear a more metallic ding sound

Again I’m not being a smart @$$

I respect everything you’ve said, and love all the info you have shared

As for wood dowels, I’ve been a carpenter all my life and worked on many different custom jobs. I’ve never seen a tapered dowel, this doesn’t mean they don’t exist, but my whole life I’ve never seen any, when asked they can’t be found...and we have ordered lumber from Germany and Russia. And this place can’t get my taper wooden dowels

But you could easily make this on a wood lathe, they had all kinds of wood working tools to make the falcon, I have no doubt they had access to a wood lathe to make these blades

Which isn’t good for us, because it’s not easy for your average joe to taper one

I’m going to experiment this weekend with square blades, using a electric plan to try and taper it

That's excellent, Halliwax, looking forward to seeing your results!

The practicality/ease of fabrication is one of the reasons I think the square dowel is the most obvious choice for the ANH blades. If you set up a Jointer you can run square dowels through them all day. Make the angle cut on one side, flip it over and cut the other side, then put the dowel into a lathe to round off the end that goes into the Saber hilt. I have a wooden stunt blade I got from another RPFer and I have no doubt this is how it was done (you could make the cuts on a table saw too).

Yes I agree, I have a huge jointer in the big shop, if I can pull this off with the electric plan, then the jointer is the next step

Alittle update tonight, I am sick again but managed to bang this out.. the v2 is fully function and can spin the blade.

I painted the golf club white just for kicks and tonight I put a 5mm strip of electrical tape down it

Flipped the switch and she does flicker alittle as is..

The battery is very weak with only 2.8v

I don’t feel comfortable charging Lipo battery’s in my parents home. I’ll charge it outside tomorrow and then show ya

I’m very happy with it

IMG_7662.jpg

Aluminum ski pole covered in self adhesive scotchlite tape. Solid piece of aluminum glued into base with a threaded hole to screw it into my emitter. Length 96cm, diameter at base 17,5mm, tip 8mm.
View attachment 976782
View attachment 976783

That's excellent, Halliwax, looking forward to seeing your results!

The practicality/ease of fabrication is one of the reasons I think the square dowel is the most obvious choice for the ANH blades. If you set up a Jointer you can run square dowels through them all day. Make the angle cut on one side, flip it over and cut the other side, then put the dowel into a lathe to round off the end that goes into the Saber hilt. I have a wooden stunt blade I got from another RPFer and I have no doubt this is how it was done (you could make the cuts on a table saw too).

this makes me think they fabricated any tapered square dowels, and maybe gave up and just started putting straight square dowels in there. I think I remember seeing Vaders or someones that wasn't tapered..

Alittle update tonight, I am sick again but managed to bang this out.. the v2 is fully function and can spin the blade.

I painted the golf club white just for kicks and tonight I put a 5mm strip of electrical tape down it

Flipped the switch and she does flicker alittle as is..

The battery is very weak with only 2.8v

I don’t feel comfortable charging Lipo battery’s in my parents home. I’ll charge it outside tomorrow and then show ya

I’m very happy with it

View attachment 977573

oh man that looks great - electrical tape is a perfect propmakers quick fix!

this makes me think they fabricated any tapered square dowels, and maybe gave up and just started putting straight square dowels in there. I think I remember seeing Vaders or someones that wasn't tapered..

oh man that looks great - electrical tape is a perfect propmakers quick fix!

When you drop your blade Tom, does it make the same sound?

Yes, it rings a bit louder/longer than that video, but that might be a loss of sound through a mic. it sounds like you're dropping a thin walled aluminum pole on concrete.

Exactly. It’s amazing the difference in sound, I’ll try and make a video of hitting it against another club

I’m wicked sick, I’ve been fighting this for 3 weeks. Weird thing is I’m fine some days. No symptoms. Then I wake up, cold sweats, chills..

I was in the shed making that blade adapter shaking

Once it was finished I said hell with this and went back inside the house. I still need to cut up my other clubs. Once I do I’ll give them a whack

According to Steve Sansweet in this video, they used tank antenna(s) in ROTJ:

Just a roundup of thoughts:
I've never heard of any reflective coatings/materials being used after ANH. It didn't work well enough, (which was why they were animated over), so there was no point.
I don't think any faceted blades were used after ANH either, since having alternating reflective surfaces was the only reason for them to be that way.

Barring anything leftover and reused, of course.

Last edited:
I don't think there were any leftover ANH stunt blades used for practicing in ESB or ROTJ production. If they were in fact tapered, square wooden dowels they wouldn't withstand the blade-to-blade impacts seen in the btc videos with Anderson/Hamill rehearsing.

There are some shots in the btc footage from ESB where you can clearly see that the blades were coated with scotchlite material (because it reflects into the filming camera when a light source close to the filming camera was turned on). The lighsaber fight in ESB was just not shot the way the camera was set up for ANH. Scotchlite reflects almost 100% of the light that hits the material right in the direction of the light source. Means you get the best results if the light source is inside the camera, which is technically not possible. Either you place a light source that is directed towards the scotchlite-covered blades close to the camera, or you work with a semi-transparent mirror setup.

If someone can make a working spinning blade that stands up to energetic swinging without the motor grinding to a halt... don't be shy! After years of tinkering with mine it's still far from perfect. The only thing I haven't tried is a different type of bearing. I now have two roller bearings in there.

I'm very happy with the flicker effect though. It brought a smile to my face. :)

If someone can make a working spinning blade that stands up to energetic swinging without the motor grinding to a halt... don't be shy! After years of tinkering with mine it's still far from perfect. The only thing I haven't tried is a different type of bearing. I now have two roller bearings in there.

I'm very happy with the flicker effect though. It brought a smile to my face. :)

Kurt maybe a more powerful motor? I’m not having any problems with mine, and I’m not using any bearings. Just nylon bushings

I’m curious to see what my v2 will do with the square wood blade.. wonder if it will be too much weight

I don’t think it will though

What motor are you using? I've tried two but I know nothing about motors so I'm punching in the dark. My current one is the 550 12T which I had to get the tube bored out for. The ideal one would have good torque, but not spin too fast.

I think the problem is the flexing of the blade when swung hard.

Any chance you can post the link to your video here? I like your stunt saber very much - in fact, I'm still toying with the idea to convert my ANH Obi blank - which is currently a V3 - into a working ANH Obi stunt saber.

What motor are you using? I've tried two but I know nothing about motors so I'm punching in the dark. My current one is the 550 12T which I had to get the tube bored out for. The ideal one would have good torque, but not spin too fast.

I think the problem is the flexing of the blade when swung hard.

Pm in bound

Here you go Tom.

The flicker effect is now better than this. If only had a big bright light it would look so much better. Looks amazing in a darkened room though.

Love this freak’n video...

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy using a led tactical flash light with the strobe on. He aimed it at the saber and then recorded it

Have you tried anything like that? He even did it in daylight and the saber still flickered in the day light

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back