"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

I read Seth moved it to get a bigger budget, more production time, and an overall better quality product. I find this show to be a glorious love letter to Star trek. They've had some profound plots. The more he gets away from trying to be funny the better it gets. I love that Penny Johnson is in it.
I agree that as they have gotten away from trying to be funny, the show has gotten better. Don’t get me wrong...I love Seth and his comedy, and I enjoyed the episodes a lot when it was more “comedy,” but as they’ve pivoted away from that, the show has become one of the best shows I watch by a long shot.

The original title of this thread when I made it was “‘The Orville.’ A Seth MacFarlane Star Trek Parody On Fox.” But as a group we decided that wasn’t a very accurate description after the first season, so we changed the title.

I like that it still has some moments of just dumb funny comedy, but overall I really think they’ve moved in a great direction.

I got season 1 and 2 from Amazon video (digital) for $5.00 a season on sale. I can’t remember what the price was before. The DVD’s are usually in the $15.00 to $20.00 range. My daughter has Hulu, but with commercials.
Thanks for letting us know they were on Amazon. I just checked and both seasons are available for digital purchase so I will not be getting Hulu and hopefully season 3 will be available after it comes out.

I read Seth moved it to get a bigger budget, more production time, and an overall better quality product. I find this show to be a glorious love letter to Star trek. They've had some profound plots. The more he gets away from trying to be funny the better it gets. I love that Penny Johnson is in it.
Upgraded Bridge Set for season 3
x5jYGoj.jpg

I really do not like the Orville's engine room- it simply did not convey a feeling of power and technological prowess.
I do hope for a cool revise, most of the standing sets I think look OK.

Fantastic news!
I'll be doing a rewatch next year ready for the start of season 3.
I wish CBS hadnt stupidly renewed Kurtzman's contract and we could have had Seth, a man who has a deep love for Star Trek, step in and shepherd the franchise back to greatness.

I would love to see a scene where they 'pop the hood' on that engineering disk and we could see what the hardware really looks like.
I don't mind having some of the hardware unseen, if you are going to have an interstellar drive it should be dangerous. The film 'Supernova' had one of the best ones I have seen on screen- when they used it you could see that it was very difficult to jump between stars and not be killed in the process.
The ST-TOS engineering set was following the simplified tech used in that series, but you still had some bulky machines and through that grate you could see some pretty impressive structures feeding the engines (if you follow the set being in the engineering hull, if not then that was a section of the impulse deck). My issue with the the current Orville set is that aside from that almost decorative disk there is no real indications that show it to be the main engineering room of a starship- it could just as easily be a science lab or the ship's library from what you see,

I dunno, it's pretty easy for me to imagine that's some kind of miniature particle accelerator, like in the future they've managed to harness the power of a molecule to drive a spaceship. Or something like Iron Man's arc reactor.
An engine with few, if any moving parts, controlled by a super computer the size of a fingernail. All the engineers would need is a computer monitor, and a desk they could put their feet on.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back