The Orca - Jaws - 1:15 scale

mknayman

Hey folks,

Complete my build of The Orca in 1:15 scale. This was spread out over the last year of intermittent lock downs, and hampered by some serious lower back issues and life changes. But the work must continue!

You can find a full build log below, with finals at the end:

I dropped a few finals here for those who aren't interested in the full log...

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 10.41.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 10.38.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 10.38.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 10.38.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 10.38.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 10.40.18 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 10.41.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 10.41.39 AM.png
    566.8 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Definitely detailed and weathered beautifully.
BTW, you should change the title to some thing more accurate than just "1:15 Scale". This way members or people searching for the Orca, will be able to find your great build.

TazMan2000

Definitely detailed and weathered beautifully.
BTW, you should change the title to some thing more accurate than just "1:15 Scale". This way members or people searching for the Orca, will be able to find your great build.

TazMan2000
Ah shoot! It was, but I made a mistake editing it... sigh

Fantastic! Ive wanted to build an Orca for years and followed a few builds but this is by far one of the best Ive seen. Those interior details are something else.
I will be reading through for sure!

Cheers,
Josh

Fantastic! Ive wanted to build an Orca for years and followed a few builds but this is by far one of the best Ive seen. Those interior details are something else.
I will be reading through for sure!

Cheers,
Josh
Thanks a lot! Yeah... I hate to say it, I was mostly interested in doing the model so I could do the interior... lol.
Definitely check out Erik Hollander's build. It puts mine to shame. I can't fathom how he made it so clean.

You should 100% do one. I would be happy to help out with some print files for the bits I already modelled.

Pat Trittles plans are not a bad starting point, but I suggest you do some googling into some of the other plans out there... likely more accurate.

mknayman,
Great job scratch building Orca. What a great documentation attachment. The attention to detail, weathering and the original boat‘s rigging used in the movie is excellent. I too am basically a model ship builder working in wood, brass and aluminum. Therefore, I am jealous of your combination of traditional boat model techniques and coupled with those of today’s computer & 3D wizards on this site. And, you got your port & starboard lights correct !

mknayman,
Great job scratch building Orca. What a great documentation attachment. The attention to detail, weathering and the original boat‘s rigging used in the movie is excellent. I too am basically a model ship builder working in wood, brass and aluminum. Therefore, I am jealous of your combination of traditional boat model techniques and coupled with those of today’s computer & 3D wizards on this site. And, you got your port & starboard lights correct !
I had to double check the lights so many times! Was terrified to get em backwards.

Can I check out some of your stuff? I’d love to see more how to ACTUALLY make a proper wooden boat. I feel like I just brute forced everything until it looked right. This is honestly my first scratch built model and I have tons to learn.

I was lucky to have a lot of photos of other orca model builds to help me out

Okay, I was impressed with the boat itself, but adding the bloody chum bucket on the stern? You win the week in modeling. Noice.
lol, thanks so much. I was hesitant to bloody up the stern of the ship, but it's so important to Jaws... I still might add a tiny bottle old spice and a rag.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back