The One-Stop X-Wing Thread (1/24 original trilogy studio models only)

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by RPF Staff, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Re: The One-Stop X-Wing Thread

I have a question about the "barber shop pole" stripe on the two guns. Did all x-wings have this or only a specific one? I am currently working on one and was wondering if it was a required part of the paint scheme for all x-wings?

2. StevenBills

StevenBills Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I thought it was just Red 5 that had the blue stripes, but I could be wrong. Maybe some others had different colored stripes? I just built an X, and painted the stripes yellow:

Yellow Cannon1.jpg

3. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

But do they all have the stripes, one way or the other?

4. Keiko

Keiko Sr Member

No, they don't all have stripes. Red 5 and Red 3 do, most if not all of the others do not.

5. cabour

cabour Sr Member

Red 5 : 2 guns with blue stripes
    Red 3 : not on the ANH one (with the grey beige cockpit)

Red 2 : 1 gun (topside right) with a grey strip, that go farer than the red 5 ones

6. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hope this helps

Open in new tab/window for huge size

[​IMG]

7. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

more:

[​IMG]

never knew there was a Giant one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. wizardofthenorth

wizardofthenorth Active Member

Holy Hi-Rez Batman!!!

9. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Do any of the miniatures have the little arrow shape pointing towards the proton grenade launcher as did the full size one in ANH?

10. wizardofthenorth

Blue Leader/ Red II have it. This is the original first build XWing that was sent to Elstree for building the full scale mockup.
    Pretty sure no other XWings have the red arrow by the torpedo launcher.

11. Noddy4000

Noddy4000 New Member

Hi all. I've spent the last few days very happily wading through the stuck threads, looking at pics and chasing details, colours etc to help get a scratch build under way. Just wanted to first say that this is a brilliant collection of information, photos and insights. Many thanks to those who have contributed! :thumbsup :cool Wonderful idea and a real treasure trove.

I just had a long look at the fight scene over the D.S. in ANH and in doing so noticed for the first time just how often Red 2 appears. Not only on its own, posing as Red 5 when not as itself, but in pairs as well. Is this a case of multiple uses of one take (compositing, is it called?) to flesh out the Rebel Fleet? One good instance is the very first space shot of all of the fighters, X and Y, as they head out to meet the D.S. As they fly towards, then past, the camera there are four Red 2 X Wings that I can see, right there. :)

Anyway, many thanks for all of the discussions and model info.

12. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The digital X-Wings seem to be all Red 2. They lazily used those to represent any X-Wing in the revised movie.

Haystack Hair likes this.
  13. kk1

kk1 Member

14. kk1

kk1 Member

Check out Joe Johnstons page he's selling signed slides of X-wings and Y-wings and look its Red 4
    1410884_370372039775591_313389205_o-458x458.jpg

15. Davehal9000

Davehal9000 New Member

Question on the engines on Red 5;

Do the inner engines on the studio models use the same Phantom engine parts used on the exposed engines? Are the all the same? If I'm reading right I'd need 8 of one engine half and 4 of the other.

Working on the Proshop kit and will be turning new engines on a homemade lathe and it's tough to get a good look at the inner engine parts in most cases, plus some builders flat out miss some noticeable differences on a specific X-Wing. I don't expect perfection with this kit but want to represent what was seen

16. KeArn

KeArn Active Member

I am about to start an X-Wing project, and I am wondering about the bird that Wedge piloted during the battle of Endor.
    He was always Red/Rogue 2, but after Luke left for Dagobah, Wedge took over as Red/Rogue leader...
    At the battle of Endor, was he still piloting Red 2? Essentially the same ship, but with different markings, or were the markings still the same?
    I've been looking all over for information on this specific bird, but have been coming up empty handed...
    Any of you super-nerds (That's a compliment by the way) have insight or opinions on this?
    I went through the movie looking for some screen caps to help identify, but all I came up with was a screen cap that actually shows the X-Wing flying in front of the Falcon in the Death Star tunnel was marked as Red 3.

17. kk1

kk1 Member

Anyone know the story behind Grant McCune's x-wing?

10540640_641785425933679_7075332117822313156_n.jpg 10906476_641785662600322_6570166509550751478_n.jpg

18. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I saw the giant one back in 2006 in Portland Oregon. I think I read here it was made for rotj but was never used

19. wizardofthenorth

20. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like that fuselage could have been the Red Leader Pyro at one time.

21. kk1

kk1 Member

Oh cool, interesting paint job, looks like Red 1 but different...

22. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

Can anyone identify what the circled parts are on this Red-2 photo? I don't think they are decals. I've spent a long time searching various threads on here and I'm not able to figure out what they are.
    red-2-wiring-sockets2.jpg

23. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like the same type of brass-rod type fittings that are seen on some of the others in the same area (but usually above the mid-line).

24. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last I heard they were electrical connections for the lighting.

25. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Yep, they are power connectors for all the lights and motors.

26. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

Thank You.

27. ShockTrooper

ShockTrooper Well-Known Member

Hello all,in first place sorry for my ignorance but I would need your help,experts.

I am trying to find a kit with original lineage to the original ILM models but some of the kits available in the past are not available actually.

Any help?

I also would like to identify what fuselaje is this.I got it a few years ago.

Thanks in advance.

full-36715ffdae0a65f24a56c5a896a3e6d1.jpg

28. wizardofthenorth

That right there is the fuselage you are looking for. Looks to be a casting of the ILM X...Franks work I would say. A hollow two part casting too, should have less shrinkage than the solid castings.

29. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

Hi All,

I have a question and this seems like the place to ask it. The Saturn V large engine bells used in the X- Wing engines where are they trimmed remove the wrap around part? I have seen what I believe to be original models that have no trace of the wrap around piece, that but I have seen others were this part is still there. Was this an individual choice by each model maker? Looking a Jason Eaton's build of the original X-Wing the photos seem to show this part trimmed shorter. The Captain Cardboard part seems to be missing this piece. I wish I could find those pyro parts that I have in the garage but they seem to be MIA. Any help will be most appreciated.

30. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

By the way just to be clear this is the part in question. IMG_0942.jpg

31. Treadwell

All I can say is if original reference is inconsistent, then it's up to you which to emulate.

32. ShockTrooper

Still waiting for help.Thanks.

33. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

34. ShockTrooper

I´ll do.Thanks.:thumbsup

35. Hopson

Hopson Active Member

I know this thread is a bit like drinking from a fire hose there is so much information some of the threads are so old all the photos are gone which makes them less then helpful,but there is also a lot here to help. I linked to that thread because it shows all the parts needed to build the droid strip. A lot of the stuff needed is still our there and not hard to find.

36. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Anyone know where you can download x-wing decals? Preferably ones that you can change the size on to fit your model?

37. StevenBills

The decals would all be different depending on which bird you're building.

SB

38. StevenBills

Scanned in the Blue Leader photo from Sculpting a Galaxy today. Thought I'd share here:

Blue Leader_Large.jpg

SB

VFX Freak likes this.
  39. kokkari

kokkari Sr Member

I'm working on a SS Red 5 and was wondering if anyone can identify if this is a decal or something else on the studio model? It's on the nose on the port side. I don't have a high enough res photo to see it in detail. Any help from the pros as to what it is would be greatly appreciated.
    kg_studio-red5-cap-003a.jpg kg_studio-red5-cap-003a (1).jpg

40. Miranda Tempest

Miranda Tempest Active Member

41. KeArn

KeArn Active Member

So I'm building my 1/48ish MPC X-Wing, and it's just...ugh...anyways, the R2 unit that comes with the kit is really just horrid, so I'm curious what some of the veterans have done with this, or if there's even a replacement option out there?

42. Treadwell

Best to ask in General Modeling, this thread is about the 1/24 SS models.

43. KeArn

KeArn Active Member

My bad...when I saw this on the 1st page -> ROTJ MPC X-Wing by Jm419 - http://www.therpf.com/f10/return-jed...budget-121671/ , and then read that this kit was used in both ESB, and ROTJ, I thought this would be the place to ask my X-Wing questions...it being a One-Stop thread and all.
    I'll ask elsewhere.

Treadwell likes this.
  44. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I haven't seen any in 1/48 scale that might be upgrades. I'm sure the fine molds 1/48 x-wing's artoo is probably an upgrade though. But it wouldn't make much sense to buy one for the artoo unit alone would it.

I would suggest searching shapeways for one, but I've just looked and couldn't find one on there. They have a Deagostini Falcon scaled one, but I think that'd be about 1/43 scale.

45. Treadwell

Sorry to be a hard *; in a regular discussion thread there'd be some wiggle room, but this is a pinned depository of info on a very specific subject and it's best to keep clutter to a minimum. :)

Junk Pilot likes this.
  46. KeArn

KeArn Active Member

Thank you for doing a little legwork for me!

Yup, as I said, not a problem. I'll probably just open a project thread in GM and see if anyone can help in there.
    Thanks!

47. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

48. BathVader

BathVader New Member

Hi all,

First off, I'm new (hope this doesn't push anyone away!). I've been a Star Wars fan since I was a kid, and have been mostly involved in arts and craft since I was younger. I've never really done modelling in the professional sense (I've done maybe two or three in the past without the weathering and stuff) that I see all over this forum, but I am interested in starting and have finally summoned the balls and banished the procrastination to do so. And so, I've a few questions I thought would be relevant here.

With the new movie out and all, I was really interested in the new tech for everything, and so I'm really psyched about starting on a T-70 X-wing from TFA? With minimal research I found two models - one from Bandai and one from Revell (the level 2 one). My first concern was proportion. I would assume Bandai kits are to scale and brilliantly detailed, but I was worried the Revell wouldn't stand up to the same expectations. That said, I was looking for something bigger than Bandai's 1/72 model. Therefore: would you guys recommend the Bandai model, the Revell Level 2 model or just waiting it out and seeing what comes next?

Also, any tips when getting started? I really don't want this to turn out like one of the models I tried years ago - an incomplete mess of broken pieces all over my room.

Sorry for the long typing (I'm long-winded that way) but thanks in advance for any assistance. Also - I really respect the work you guys do! Truly artistic ****, gents.

49. i am leaf

i am leaf New Member

50. Treadwell

Folks, please read the three or four posts preceding yours in this thread. This thread is about the 1/24 studio models in the original trilogy only.

I guess we need to ask a mod to rename the thread to make that clear.

MonsieurTox likes this.