The official miles morales build with my 12 year old...(pic heavy)..

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by ugameenough, Nov 11, 2011.

1. ugameenough

ugameenough Active Member

Heres a quick summary of the progress so far.

project start date NOV 9 2011

today my son and i went to the lair to pick our reserved copy of ultimate comics spiderman. premiering miles morales. the controversial new spidey whos half black and half spanish.

ive been talking about this project with him for months. i even tried to join forums to find a cheap easy solution to turning my son into miles morales.

but it was to no avail. the guys there r really talented. and i respect there work. but to try and get the secrets to makin the perfect suit from them was kinda hard. i spent alot of time on the forum learning and looking. and it has sparked my creative juices.

so as im looking for ref pics of the suit. i came up with the idea of doing the webbing, elbows, knees and eyes. but i can only really start the knees , elbows and maybe the chest spider.

NOV 10th....
    today i received 5 sheets of 1mm foam sheets that i plan to use somehow on the miles morales build.

i have already drawn the shapes for the knee and elbow pads but only started on one of the elbows.

ok so the cutting didnt go as well as planed. while cutting with the scissors i learned to be careful with the cutting edge of the scissors. if you cut at an angle you will get an angled cut. i guess its a science that ill have to master in time.

all in all im happy with the end result of the elbow. now to sew it into some type of leathery material.....

STAY TUNED! TRUE BELIEVERS!

2. ugameenough

went out today and picked up the cushion fabric to wrap the 1mm elbow and knee pieces i have cut out, as well as the fabric thats gonna hold them into place and form the pads.

3. ugameenough

sorry for my delay in posting... been kinda busy.

heres some progress...

ive sewn the cushion to the 1mm foam pieces. mind you... i have never sewn a day in my life. so i guess thats not bad.... right? lol

the markings on the pad pieces are for ref to the right elbow. they will be taken off later.

well thats it for now.. now time to learn how to sew with my moms old trusty machine. ttys.....

4. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

I like the detail work you're putting into this, should be awesome once done.

5. ugameenough

im tryin! lol thanks for the compliment. means alot....

6. Tk-Devo

Tk-Devo Well-Known Member

Great looking build, best of luck on it!

7. Wallcrawler248

Wallcrawler248 Well-Known Member

I like how your doing the the suit Miles is wearing the very first time we see him as Spider-man, most builds I see are the black & red version. Go Uga go!!

8. Scottryan15

Scottryan15 Well-Known Member

I really like the Knee/elbow things lol
    :p

9. ugameenough

i couldnt sleep last night so i decided to finish the right elbow pad. hopefully tonight i will be able to do the rest of the pads. lets see what happens lol

10. ugameenough

sorry about the pics being sideways. ill get that fixed up next time around lol

11. ugameenough

ok so i got lazy tonight. it was a long day. lol but i decided to start sketching the web pattern by hand before hookin em up in illustrator.

12. Doh2

Doh2 Sr Member

So far, so good. I prefer this look over the skinned basketball we'll be seeing next year.

13. Scottryan15

wait how do you plan on doing the costume, printing it? 3D webs?

14. ugameenough

@scotty.. im goin to use blue and red 4way stretch spandex. and as far as the webbing... i might do silk screen with a light puff. or i can always airbrush it. i really dont want to send it out. when i do the black and red version. imma consider sending the black to get the octagon pattern printed so i can do the red webbing by hand. now with the chest spiders, im going to cast them out of somethin jus dont know what yet. ill figure it out when i get there. lol

15. ugameenough

quick fyi.. im a professional silk screener, and i have my own four color press.

16. Scottryan15

Could you do dye sublimation? is that what you mean?

17. ugameenough

yea that lol i live in the city so its not hard to find a good printer in nyc's fashion district.

18. Scottryan15

How much would something cost you to print? could you do something for me?

19. ugameenough

sorry for being mia. i was moving and now finally got my internet and house in order. time to get back to work. @scotty15 hit me up with what u have in mind for the silk screen thing. ttys.....

20. ugameenough

DEC.1.11

couldnt sleep last night or should i say this morning. any how... here some pics of the semi finished pads. all thats left for them is to wrap them in black fabric. and i would have to say... my sewing skills r much better than my first attemp at the sewing stuff lol

21. ugameenough

sorry bout the sideways pics.. i really am....

22. ugameenough

ok... so heres the latest.... ive finally finished the right knee pad. i did it all by hand. the next few will be done with an attempt at the sewing machine...

23. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

Looking good bro, your kids a lucky dude

24. ugameenough

thanks dude. this is my first costume build ever...

25. ugameenough

quick update! finished sewing all pads and received the fabric for the suit. the jersey knit fabric is goin to give the red a sweet effect, but im not sure imma go with it. what do you guys think?

btw.. always use a thimble. as u can see i found my nightess in shining armor lol

26. merkymerx

merkymerx Active Member

Really interesting build, mate. Can't wait to see the finished product :D

27. ugameenough

k ive been sick like a dog for the past few days, but somehow mustered up the strength to start our web work for the build. i plan on silk screening if not airbrushing the webbing. another idea i would like to toy with is maybe the webbing will look cool pipped into the suit. idk. guess well just have to stick around and see.

ttyl webb heads!

28. ugameenough

heres some better line work...

29. ugameenough

ok... one more update b4 bed... ive finally tweeked the lines jus the way we want them and put it through photoshop. tomorrow ill get workin with it in AI. goodnight and be safe to all......

30. mosarmini

mosarmini Active Member

You seem just like peter parker in the movie when he was making his costume, only you already have a lot more set, so far so good man!

31. ugameenough

SORRY FOR THE DELAYS IN POST GUYS!!! its hard being a single dad. and caretaker to 3 disabled adults. but hey its what i gotta do. n e how....

heres some of the latest. i finally learned how to use cs5 illustrator and im quite impressed with myself. cant wait till my son wakes up and sees this. i still have to warp the center neck lines so that when i sew the halves together
    it comes out uniform to the outer neck webs.

ill be back soon jus stay tuned....

32. ugameenough

ok the chest is officially done! well except for the center lines being corrected that is, and it actually being silk screened and sewn. i also forgot to mention i did my own trace of the chest spider in illustrator.

33. merkymerx

merkymerx Active Member

The pattern's looking really clean! Nice job on that! Looking forward to seeing more updates :D

34. ugameenough

@merkymerx... thanks...

35. ugameenough

well.... in these pics. we are using a spidey face shell play mask from wallmart that we picked up for 5 dollars. i think its by marvel. it has everything we need to fabricate our own version of the shell. i looked around and brads was pretty good. but i needed somethin more. im plannin on removing the webbing and eye frames that are jus glued on to the front. extending the area above head and stretch the chin down a bit. so i could look like some what of a helmet. and replacing the frames with some frames i drew up in illustrator. gotta run. feel free to ask away... if ud like ill try to get back to ya quick. be safe and see ya soon.

36. CODE ANON

CODE ANON New Member

DUDE! Friggin Awesome work so far!

37. ugameenough

Hey guys sorry its been a while. Ive ben super busy. Like i said it tough being a single dad lol but hey what can i say i love it lol
    heres the latest in pics. Ill be adding explanations tomorrow but please feel free to ask questions. Ill answer wit time ok. Take care see ya tomorrow. Good night.....

38. ugameenough

Heres some reference pics im using. Hope you guys enjoy...

39. CODE ANON

CODE ANON New Member

ur doing an EPIC job ugameenough!!! I'm officially jealous of your son lol Wish I had someone to make me a Miles suit.

40. usconcept

usconcept Well-Known Member

Amazing work

41. kw1968

kw1968 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

everything is looking great man

42. Steamboat Spidey

Steamboat Spidey Active Member

Awesome job, ug! Keep up the great work!

43. Web_Slinger

Web_Slinger Active Member

This is looking like an amazing build, i can't wait to see the finished result.

44. ugameenough

ok i havent added much descriptions lately, but heres where were at.. i made a pattern of his head and body and thanks to my good old singer and a few sewing videos on youtube here it is. still raw i will be making a screen using a 156 mesh since i will be using a puff additive to my black lines. and you really cant see the red spandex that will be under the jersey type fabric. and we cant forget the piping that has to be sewed into the edges of the red printed chest, and legs...wait till i tell you how i plan to do the spider.... your gonna love it. feel free to ask any questions and ill try to get back to you soon. o and i kinda fixed the pads in place more or less just as a mock up ok thats not how they are gonna stay...

45. ugameenough

i know ive been awa for some time.. it dosnt mean i have abandoned our lil project. lately ive just been perfecting my mask pattern to work with the face shell. im open to criticism so please feel free to leave it. lol o and the material im using to draw the lines is the white 4 way spandex from spandex world in the city. and a 2 way stretch jersey nit which i plan to back with a red spandex...( Spandex World Inc. spandex fabric, lycra stretch fabric ) i have several swatches from walkin around there show room. and the final mask is going to be silk screened with black puff paint on the red jersey nit. im making the puff with a black water based black ink by enviroline f. and a puff addituve to give me that raised lookk. but im not gonna OD on the puff . youll jus have to see.im goin to be using a ratio of 90/10. 90 ink.. and 10 puff additive....im still workin... ok gotta work in the mornin ttyl.... peace.......

46. ugameenough

i forgot to add i revamped the chest webs and spider. im still trying to find a place that will water jet or my spider. if anyone knows please let me know... if not imma have to carve it out of some modeling clay i have layin around... i really wanna make a mold out of the spider so i can make it out of a silicone rubber. i hope i make sense to you. this is my first time trying this stuff. people say im crazy... i say f@#k it.. i hope i dont get in trouble for that sorry guys just a lil excited. ive also been workin with taylormcmanus. hope to post pics of that soon. gotta get his permission.. again peace out, be safe... the refreshment is my sons way of thankin me for the work im putting in on this. he put it in my favorite cup lol gotta love him.....

47. ugameenough

ok so i decided to make a glove while watching marvel mashup on my dvr. funniest thing ever made time fly bye... so heres some pics.... ok for some reason its not letting me add them brb

48. ugameenough

ok got it workin.. lol

49. ugameenough

ok done sewing the gloves now time to work on some web lines. also a couple of pics of my lil home shop lol... and my miles actin stupid lol

50. ugameenough

ooops forgot some pics lol