The Noisy Cricket Build

And, all together, minus the pin and the hammer.
IMG_7748.jpg
IMG_7747.jpg

Lights on!

IMG_7749.jpg

And with the hammer just set in place.
IMG_7750.jpg

For my next steps, attach hammer, fabricate the pin(s), and try my hand at Eethan’s cool weathering.

Awesome! you even found black screws, neat!
the hammer I just attached with E6000, but it will come loose any moment! I don't know what would be the best way to do that. Solder would be nice but I'm a bit scared to destroy everything at the last minute...
I notice that you have the light bleeding out at the back, if you notice on mine, I copied the screen used, I cut a big rubber plumbing seal and just press fit it in place, it looks exactly like the screen used and it's very efficient and easy.
nice work, almost there! :)

You guys are machines! I’m just not brave enough to try this.

Funky, did you get a kit?

My advice is to break it down into chunks. And start slowly and simply.

I know I was intimidated as all get out when I opened the box and saw a pile of parts and no instructions, diagrams or even hints.

Which is part of the reason why I started this build log: someone else can, hopefully, learn from my meandering path to the noisy cricket.

The other part of the reason is the wealth of knowledge and help from other members on therpf. I cannot thank these people enough for their valuable advice and skills!

Lol! Please keep in mind, Funky, that it took me quite awhile of staring into the box before I started it.

But, once I started filling and polishing, I just had to see it thru the rest of the steps.

Of course, then I put it away for 4+ months before tackling it again. All because of the tiny screws!

After seeing a Noisy Cricket from this run show up in the junkyard a couple of weeks ago, I realized that I never put up my final image of the project.

So, here goes!

The stand was put together by my workshop mate (and 17 year old son), who loves to do metal work.

I am still a bit upset that the communications from the original creator of the kit were non-existent. But, by the grace of a number of RPFers, I was able to figure out the screw size and a huge thanks to eethan for the tip about the aluminum rod.

My Cricket does the green glow. However, I seem to have developed an intermittent short in the switch somewhere. So, now it will occasionally glow on command. But more often, it flickers and dims and looks like it is about to melt down. Given the softness of the metal, that would be a possibility. Perhaps, in the future, I'll take it apart and try my hand at rewiring it a little more elegantly. At this point, I am just happy it is done and I am moving on to the next garage kit that has been sitting on the shelf for a number of years...

mckee_20200427_161054.jpg
mckee_20200427_162621.jpg
mckee_20200427_162840.jpg
mckee_20200427_162859.jpg
mckee_20200427_162927.jpg
mckee_20200427_162941.jpg
mckee_20200427_163000.jpg
mckee_20200427_163142.jpg
mckee_20200427_163359.jpg

I nearly got in on this run, seeing how nice yours is now regert. Great job!

Fett_Ish these kits were junk, they should of been melted down and recast. McKeephoto did an amazing job repairing it and putting it together. I bought one and had to fill in large holes and gaps in the metal. Its in the junkyard if you’re interested.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back