The New Mutants

Just watched the Collider vid...., the power’s that be at Disney SUCK ! re; their so-called ‘reasoning’ for not releasing this film.
Using ‘excuses’ , and not taking their current ‘financial’ situation - which they only have themselves to blame - on an acquisition they proceeded with having their greedy ‘eyes wide open’ in doing so....
Their damn Trojan horse is full of S**T !!!
Yet another example of ‘Powerful A-hole know it alls’ coming in, blaming others for their shortcomings, and protecting their own skins regardless of who they screw over ! Hating Disney right now. :mad::mad::mad:
Rant over.

More important, and better things to do.

I feel like you're taking this awfully personally...

Heh !, yeah firesprite, maybe ..., not sure how else one’s supposed to take pathetically manufactured info like this, from this corporate Giant !?
Going from totally surprised ( in a brilliantly great way ) upon hearing about this project 4+ yrs ago - been/being a huge fan of the characters, stories and comics since they were introduced, then with the delays for various reasons ( understandable with the film makers wanting to present the best version they could ), and now finding out how it won’t see the light of day due to some BS from higher-ups even though it’s probably ready for release, and not giving the general public a chance to make up their own mind about it !?...,
What !?..., every single film release with the Disney stamp on it has to make mega profits now - or it’s shelved indefinitely !?

So yeah, possibly taking this news more seriously ( and stupidly personal ) than it deserves ...., the reasons behind why - just pisses me off is all.

Last edited:
Heh !, yeah firesprite, maybe ..., not sure how else one’s supposed to take pathetically manufactured info like this, from this corporate Giant !?
Going from totally surprised ( in a brilliantly great way ) upon hearing about this project 4+ yrs ago - been/being a huge fan of the characters, stories and comics since they were introduced, then with the delays for various reasons ( understandable with the film makers wanting to present the best version they could ), and now finding out how it won’t see the light of day due to some BS from higher-ups even though it’s probably ready for release, and not giving the general public a chance to make up their own mind about it !?...,
What !?..., every single film release with the Disney stamp on it has to make mega profits now - or it’s shelved indefinitely !?

So yeah, possibly taking this news more seriously ( and stupidly personal ) than it deserves ...., the reasons behind why - just pisses me off is all.

Honestly, I'm not unsympathetic here. I understand being disappointed. But the way I see it very little of Fox's output in the superhero genre led me to believe this movie would be anything but hot trash.

The first Fantastic Four movies were... not good.
Fan4stic was not even hot trash, it was dreary, lifeless trash.
The Wolverine movies, outside of Logan were fair-to-middling.
Most of the X-Men movies have been less-than-stellar, failing to make effective use of the characters and their powers.

Although there have been glittering examples of what could be, the characters (Deadpool 1 and 2, First Class, Logan, X2), there's no getting around the fact that most of the Fox superhero films have been terrible. X-men Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix were the straws that broke the camel's back.

Could New Mutants have been fine? Eh, possibly... At this point, it sounds like they were getting to the point where there's just been too much tinkering with the thing and it would've been a mess. That said, maybe it'll get a release on dvd/streaming and we can judge for ourselves.

The bottom line, for me, is that I have more trust in the PTB at Marvel than I do in anything at Fox, so I'm inclined to believe that it probably was a bad movie that wasted the potential of a good property.

Could New Mutants have been fine? Eh, possibly... At this point, it sounds like they were getting to the point where there's just been too much tinkering with the thing and it would've been a mess. That said, maybe it'll get a release on dvd/streaming and we can judge for ourselves.

The bottom line, for me, is that I have more trust in the PTB at Marvel than I do in anything at Fox, so I'm inclined to believe that it probably was a bad movie that wasted the potential of a good property.

Agreed. The general gist of the article implies that the film had already been messed about with far too much by Fox prior to the Disney buy out. This combined with how Dark Phoenix had performed, it's not going to be worth the financial cost of releasing it worldwide. I suspect it'll appear on Disney+

Remember; Dark Phoenix lost an astronomical amount of money, and it's meant to be *the* flagship X-Men title. No way will Disney want to just throw money away on a film that already has had such a troubled production.

^That’s not the impression I got from watching the Collider segment.

Anyhoo, as far as Disney not wanting to ‘throw money away on a troubled production’ seems they did just that on Solo ? - a film which I didn’t mind by the way..., after seeing it. Not great, but not too bad for what it was.
Yeah, it’s a different ‘kettle of fish’ argument, but still !?

Not really knowing anything about the how/what/where etc..., of films being released , I do appreciate the responses shared here concerning the possible/probable ‘why’ of this New Mutants film being a no go in theatres....
I don’t subscribe to any streaming services - so here’s hoping against hope the film will eventually make it to the DVD/Blu-Ray medium.
This franchise deserves a much better opportunity - than it’s been given.

Last edited:
^That’s not the impression I got from watching the Collider segment.

Anyhoo, as far as Disney not wanting to ‘throw money away on a troubled production’ seems they did just that on Solo ? - a film which I didn’t mind by the way..., after seeing it. Not great, but not too bad for what it was.
Yeah, it’s a different ‘kettle of fish’ argument, but still !?

Not really knowing anything about the how/what/where etc..., of films being released , I do appreciate the responses shared here concerning the possible/probable ‘why’ of this New Mutants film being a no go in theatres....
I don’t subscribe to any streaming services - so here’s hoping against hope the film will eventually make it to the DVD/Blu-Ray medium.
This franchise deserves a much better opportunity - than it’s been given.

Necro reply here, but I think it's worth pointing out the distinction between Solo and New Mutants.

Solo was a Disney "in house" production. Meaning they developed it from top to bottom, and financed from top to bottom. (Obviously, this was run through their LFL division, but you get my point.) New Mutants is someone else's...er...mutant baby. It's something that was greenlit by someone else, financed by someone else, and made crappy by someone else. If they release it, even if they released it under a Fox logo (and I'm not even 100% sure that they'll be releasing anything under that logo from here on out), it's now a Disney product and any stink on it rubs off on Disney and Disney's other Marvel brands.

You can dispute the quality of the stuff Disney puts out, but do not ever for a second think that they are ****ing around when it comes to their attempts at brand management. They may make mistakes, but those mistakes are their own mistakes. They are not likely to want to take on any extra crap for the mistakes of the clowns at Fox who mismanaged the mutant properties for ages (even if they had a couple of decent films and a charismatic cast). There's just no upside to any of that, especially if they're gonna take the franchise in another direction.

My guess is that they let both FF and X-men cool off for a bit, and then in another 3-5 years, they'll start to work them into mainstream Marvel.

Better....

but to me.. just a wasted opportunity to bring in a new group of characters and actors...

starting with such an odd/complicated background and storyline is going to be hard to 'sell' these 'noobs' to the masses IMO.

If it was 'lighter/brighter' with a decent story (everyone likes a dedicated villain ;) ) they probably could have got a few films out of this crew/character group

I'm sure they took all of the good scenes and threw it in the trailer and everything else is garbage. I have zero trust in anything the former Fox ever did. It isn't something they can salvage without throwing it all away and starting over.

I was surprised the trailer was for a movie. It felt like a CW TV show or something. I may catch it when it makes it to streaming some day, but I don't imagine I'll hit theaters for it.

Last edited:
New trailer. Still not sure how I feel about it, but it seems more coherent than before, so that's a start...

Thanks for sharing this firesprite .
Still not sure if introducing these characters by going the ‘horror’ movie route was a good idea or not and likely agree with x197 on the choice , but I’ll admit to being slightly ‘stoked’ when hearing the names of the group being called out... Just missing Shan & Amara for mine if this was meant to be an origin story setup.
One little niggling point - the age of the Mutants mentioned, seem to be inconsistent with the comics. I mean Danni & Sam are supposed to be older than the rest ( by a couple - to a few years ) but they all look to be about the same ages, with Danni’s character looking even younger than the rest ?

Overall, from this snippet - I for one am certainly grateful it’s finally getting released , and hoping for more than a pleasant surprise .

I was surprised the trailer was for a movie. It felt like a CW TV show or something. I may catch it when it makes it to streaming some day, but I don't imagine I'll hit theaters for it.

I agree.. I got a (lame) CW vibe from it as well..

I want, and I’m hoping this film will succeed ( speaking to all the ‘ true believers ‘ out there - !? ) , and hopefully it’ll generate enough interest in the wider viewing public that it’ll ‘ spawn ‘ sequels regardless of who’s in ‘ control .

What’s happened to this film ?, were the ‘reshoots’ done, was the final film completed ?, is it ever going to see the light of day !?.... so many other projects are finding their way to our screens... via whichever service, why’s this gone completely ‘silent’ ?....

What’s happened to this film ?, were the ‘reshoots’ done, was the final film completed ?, is it ever going to see the light of day !?.... so many other projects are finding their way to our screens... via whichever service, why’s this gone completely ‘silent’ ?....

It hasn't gone silent, it was finished and completed! It was released in cinemas in the US and others on August 28th. It's still out at my local cinema in the UK now.

So far the film has made a box office of 23 million.

It hasn't gone silent, it was finished and completed! It was released in cinemas in the US and others on August 28th. It's still out at my local cinema in the UK now.

So far the film has made a box office of 23 million.

Hey thanks for sharing the info mate.
So it was released in the U.K & U.S already ?.... why not here in Aus !?
Is the box office return the only factor holding back a more general release ? ...
This terrible pandemic isn’t overlooked of course, but in Australia (except, until recently Victoria) has had access to theatre goers for quite awhile now. I’m in Perth, W.A.

So it was released in the U.K & U.S already ?.... why not here in Aus !?
Is the box office return the only factor holding back a more general release ? ...

No idea to be honest - it could be pandemic related. It seems that there was a clause in the contracts of the actors that it had to be released in theaters first before streaming websites, which may have led to the limited release at theaters. But the DVD/BluRay release is slated for the 17th of November, so you may get to see it soon!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back