The New Mutants

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Vivek, May 13, 2015.

1. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

The only thing that gives me any faith is there's a Donner involved but producers don't do much but handle the cash. I bet they pick some new characters that nobody has heard of for it instead of going with the originals from the 90s, then again they could use this to make an xforce movie too.

3. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Fixed that for ya.

Wes R and Riceball like this.
  4. Dessa

Dessa Well-Known Member

Yeah, 90s was Generation X. Which was good, for the first half of it, at least. Then it got weird.

And we won't mention what's been done with that property, either.

I haven't been watching the post-Last Stand X-Men movies, but I'm optimistic about this, because I've always loved New Mutants. I've heard rumors somewhere (no clue where) that they're looking at Inferno as a possible storyline for a future X-Men movie, and New Mutants would allow them to introduce Illyana and get the ball rolling toward that.

5. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I should be ashamed of myself being a marvel and x-series fan from the late 80s to the mid 90s. FIY i think the Gen-X tv movie is roaming youtube.

6. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

It'd be hard for them to do Inferno without Madelyne Pryor which is opening a HUGE can of worms that most fans of the X-men only through the movies haven't been set up to deal with.

7. Dessa

Dessa Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. The main plot of Inferno is the demons trying to take over Earth. Establish the New Mutants as a sister-franchise, then in a second movie give us Illyana and her backstory (or at least a modified version of it), and then have her powers go crazy in an Inferno crossover between the two. It would totally work, without involving Madelyne at all.

Riceball likes this.
  8. Paul Andrew

Paul Andrew Sr Member

Inferno is a classic comic story, but I don't think they're going to take the X-Men film franchise into the supernatural. Everything so far is psuedo-scifi, I think throwing in demons would be counter to the feel they've developed. Some of my favorite X-Men stories are crossovers with Ghost Rider and Blade, but I just can't see them going that route on screen.

Riceball and firesprite like this.
  9. Vivek

10. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

11. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Side note:

Fox is NEVER EVER EVER giving up the X-men franchise.

And you know what? I'm good with that. At this point, I kind of prefer the X-men existing in their own little pocket universe, and Marvel-land being focused more on the threat posed by Inhumans and other super-powered individuals.

The X-men/Mutant continuity can just be it's own thing. At this point, I find the kind of prejudicial stuff that X-men focuses on to be either irrelevant (they're just another superpowered person) or incongruous (wait, the guy who can shoot lasers from his eyes because he was the victim of a scientific accident gone awry is ok, but the guy who's born with those powers isn't?!). Better to just have them be their own thing.

Riceball likes this.
  12. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I agree, the X franchise is the only one Fox seems to be able to get right more often than they miss.

Riceball likes this.
  13. Vivek

14. Dessa

Dessa Well-Known Member

Do have to twitch at the article referring to that as the "traditional starting lineup." Illyana didn't join the team until issue 14, she was still a child before that. They're also missing Xi'an, who was a part of the original team. IIRC, Amara and Doug also joined the team before Illyana did.

If they do it right, I'll probably see it. I've been avoiding the X movies since 3, since they started * with the histories of characters and all, but I've always loved New Mutants. I should actually figure out which books I still need to finish the run, I know I have most of them.

15. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

Yesss we get 80s and 90s era X-Men! They have a lot of time before they catch up to X-Men 2000 and they should indeed take full advantage since those years were all about the bright & tight clothing that the mutants wear!

16. annanake

annanake Sr Member

Am I ever gonna get to see Longshot or the beyonder in a movie ???
    Seems like they have done everything but ? Lol

17. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

They're also missing the weird yellow and black robot character whose name I forgot. He was on the team around the same time as all of the rest although I don't recall if he was an original member or not. Wasn't there also a kind of lame character whose ability was being able to speak all different languages after hearing them or something else not very useful for fighting bad guys?

18. annanake

annanake Sr Member

They would have to go full CGI to do warlock ( I think that was his name) justice at all !

B-Movie Zombie likes this.
  19. Dessa

Dessa Well-Known Member

That would be Warlock, who showed up later (after Magik, IIRC). And Doug Ramsey/Cypher I mentioned in my post. Also, he was not lame, he was pretty * cool, especially after he realized that he could understand a bit of how Warlock worked since his abilities included computer language, and the two teamed up.

Just for reference, the original team, as per the original graphic novel, was Rahne Sinclair (Wolfsbane), Sam Guthrie (Cannonball), Danielle Moonstar (Psyche, later Mirage), Xi'an Coy Manh (Karma), and Roberto da Costa (Sunspot). Amara Aquilla (Magma) first appeared in New Mutants #8. Doug Ramsey (Cypher) first appeared in New Mutants #13, and Illyana Rasputina (Magik) first appeared (as Magik, previously she was a child) in New Mutants #14, but neither joined the team immediately after their first appearance. Illyana did join before Doug, as Doug joined alongside Warlock, who first appeared in New mutants #18.

Assuming they're going anything by the comics, Storm was the mentor of the team after she lost her powers. At that time, Xi'an had rejoined the team (she left before Amara joined), and the team was comprised of Sam, Dani, Rahne, Xi'an, Roberto, Illyana, Amara, Doug, and Warlock. Now, Xi'an was... obese... at the time, but they don't have to use that part of the storyline (she regains her original form soon after, although that won't be used, either, since it involves Loki). I do agree that Warlock would be hard to animate, and Doug, while being cool, doesn't have powers that would translate well on screen. Still, other than the confirmed Sam, Dani, Rahne, Roberto, and Illyana, we do still need Xi'an and Amara. The only reason I can see them leaving those two off would be because the team would be too female-heavy. In which case they could easily use either other characters (who may or may not have joined the New Mutants formally at any point, I personally wouldn't be averse to seeing Jonothan Starsmore (Chamber) or Everett Thomas (Synch) from Gen X included), or make up a couple new ones. You'd have a good ethnic mix, too. American, Native American (Cherokee, specifically), Scottish, Brazilian, Russian, Vietnamese, and European (Amara's country doesn't actually exist in the real world). Plus, Xi'an being lesbian, leaving her out, with her being a founding member of the team, has some unfortunate implications, other than her being the only Asian on the team.

20. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

21. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

22. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

23. Dessa

Dessa Well-Known Member

Why does 'Yana have Lockheed?

24. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I like the casting so far.

25. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

26. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

27. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

28. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

29. gedmac66

gedmac66 Sr Member

New Mutants Film ?

G'day gang ,
    Having read that a New Mutants film was in the works ( being a fan/collector of the comics ) , was wondering if this project is still happening ?
    Asking cause , apart from the few ' updates ' gleaned from various sites , it's been pretty quiet so far . Any updates/info greatly appreciated .
    Cheers Ged.

30. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

31. Vivek

Re: X-Men: New Mutants

Josh Boone: Last week shooting #newmutants

[​IMG]

gedmac66 and Fawbish like this.
  32. Vivek

Re: X-Men: New Mutants

Teaser trailer will be up after midnight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaJpp6djUTu/

Josh Boone: There’s Something New To Fear #tomorrow #newmutants #teaser #xmen #thenewmutants #fridaythe13th

[​IMG]

gedmac66 and Axlotl like this.
  33. Vivek

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    gedmac66 likes this.
  34. gedmac66

gedmac66 Sr Member

:eek:confused:popcorn:p , - yeah all those emotions / feelings after watching that ‘ trailer ‘ . Been a NM fan from the beginning ( part of my early teenage years ) , so don’t really know what to think of that snippet . Guess they’re going for a darker aspect ( some story arcs in the comics reflected similar themes ) with these characters’ first outing , as opposed to what we’ve seen from other ‘ mutant based ‘ films . Can’t wait to see this , the first of many. ( I hope ) .

35. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

Love the horror aspect, not all mutants make it to the Mansion

36. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

I'm a bit torn on this one. I firmly believe that superheroes work best when set in different genres (Winter Soldier, for example, is a 70's/80's spy thriller that happens to have superheroes in it), so I'm intrigued by the concept of mutants in a haunted house-style horror movie. It also fits fairly well with the idea that this is supposed to be an adaptation of the Spirit Bear storyline.

However, I'm not really sold on what we've been shown so far.

I will definitely be interested to see additional trailers to see if we get more power usage, etc.

My husband is less sanguine on the scenario than I am because he dislikes them cherrypicking storylines without build-up, but there's not much to be done in the Fox-verse as they have more or less separate storylines for their Marvel properties as far as anyone has said. In all honesty, I think that unless they're willing to take the time that Marvel has to build the MCU (and not try to shortcut it), the only way we would ever get a really proper adaptation of the X-characters would be a GoT or Westworld style television show. The stories that were told in the X-titles tend to be better suited to long-form storytelling over many hours, not just squishing them into 90-150 minutes, IMO.

Axlotl, gedmac66 and Riceball like this.
  37. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Can't say that the trailer particularly impressed me nor make me overly interested in seeing the movie even I'm big a mutant fan. Nothing about this trailer really screams New Mutants to me, it looks more like some generic horror movie than one about teenage mutants. Hopefully later trailers will show more of what this movie is about, which, hopefully, is just a comic book with some horror elements and not a horror movie with some comic book theming.

Axlotl and gedmac66 like this.
  38. xl97

xl97 Sr Member

What the...

Huge NM fan when I was a kid (all "X" titles actually)..

But 'this'.... this screams (bad) horror film.. nothing New Mutant.. or comic or hero.. (to me at least)

What a shame.. :(

B-Movie Zombie and Riceball like this.
  39. Usagi Pilgrim

Usagi Pilgrim Sr Member

To me, it seems like the focus will be on Dani losing her parents & discovering she's a mutant, therefore, unable to control her powers. Since she can manifest others darkest fears or greatest desires, I think the horror aspect is a great setting. Then, when the Demon Bear shows up, there'll be confusion as to what's real.

Axlotl and gedmac66 like this.
  40. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

^ That was my take on it, too.

41. Dessa

Dessa Well-Known Member

I'm reading on Wikipedia, and it's apparently been confirmed now that it's not actually the Demon Bear storyline, just "very much inspired by that run on the comics." They also have said that all of the movies in the trilogy will be horror films, with each one being a different "kind" of horror movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  42. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

Hmm... I never got a "horror" vibe reading the comics.
    I always thought they were like the kids version of the X-Men.
    As in, they were literally kids.
    Oh well - we'll see.
    I definitely want to see it, I was just hoping for something a bit more light-hearted.
    They couldn't have gone further in the opposite direction from what I expected.
    I'll still watch it...

Just give us an Excalibur movie, already.
    I mean, that's what we really want.

Riceball, Cephus and gedmac66 like this.
  43. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm very interested in the blending of super hero and horror despite not the general vibe from the comics. But I feel like they cant recreate the comic New Mutants because that is basically what is happening in the X-Men Origins: First Class films.

Yes, I would love to see an Excalibur movie! Captain Britain!

44. gedmac66

gedmac66 Sr Member

Any forthcoming information / updates regarding this movie - since the October trailer ?

Ged

45. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

Kitty and Lockheed :love

Sundowner likes this.
  46. Vivek

The movie release date has been pushed from April 13, 2018 to February 22, 2019. More info here.

gedmac66 likes this.
  47. Sporkey

Sporkey Well-Known Member

There's been a couple photos posted on the official Twitter, but the main update is that the release date has been pushed from April of this year to February of next year.

Edit: Dang, Vivek just beat me to it.

gedmac66 likes this.
  48. gedmac66

gedmac66 Sr Member

Thanks for the updates guys . Man that does suck ! If the articles to be believed , a major reason it’s being delayed is so that it can be ‘ tweaked ‘ to be scarier ! why would the film need to be ‘ scarier ‘ ! I certainly don’t recall the comic series being overly horror orientated . Sure , some story arcs involved Limbo , demons , death etc... but , I don’t remember being horrified by them !?

I don’t get it ... :facepalm If it has to be delayed for whatever reason/ s , then so be it . As long as it’s not cancelled ! No chance of that right !?

Ged

49. Dessa

Dessa Well-Known Member

Wow, almost a whole year delay, and they've already put the trailer in theaters...

50. Vivek

The New Mutants release date pushed again from February 22, 2019 to August 19, 2019.

gedmac66 likes this.