The Martian Space Suit

image.jpeg

Here is what I have at this point in time still waiting for the harness to arrive and waiting for the patches and buckets once there ready the shoes were purity hard to find especially in my size uk12 or US13 haha but got them

View attachment 540590
Trying to upload an image from my phone here.
I noticed that the buckles looked different as if they were more loose than the ones you get when buying them and I noticed this little detail showing that all the male ends are thicker brass too!
Looks like the whole male end was made out of brass on that one. Would explain the looser fit.

Edit:
Also, trying not to spam, but I have to put in the order tonight and don't want anyone to miss out. If anyone is interested in the middle webbing webbing.PNGover at http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=248287#post3783213 or on the FB group. Please let me know asap.

Last edited:
Jarman Props is actually building the chest and backpack for the run by the way. He made that amazing Kantus at DragonCon! Glad to have him onboard.

Jarman Props is actually building the chest and backpack for the run by the way. He made that amazing Kantus at DragonCon! Glad to have him onboard.

When a run gets made I'm sure it will be posted here and I just can't wait! I really need to get to work on the neoprene patterns. Is anyone else planning on making the custom brass parts or would it be a good idea for me to pitch this to a workshop?

WBE, you're too fast in responding xD

Last edited:
When a run gets made I'm sure it will be posted here and I just can't wait! I really need to get to work on the neoprene patterns. Is anyone else planning on making the custom brass parts or would it be a good idea for me to pitch this to a workshop?

I'd say go ahead and pitch it. Would love a set. Also, maybe talk to them about the O2 valve details that are on the suit.

I took all of the reference photos being posted, and organized them all into a book - sorted by the various parts of the costume. Hopefully this will help during the assembly process, although I kept the original resolutions of all the images and tried to minimize cropping for layout reasons to trivial parts of the images (non-costume areas of the pictures), so you should be able to zoom in pretty far on each image while still retaining clarity, if needed. If there are any changes/additions you'd like made, let me know. I limited the content to screengrabs, publicity/production stills, and the picture dumps from @jontom and @Frank Ippolito, mainly because I wanted a guide to help me assemble and finish the costume, using other pics on this thread to identify parts. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByIGfquakAu5NXpYVnFnTVFaRWM/view?usp=sharing

I think you missed the set of photos I put on flickr too. Lots of close up detail shots of stickers and lettering.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136848099@N03/albums/72157659509132996

Just want to say, i never thought I'd see the day there was a huge thread on the RPF dedicated to figuring out a costume I had a hand in making.. Considering this site got me started on prop making years and years ago, hobby turned career, its a dream come true!

So now that the movie is out, can you reveal any secrets or tips? :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back