The Martian (Post-release)

After reading the article on the making of The Martian and its VFX it really surprised me how much green screen work was involved in it, and not the usual space scenes either. I think this movie should go a long way to convince people that not all CG is bad and that CG can be every bit as good, or even better in some cases, than practical. Aside from the obvious shots of the Hermes and the color correcting I'm willing to bet that most CG haters will be hard pressed to tell which shots in the movie had post/effects work done on it and which were 100% live and/or practical.

I can't imagine a much better film to fire up some get are asses to Mars fever.
Very accessible film to the masses. It's a stealth science lecture wrapped in a big Martian red bow and a disco soundtrack.
It did not forget to include the vast MAJESTY OF MARS or recognize the bigger purpose.

I could nitpick, this is not our Mars, the film's Mars is a bit different but close enough for government work.

And this sequence was poetry to exploration......

Last edited by a moderator:
Great film, I highly enjoyed it. The little moments (that don't necessarily draw attention to themselves) that build up and then payoff later made the character development subtle yet rewarding. There were a lot of tropes that this film could have fallen back on, but didn't, for which I am grateful. I would highly recommend seeing this film. Also, it goes to show us that Ridley Scott still knows how to make a movie!

SB

I thought it was a great movie,....can't fault it....although

I always say if you think about a movie, the next day or few days,....its either a really great movie or really bad

I had no lasting thoughts on this movie,...Prometheus on the other hand.....

I have Prometheus on BD,....I don't think I'll buy The MarsMan

J

Saw the Ikea "Harte" lamps on Mars-station and in a Chiwetel Ejiofor office-scene. IKEA_D_389_094547a8-933c-4928-95f8-a9fb75590fb7_large.jpeg

OK Folks, I just finished re-reading the book and got myself all worked up to see the flick. I have to ask the age old question. How does it compare? Knowing Scott has already said that there will be a directors cut (Anyone surprised? :) ) I am hoping that it will up the rating to R as the choice fbombs in the book really add to the humor and "realism" of the story to me. Also read a few people thought the movie "dumbed down" the science contained in the book. That does disappoint me if true. Again, hoping the directors release will contain more for the educated among us.

I can honestly say, having read the book twice, and listened to the audio book once before I saw the movie, I felt like it was as close to a perfect adaptation as anything I've ever seen. The spirit of the story is still very much there and Matt Damon's Watney is just as funny and sarcastic as I imagined him. A few of the things I was hoping for were missing, but they in no way detracted from my enjoyment of the movie as a whole.

Agreed, this was probably the best adaptation of a novel to screen I've seen . The main worry I had was that Watney's voice, which is such a key part of the narration would be lost but they managed that very well. Its safe to say you'll get to hear his voice more truly in the film than the actual novel. The biggest difference to the script from the story is in the later half. Lets just say in order to retain the pace of the narration the journey to the launch site is less eventful. Quite a lot less. But that actually made the film better than I thought it would be and that includes the visuals, which are just fantastic. As is the soundtrack.
PS A couple of lines have been changed to remove the swearing but replaced with funnier dialogue. There was one particular line they removed at the council of Elrond that surprised me and I can't understand why? Tell me if you spot it.

Got a chance to see this today. Going in all I knew was the Matt Damon was stranded on Mars. This movie was one of the most fun I've seen in a while. The humor really pulled me in while the Gravity like intensity kept me on the edge of my seat. I can't wait for the DVD.

I've seen the movie, am about a third of the way through the book, haven't watched Weir's interviews, and have a question: since Whatley certainly was aware of the satellites orbiting Mars, why wouldn't he, from the outset, drawn out a huge "SOS" outside the hab? (Or maybe "Kilroy was here," given his mentality.)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back