The Mandalorian: DarkSaber reference thread

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
darksaberthread.jpg

I wanted to start a main thread for DarkSaber reference. A little birdie told me to get ready for some new info coming out soon... feel free to share new images or news about the DarkSaber from The Mandalorian in here.

What we know about it
updated: 4/24/20

The only real info i have gathered on this Saber is that, the prop department doesn't like Giancarlo Esposito because he has broken 3 of them on set. :p Giancarlo Esposito also has said there is 2 types of blades used. See interview video below

Update 4-27-20

Another interview with Giancarlo Esposito, he basically mirrors what he says in the video. BUT he has gotten into a Little more detail

“There are different ones made, one for close up’s one for CGI touch up, one with different blades”

“I’ve broken 1, 2, 3.... 3-1/2 maybe!!”

But what I find interesting is next he says

“The prop department doesn’t like me, he came up to me and said be gentle, this is the last one”

So maybe 4-5 are made for season 2?!

Last edited:
What we know about it
updated: 4/24/20

The only real info i have gathered on this Saber is that, the prop department doesn't like Giancarlo Esposito because he has broken 3 of them on set. :p Giancarlo Esposito also has said there is 2 types of blades used. See interview video below
I guess Darth Fring is rough with props!

First post will also be repeatedly updated with the info I’ve collected to keep it all organized in 1 place

4-27-20

Another interview with Giancarlo Esposito, he basically mirrors what he says in the video. BUT he has gotten into a Little more detail

“There are different ones made, one for close up’s one for CGI touch up, one with different blades”

“I’ve broken 1, 2, 3.... 3-1/2 maybe!!”

But what I find interesting is next he says

“The prop department doesn’t like me, he came up to me and said be gentle, this is the last one”

So maybe 4-5 are made for season 2?!

Can anyone share screen caps of the saber on the BTS video from today? I dont have access to Disney plus in my country.

I believe it was shown to be a real prop not just CGI.

I've tried, but my phone & tablet won't allow me to screenshot anything.

It honestly just looks like a black, properly shaped blade, with a bright white glowing perimeter.

EDIT:

Here's a crap picture from my TV...
IMG_20200504_151405498.jpg

& one more...
IMG_20200504_151946217.jpg

Last edited:
I tried. I can't figure out how to go frame by frame on Disney+ so this is what I got.
snip2.JPG

snip3.JPG

snip4.JPG

It has a pretty weird looking shape compared to TCW/Rebels saber!

Attachments

• snip1.JPG
    snip1.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 347
oh boy this has been bumped! i haven't seen the episode yet, and i scrolled down this thread with my eyes close! so excited guys! ill report back after i watch it!!

so exciting!!

I've always tossed around ideas for making a Darksaber blade. A bit similar to what xl97 said, hollow acrylic, the inside lined with neopixels, and then the black section would be BLACK 3.0 or vantablack (if you're rich), with the lightning effect masked off before painting.

That is a great idea (black 3.0) I was planning on making a 3 layer design but had not thought about the black 3.0 so far the cfx board and neopixels should arrive this week. This is my take so far, its based on the hasbro (Rebels). As soon as we get a clear image of the Live action one I will tweak the model.
DS01.png
DS02.png
DS03.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back