The Man With No Name costume (The Good The Bad The Ugly) Finished pics pg3

Re: The Man With No Name costume (The Good The Bad The Ugly) Update: Hat! pg2

This thread has gone pretty quiet, but I guess that's okay. I'll keep talking to myself. ;)

I found a cool leather belt at a thrift store to use with the jeans. It has a nice old looking buckle, and I dirtied up the leather with some black liquid shoe polish.
ew01.JPG

After a bit of reading up on hat brim trimming I decided to have a go at it. I marked a 1/2" line from the brim using a drawing compass and made the cut with fabric scissors. I then sanded the cut with a sanding sponge to make sure it was mostly even.
ew02.JPG

ew03.JPG

And here's a blurry self taken suited up picture with what I have so far. (still no boots or poncho.)
ew04.JPG

Looking good.

Slight update.

I ordered a new shirt. It's a "Key Industries Hickory Stripe Logger Button Shirt 575.47". It should be here later today, it's much more accurate, the main problems being the button color and non rounded collar. Both of which I can fix myself, or with the help of my girlfriend. Hopefully the stripes are blue, on the Key website it says its blue, but on Amazon where I ordered it from they seem black or dark grey. We shall see.

As for boots, still no luck. I still need the hatband and spurs and poncho as well.

Okay, so the Key Industries shirt was indeed black and white, so that was no good. I bleached it down, hoping that maybe the stripes were actually a dark blue and would lighten, but nope, they turned red. I'm going to stick with my current shirt and modify the collar points.

I bought the straightline collectible boots, they're a bit large, but manageable. Here's a better picture of where I'm at so far.

boots.JPG

full1.JPG

I went looking for suitable wool yesterday for the poncho but came up empty. But, there has been some progress:

First, I got a hatband. I had to modify it by shortening it and replacing the buckle. I used the buckle that was on my dog's collar. She needed a new collar anyway, lol. I also weathered the hat a bit with some airbrushed on trail dust and a bullet hole.
hat9.JPG

Next I did a lot of work on the back of my vest. Before it was really loose fitting and had a toggle in the back to cinch it up. I cut all that out and made some seams so it's fitted properly. Sewed by hand, I figured that was more cowboy.
vest6.JPG

And I also got a good deal on some spurs with brown leather straps on eBay. I got lucky finding these, they're a darn near perfect match.
spurs.JPG

I have another shirt on order as well. This one is coming from J Crew, who knows if it will work any better than the last two though.

Never force weathering. Wear the stuff while mowing, working on the car...etc. Leave it outside (Barring thieves). Artificial weathering always shows.

The new shirt I ordered from J Crew came, and it's darn near perfect. The only thing it needs is the rounded collar tips. It's a size too small so the look is perfect, the strips are thin, and the buttons are white. I'm very happy with this shirt.
jc1.JPG

jc2.JPG

Re: The Man With No Name costume (The Good The Bad The Ugly) Update: New shirt pg2

Any updates? this is probably going to be my next build, so watching with interest. Nice work so far.
mike

Re: The Man With No Name costume (The Good The Bad The Ugly) Update: New shirt pg2

Really all I need now is to make a fake cigar and the poncho. Of course the poncho is the most iconic part of the costume, so I want it to look as good as possible. I still haven't come across any fabric that I'm happy with, I may end up buying one eventually, but right now that's not in the budget.

can you get some more pics of the poncho up .....would love to see a classic Blondie pose with it :)

I don't have a poncho yet. Still working on it.

As a classic Hollywood fan, I gotta say -- great job. The progress so far looks awesome. Can't wait to see it when you've got it all together. Good luck on finding the poncho!

(And some of your progress pics are awesome... The sun was at just the right angle to make it look very "Clint-like"! =) )

This has been a fun thread to follow. I'm considering a steampunk/man-with-no-name mashup costume for MakerFaire NYC and Halloween this year. (Dandier vest... more victorian hat... steamier gun and... of course... goggles!) Keep the updates coming.

Hey guys, it's been awhile, but I finally got the last piece of the puzzle. Here's a picture of the poncho, please ignore the mess in the background. :)
poncho1.JPG

Re: The Man With No Name costume (The Good The Bad The Ugly) Update: Poncho pg3

A quick suit up to see how things lay. One thing I fixed after taking this picture was the size of the head hole in the poncho. It was so wide the whole thing nearly went all the way over my shoulders. I sewed up about 2 inches on each side that it now sits higher up and gives me a better arm length and drape. Anyway, here's a quick pic.
clintshop.jpg

Re: The Man With No Name costume (The Good The Bad The Ugly) Update: Poncho pg3

Well, it's officially finished. (Although I may completely scratch build another vest in the future to make it accurate with all the seams of the original.) Thanks to everybody that helped me along the way, especially dbuck and robstyle. Here's a couple shots, sorry for the quality, It's hard to get decent photographs with a self timer.

Here's it is with the poncho down.
backponcho.jpg

And here's me trying to recreate the original photo at the start of this thread.
sidebyside.jpg

Small update. I made a prop cigar for a costumed bike ride I'm going on today. The problem with using a real cigar is they get soggy after awhile if you hold them in your mouth. So I made this last night out of a piece of wooden dowel. I carved it with a hobby knife and a dremel, and painted it with acrylic paints and a matte clear. I also glued a rubber mouthpiece from one of my pipes onto it to make it more comfortable.
cigar1.JPG

cigar2.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back