The Man With No Name costume (The Good The Bad The Ugly) Finished pics pg3

Re: The Man With No Name costume (The Good The Bad The Ugly)

You know what you are blondie? You're(voice over) 'on the right path'!!! :p

Can't wait to see how this ends up, it's going to be awesome :)

-The Armorer

The rig came in the mail today, along with a chef's neckerchief (black) that I ordered. I'm really pleased with the rig and holster, the color is good, the quality seems to be really great too. You guys can tell me what you think of it.
rig2.JPG

rig3.JPG

rig4.JPG

rig5.JPG

rig6.JPG

loving the work so far, and really loving the gun rig :D

ive been wanting to do a Man with no Name get up for a while now so will be following you on this as youve found some great pieces so far

keep up the good work

Thanks Annadill.

Here's a couple more shots of what I have so far. The only difference being the neckerchief, the gun rig, and I did a little more airbrushing on the vest as well.

ce1.jpg

ce2.jpg

I'm having a hard time finding square toe rough out tan cowboy boots. Anybody have any pointers?

I dont know your budget but a site called spaghettiwesternreplicas.com has all the items you are looking for but they are pricey.

Thanks 226fan. I've seen that before, but as you say, theyre expensive. I think I prefer the stuff from hollywood prop over them anyway. It's more fun to try to make it or find it though, don't you think?

UPDATE!

I picked up the gun today, here it is stock.
gun1.JPG

gun2.JPG

But of course as soon as I got it home I had to install these.
gun3.JPG

Left side.
gun4.JPG

The grips are half removed for those pictures, but rest assured they're back and all lined up properly now.

Right side.
gun5.JPG

Close up.
gun6.JPG

Great job! Its a much overlooked yet iconic costume. I cashed in a few favors to get info all around including being allowed to view behind the scenes photos and info not seen since production.

for the boots check ebay and wait it out. It took me a couple months to score but they are period (to the filming) correct Italian flat toe. Matches the color of the hat too, very worn.

The neckerchief is actually a navy blue silk handkerchief. Mine came from the thrift store.

There seem to be two separate blue/white stripe railroad engineer shirts used in GBU but it could just be an artifact of the shirts manufacture and the fact multiples were used. Even looking past post color correction the blue is much more faded here and there... I used a Marc Moto brand off ebay. His buttons were plastic but should be bone or horn. If you want to cheap out use some liquid paper and be done with it. Or just go get a cheap dollar store button repair kit and use the white buttons out of it. If you wear and XL shirt, look into a L. His shirt was a size too small.

Levi's had made some off the wall skinny jeans last year or so then seems to just as quickly discontinued them. They were pre aged with wear and stress marks right off the shelf. Just as with the shirt you want them to be a size too small. Even the belt loops were correct as were the pockets. Belt loops just wide enough for the pants belt but not enough for an actual period correct belt.

I used the Old Navy womens vest. With some basic trim and cuts all around it worked nicely. Mine is a M/L but the neat thing about these vests is they can be cut all around. The faux inner is glued to the faux outer. There is no need to sew or mend any cuts what so ever. If your quick with a non steam iron you can age the faux vests very quickly and easily. But be warned, you can just as quickly and easily ruin it. His vest was originally an old worn out coat that was cut down and sewn up. I was able to confirm this through the prior mentioned resources. Pay very close attention to every edge and you will see various hand stitching and cut marks. You want to do what they did, use a knife to make the cuts not scissors. Take it out in the mud, run it through and let it bake in the sun. Even the faux material should discolor.

Your main discrepancy will be the hat band as no replicas have nailed it. Mine was made by memory by someone in the know. He hadnt made one since the 60's and remembered why when doing mine. All that hand tooling on aged hands filled the curse jar. There are very minute details in there.

The poncho, story goes Eastwood had his own and Leone found another in an open air market. Eastwood still owns the original. It is indeed olive colored but the outside is mucked with dirt and grim making it appear brown. Being a hand made item the wool material would be lighter in weight than any replica. I still believe its a horse/saddle blanket that was modified into a poncho but seems we will never know. Ive tried to cash in countless favors to get hands on access to the poncho but the stars never seem to align. Its literally a few miles from me as I type. Mine is an older made in Mexico version.

The holster and belt rig, absolutely hands down nobody has done correct to this day as a replica. Every maker has their own way of doing things. This comes back as an insult to the maker when any attempt to correct their way vs the Andy Anderson (AA) way of doing things is pointed out. At least thats been my experience when dealing with half a dozen skilled leather craftsmen. Something about leather craftsmen and the words "exact replica" dont seem to mesh well.
The belt buckle is brass. My guy has a couple of the originals on hand. Story is AA took period correct belt buckles and beat them up with a ball peen hammer. You can find Mexican electroplated pot metal replicas for a few dollars and if your lucky a full brass one from a maker here in the US. The buckle will be somewhat expensive as the makers of the rigs dont want to sell you a buckle, they want you to buy an entire rig. Ive toyed with the idea of replicas off an original but dont think the interest would be there to justify the investment.
This is an early prototype Andy Anderson rig for TMWNN. The holster buckle should be the same on the screen used rigs. There were more than one rig used in GBU.
zk0ub8.jpg

Lastly im glad you didnt opt for the Cimarron Arms snakes. A friend bought one of the complete replicas and the snakes had issues falling off. Then at that the snakes were nowhere near accurate. Have a look to compare. Both sides had their own unique variations as well. The details here will be sharper as this was years before TMWNN trilogy.
http://oi50.tinypic.com/1zqdg1i.jpg

Rob, I've seen some of your previous Clint posts, thanks for taking the time to post here. A lot of useful info in there, I appreciate it. As a SoCal local it'd be great if you ever want to get together and talk shop, I'd like to see your stuff in person.

Last edited:

we'll probly meet up at the next prop party. If things go well we can have one here at my place in a couple months. Just have to complete the house renovations.

That'd be cool, I've never gone to one before.

As for the boots, I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open, today's efforts were fruitless.

keep searching your size or one larger on ebay. Shoe sizes, like clothing sizes, have grown over the decades. What used to be 11.5 US in the 60's is now something more like a 10 US. If in doubt ask the seller to measure to to heel and width at the widest point of the front sole.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind about the sizing. I'd be stoked to find a real vintage pair of boots, but in the meantime I'd settle for something new with a similar look.

I think USPS may have lost my hat. It should have been here days ago, and there's no tracking update since it was accepted for shipping. If it's lost it's a real bummer because it took me months to find it.

Picked up some black Levi 514's today. They seem like they will work well, there's no contrast stitching, and theyre slim on top and straight on the bottom.

I cut all the Levi tags off the jeans, there was only he red tab on the back pocket and the big brown tag on the rear belt line. Now I only need to run them over with my car a few times. Lol.

Also my hat I ordered was returned to the sender because of a messed up label, so now it's on it's way once again. I'm so relieved that it's not lost.

Lastly I have had no luck with boots. Still searching.

I'll have more pictures when the hat comes in.

Got the hat. It's the perfect shape (once I did a little steam shaping of the brim,) but the problem is that my head is so small that the 3 1/2" brim looks ginourmous on me. It looks like a damn sombrero. I think it's the right size, but it just looks too ridiculous on my tiny head. I will have to have the brim shortened by at least 1/2" all around. I removed the incorrect hatband as well, don't mind the glue remnants, they'll be cleaned off later. (You can see my target from when I took the gun to the range a few days ago, not bad for my first time with a handgun right?)

hat4.JPG

hat5.JPG

hat6.JPG

hat7.JPG

hat8.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back