The Man from UNCLE replica pistol

Ok. First off, excellent restoration!

second, I am convinced to try the graphite powder over flat black trick. That looks amazing. I’ll have to test, but I have a matte clear that usually doesn’t cloud the color.

May I ask what particular graphite powder you used? I assume a super-fine grind, which I have (just not enough for the intended use) and a larger flake version.

Thanks in advance!

Hi ID10T,
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. It was quite the job but worth it in the end.

Actually, when I went to my local art supply to buy the graphite powder, I saw they wanted $44.00 for a small bag.
I decided NOT to spend that much so I bought a graphite pencil for $1.63. I simply used my Exacto knife to shave it down into a small pile.
Using an old soft sock, I dipped into the pile and rubbed it on the gun.

After that, I sprayed it with Testors clear Lacquer and let dry. --Ed
untitled.png

Nice. I’ll have to look for that (solid graphite?) pencil next time I’m in the art supply store.

I already have some powders for o-ring lube, so I’ll try them first.

Was the lacquer the “dullcote” lacquer?

VERY nice, Brian!!! Is that a Maruzen Airsoft? Looking forward to seeing your 3D printed scope mount for your old gun. --Ed

What A great restoration. I have had a few of the metal MGC/RMI models over the years and the 2 biggest problems were the pot metal, which broke very easily, and the finish staying on the gun. Not much can be done with the poor metal other than making new parts but I love your graphite powder idea. Testors gun metal also gives a great finish.

Last edited:
These are gorgeous! How did you go about removing the original finishes? Such a cool weapon. I have a small collection of Bushnell Phantoms myself. Nice work!!

Thanks, guys!!! Much appreciated. Pedro, I totally stripped it down then used a wire wheel to remove the existing finish. finish and get it down to the bare metal. If there were rough spots, I sanded it down with sandpaper. --Ed

This is to show you thumbnails of the various pages of the booklet I put together. I was lucky enough to get to know the people who actually owned the original guns, as well as other props, from the show.
--Ed

View attachment 1480338
I just KNOW this is a FAQ but do you sell that CD/book? Sorry if this is an annoyingly repetitive question (ARQ) :)

For those interested in the U.N.C.L.E. pistol, you can not find better information
then the CD from ed-209. I have gone through the info. again and again and always
catch something new.

Fun fact....the original Megatron from the early 1980's, turned into a similar weapon! (I used to sell them, but we weren't allowed to buy them ourselves! :( )
View attachment 1482413

I had Megatron and he was awesome - and I used to use him as the U.N.C.L.E. gun as well! He's actually the toy I miss the most from my childhood.

Then he disappeared one day. I mean, properly "turned-the-house-upside-down-looking-for-him" disappeared. I suspect foul play was involved...

For those interested in the U.N.C.L.E. pistol, you can not find better information
then the CD from ed-209. I have gone through the info. again and again and always
catch something new.
Thank you, Terryhimself!! You do me an honor. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the recommendation. --Ed

Thank you sharing your MGC UNCLE carbine restoration!
It was a fun ride and great documentation of your process.
Excellent work!

Thank you sharing your MGC UNCLE carbine restoration!
It was a fun ride and great documentation of your process.
Excellent work!
Thank you, Daniel!!! Glad you enjoyed the article and the work behind the restoration. I sent you a PM. --Ed

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back