The Lone Ranger (Post-release)

Drops please Bry -- but please NO Ludwig Van!!! It's a sin, I tell you! A sin!!!

I would however rather watch Star Trek ID - than sit through one episode of Steven Segal: Lawman!

Just got home from it. Like many others I wasn't thrilled or impressed by the trailers... Johnny Depp as Tonto and to an extent even Armie Hammer just seemed like bad casting. ....and the early reviews sure made it seem like it was going to be a dud and I wasn't even sure if I would see it. But, then my Dad said something; he wanted to see it because of the old television show and that took me back to when I would watch it (often with him) and gave me some very fond memories of The Lone Ranger - and there were a couple of reviews that gave me a little bit of hope (even with all the "meh" reviews).

This isn't a perfect movie - not even close. Predictable and full of cliches, bad plot and just bad judgement on the filmmakers shoulders. But, it all paid off for me when the William Tell Overture kicked in and everything clicked like it's supposed - when the lawyer became the masked hero and Tonto the sidekick. The first hour and half drags and is just chock full of stereotypical bumbling oaf becoming a hero - including the prerequisite businessman badguy hiding out in the open -- but, the last half hour or so is worth the price of admission... again, the sounding of William Tell Overture signals the real start of the Lone Ranger and was lots of fun.

Two hours of nothing for 30 minutes of something. That's not a good trade off.
I didn't say it was two hours of "nothing." I did say that the last half hour of The Lone Ranger was worth the price of admission.

I didn't say it was two hours of "nothing." I did say that the last half hour of The Lone Ranger was worth the price of admission.

I'd like to go into a movie where everything as a whole is worth the price of admission. I can say that about a lot of movies I've seen this summer. If the last half hour of a two and a half hour movie is what's worth the price of admission, well what other conclusion are you going to come towards when 4/5 of the film isn't worth the price of admission? Nothing. Time like that could be better spent elsewhere.

Took the kids to see it over the weekend. It's a very uneven movie -excessively violent in some parts (my 10-year old daughter was practically hiding under her seat) to farce and slapstick in others. What was the target audience for this movie?

It's not bad, but not something I'd care to see a second time.

I'd like to go into a movie where everything as a whole is worth the price of admission. I can say that about a lot of movies I've seen this summer. If the last half hour of a two and a half hour movie is what's worth the price of admission, well what other conclusion are you going to come towards when 4/5 of the film isn't worth the price of admission? Nothing. Time like that could be better spent elsewhere.
Then start a thread bitching about that and let's keep this one to the Lone Ranger - which IMO, the last act was well worth the $10.25 I spent to get in.

Then start a thread bitching about that and let's keep this one to the Lone Ranger

I was talking about the Lone Ranger. Does the film really need to spend two hours just to get to the best part? I don't think it should. Why pay a full movie ticket price just to wait two hours for 30 minutes when you can get an overall good movie that's just an hour and a half? Saying that the movie is good only after the two hour mark is hardly what I would call a movie worth seeing.

Someone mentioned this movie and cannibalism to me in the same sentence.

Please elaborate.

I can't really wrap my head around how you can have cannibalism in a Lone Ranger movie.

Chris

I was talking about the Lone Ranger. Does the film really need to spend two hours just to get to the best part? I don't think it should. Why pay a full movie ticket price just to wait two hours for 30 minutes when you can get an overall good movie that's just an hour and a half? Saying that the movie is good only after the two hour mark is hardly what I would call a movie worth seeing.
Again, you're putting words into my mouth (since you're still quoting me and been quoting me). I never said the movie was "good only after the hour mark".

I stated my issues with the film but clearly stated that the last act was worth the price of admission (alone) - my wording intended one to realize there was a very good pay off at the end for the Lone Ranger. And I never said the entire movie wasn't worth it... and I never said the movie was "good only after the two hour mark."

Please re-read my posts so that you don't misquote, misrepresent or misunderstand me.

For the record, The Lone Ranger is right up there with Star Trek and Iron Man 3 as my favorite popcorn/action films I've seen this year - all of which are behind Oz the Great & Powerful and waaaaaaay above Man of Steel.

Someone mentioned this movie and cannibalism to me in the same sentence.

Please elaborate.

I can't really wrap my head around how you can have cannibalism in a Lone Ranger movie.

Chris

Butch Cavandish cuts out Dan Reid's heart and takes a bite after he shoots him. I really didn't realize this movie was that gruesome until I wrote that... but as was stated elsewhere there is quite a bit of violence in the film that really seemed out of place.

Ah. That's... odd.

Probably just going to wait till it's on netflix to see it. Always been a big Lone Ranger fan, and this doesn't seem to be much in the spirit of the old west movie I was expecting.

Appreciate the explanation though. Would not have thought of that myself in a million years.

Chris

Ah. That's... odd.

Probably just going to wait till it's on netflix to see it. Always been a big Lone Ranger fan, and this doesn't seem to be much in the spirit of the old west movie I was expecting.

Appreciate the explanation though. Would not have thought of that myself in a million years.

Chris
If you are a fan of the Lone Ranger - the last act really paid off for me. More fun in the last act of The Lone Ranger than Man of Steel and the Nolan Batflicks combined.

Butch Cavandish cuts out Dan Reid's heart and takes a bite after he shoots him. I really didn't realize this movie was that gruesome until I wrote that... but as was stated elsewhere there is quite a bit of violence in the film that really seemed out of place.

It's a Gore Verbinski film written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio. This team has about as much interest in human dignity as the 1918 flu pandemic.

It's a Gore Verbinski film written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio. This team has about as much interest in human dignity as the 1918 flu pandemic.
I'm glad you know the filmmakers in question well enough and personally to pass this type of judgement on them. :facepalm I'm not sure how anyone can say this about anyone due to a film. But, as they say - physician heal thyself.

I think the scene was show what an animal Cavendish is. The old west has been portrayed in a very "glamorized" manner (for lack of a better term). Cowboys, outlaws and lawmen - but, the reality of the time was much more dangerous than we realize. Shooting and murdering in the movies is almost too commonplace and I think the moviemakers were trying to show just what an animal Cavendish is. I don't think it was meant to show that he was a cannibal... just a crazed murderer outlaw.

I'm glad you know the filmmakers in question well enough and personally to pass this type of judgement on them.

When you depict gruesome deaths for laughs when your title character is out for justice, I'm not laughing.

To those that saw The Lone Ranger... I think with some edits and rewrites and re-shots, there is some very salvageable stuff in this movie. I thought the ending was pretty darn awesome and some changes to make John Reid less oaf-ish in the first half or so might've been enough to make this a much more solid movie... make Tonto a slightly less crazed, more focused Native American warrior type... removed the more contrived, typical plot points and there might be a very fun (if still largely generic hero) movie.

In my humble opinion, the problems with this film begin and end with Elliott and Rossio.

To me, the story and script structure seems bloated, convoluted,and to some degree incoherent.

Wow, sounds like I'm describing Pirates 2 and 3...!

Anyway, I am no longer a fan of this writing team and question why Bruckheimer and Disney continue to turn to them.

I would genuinely like to hear Jet Beetle's insight and opinions, as I am admittendly but an arm-chair critic.

While I love the concept of frontier superheroes (Zorro, the Lone Ranger, even Jonah Hex) I could smell how bad this was going to be. Every review has mentioned how uneven the film is, from slapstick to violent.

Da Mouse will take a bath on this one. Quite rightly too, unlike the undeserved drubbing John Carter (which I really liked and had a lot of promise for future installments) got at the box office.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back