The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

so im in the process of clear coating my shield.. just wrapping up my first can of clearcoat...

I'm noticing that its a little hazzy

I'm using rustoleum crystal clear. I'm hoping over the next few days it gets less hazzy or when i wetsand and wax

Yay after watching a handful of automotive clear coat videos I'm 99% sure I screwed up my shield yet again. My clear coat is not smooth and is hazy.

Sounds like i was was too far from the shield when spraying and dusting it vs laying down thin coats.

Not it sure if I should just attempt to wetsand down or strip it all over again. Might go the wetsand it down route and see how it goes.

I just finished painting mine for the umteenth time and i sware im going all the way across with the metal cast but the outside edge always seems really thin compaired to the rest. has anyone had success with touch ups or am i looking at stripping down and going another round?

So no way to touch up just repaint? And I dont have a lazy susan avaliable ive been doing a quarter turn every coat. I was told the coats have to cross because its a metallic

I'm about to start with my Captain America shield, I'm thinking ahead to the clear coat stage. I want to protect my paintjob, but the last time I used clear coat was on my fiberglass Iron Man helmet, and it dulled my gold and metallic red colors to a yellow/tan and flat red; ended up having to repaint it. Of course, most of you probably don't have to worry about this because your shield is metal to begin with, but I'm using a plastic MH saucer sled, so I'll have to use paint to make the metallic look, like I did on my Iron Man suit.

Is there a spray clear coat that doesn't take away the metallic effect of the paint that it goes on? Also would like for it to be durable and not crack/bubble/yellow/frost/fog easily

Re: The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

I agree. I have seen many shields that are too glossy. I know its not perfect, but here is my first attempt at the shield that I made from a plastic sled. I used three coats of a matte clear coat, and I think it comes close (at least for the red).
IMG_2134.jpg

I agree. I have seen many shields that are too glossy. I know its not perfect, but here is my first attempt at the shield that I made from a plastic sled. I used three coats of a matte clear coat, and I think it comes close (at least for the red).
View attachment 476667

Yeah, mine is definitely too glossy but unfortunately I couldn't get the duplicolour metal cast paint here and after about 5 attempts - getting it looking good (albeit glossy) was better than starting over again. I might redo it at a later stage or add a matte clear coat to see if that sorts it but at this point I just didn't want to start again :facepalm

View attachment 476667

I'm really liking the colour and finish on that shield, good job [emoji106]

Thanks. The metallic base coat was a combination of a sprayed dark steel, and then a brushed on stainless steel. I used the duplicolor red and blue over that, and then applied the matte clear with my hvlp spray gun. Not nearly as good as many of the metal shields I have seen here, but it is passable for now.

View attachment 476667

That shield screams AoU to me! Nice job.

Thanks. I wore it to the premier with a shoulder harness I threw together quick. It wasn't totally screen accurate, but it sure beat holding the shield all night.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back