The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Ok I'm getting closer to getting the duplicolor paint down.

I foundout my issue was how im throwing down the paint coats.... my first 2 light coats are too light.

So I'm going to strip it and do it one more time... 3rd times the charm hopefully.

Looks good. Are you using the anodized duplicolor blue? Any issues with this paint. I just received my shield yesterday and started researching colors and manufactures.

Looks good. Are you using the anodized duplicolor blue? Any issues with this paint. I just received my shield yesterday and started researching colors and manufactures.

Yea that's the one. Just taking a little but to get used to.

Sounds like everyone uses duplicolor metal cast or the testors paints

Ok I'm getting closer to getting the duplicolor paint down.

I foundout my issue was how im throwing down the paint coats.... my first 2 light coats are too light.

So I'm going to strip it and do it one more time... 3rd times the charm hopefully.

[url]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/jessegun23/348AD938-AF0A-4E30-A100-B24DB9F35859.jpg[/URL]

Painting too fast and too far was my problem for a long time. Between that and a stray piece of lint or hair getting stuck to the wet paint, I probably stripped the shield about 12 times.

Further than 8" away is too far. Also, laying a coat down where the can is traveling more than 9" every second is too fast. The first few coats I did not only created too light and dry of a coat, but sent paint dust all over my garage. By being closer to what I just listed, you'll not only lay a better coat down, but you won't need as big of a drop cloth or have barely any paint dust flying around.

3-4 coats like what I described will do it.

Painting too fast and too far was my problem for a long time. Between that and a stray piece of lint or hair getting stuck to the wet paint, I probably stripped the shield about 12 times.

Further than 8" away is too far. Also, laying a coat down where the can is traveling more than 9" every second is too fast. The first few coats I did not only created too light and dry of a coat, but sent paint dust all over my garage. By being closer to what I just listed, you'll not only lay a better coat down, but you won't need as big of a drop cloth or have barely any paint dust flying around.

3-4 coats like what I described will do it.

Thanks for the tip. Yes I might have been closer to 10-12" away and I was noticing I was going too fast

Picked up the Tamiya paints for a pretty penny, now I'm just going to need to pick up a compressor to use for my air gun. Went a little lighter on the red to hopefully 'cancel' out the darker steel. Hopefully this turns out, otherwise it's to Testor's for me.

So I ran into a bit of glitch when starting to paint my aluminum disc yesterday: a small bit of tarnish or other blemish on the shield:

IMG_3376.JPG

I'd already gave the shield a good rub down with the acetone to remove oils and get it cleaned up, but that spot wouldn't budge. For those that have painted with the Duplicator: will the paint hide that dark of a blemish? Or would I be better off doing some sanding to remove it? Or is sanding not the right thing? I've never worked with metal before so I'm not sure my approach is correct.

Taped up my shield and had to leave it alone for 4 days until i get back from my business trip. Was really hoping to get the first red ring painted before I left but decided not to rush it... now I have to play the waiting game... and play the... oh i hope my shield doesnt rust more game ;)

Anyone working on a sled shield project I would recommend a rust remove liquid for when you get small rusted spots. Makes it 100xs easier to cleanup... put a little on a rag or paper towel and wipe the sled down. You will need to make sure to apply it all over or else it will look slightly discolored. I also rescore my lines with a stripping pad and then apply acetone to clean it up after.

Krud Kutter 8 oz. Rust Remover and Inhibitor-MR08/6 at The Home Depot

This duplicolor paint is driving me nuts.

Just threw down my first red ring and its all bumpy looking. Took me 3 tries with the blue to get it right and thought I had the process down.

Heat the can in hot water for 20-30 mins.
Shake like a mofo
Spray 2 lighter coats and then 1 heavy wet coat (about 8 inches away - 6 / 8 mins between each coat)

So the real question is... do I have to strip the entire thing or can I even attempt to just strip the Red without wrecking the Blue paint job?

If you are only stripping the outer ring then the blue should be fine the inner ring you need to be super careful

Just stripped it and it looked all good... decided to double check the blue... ugh there must have been a small gap somewhere in my tape job and a thin red line ended up in the blue. Looks like I will be stripping it all and starting over.

I know the end result will be worth it but man this pain **** is driving me nuts. Wont help that im traveling again Monday which will put a dent in me getting this done.

Just stripped it and it looked all good... decided to double check the blue... ugh there must have been a small gap somewhere in my tape job and a thin red line ended up in the blue. Looks like I will be stripping it all and starting over.

I know the end result will be worth it but man this pain **** is driving me nuts. Wont help that im traveling again Monday which will put a dent in me getting this done.

The exact same thing just happened to me. Finished the red (on my 5th attempt) and took off the blue masking to see a red line. Back to square one on the blue, I guess.

Yep did a simliar thing evening before last am now removing inner red ring for what will be attempt number 3! , We must be nuts :)

Haha indeed. My shield is fully stripped again and taped off. About to throwdown the blue circle again and attempt the red again tomorrow. Good thing I lost track of my budget

One of these days one of us needs to post a you tube video of our painting technique to compare. At some point I'm going to redo my sled shield as a wonder woman shield. I'll video tape that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back