The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Post-release)

Most of my issues have been discussed already but I have a bit of a problem with the return of Sauron in such a powerful form. I understand why they did it to tie it in with LoTR, but I think they went a little overboard. After the events of The Hobbit, why did everyone just sit around for the next 60 years while Sauron gained more power? Also, if Gandalf knew this much and knew Bilbo had the ring, why didn't he make the connection as fast as he did in Fellowship?

Figured this would be the best place to ask, anybody know where to find some GOOD references of the Ringwraiths' armor when they appear in Dol Guldur? I'd rather not download this movie just for a 3 minute scene.

I haven't seen any but the first. I am waiting for the condensed fan-edits, and the editors of those are in turn waiting on the extended edition of this "movie" to be released on BluRay so that they could work on them.

My library got it, so I gave it a (free) viewing. I actually cringed with embarrassment a few times. It was just so, so schmaltzy. The shame of it is, the acting is all really solid. Bilbo is FANTASTIC. And when it's not a cartoon (rarely) it looks good. But then the shoehorned LOTR set up, and the fan service, and the "corporate says we need a love story" love story, and the really feeble CG, and...such a waste.

I feel like if these three could be cut down to one long movie...based on the book, and all the fat is trimmed, and some of the overly sentimental crap is dialed down, it might be really watchable. I kinda doubt PJ is going to try to sell a condensed version though. Oh well.

I'm annoyed they made Azog the big baddie instead of having him die and be revenged by his son, as in the Appendices. I'm annoyed the dwarves looked nothing like the dwarves in LOTR -- they needed to be stockier, even the younger ones. I'm annoyed they got Thorin's age wrong -- he's older than Balin, and Balin was just a lad when they had to flee Erebor. Glamdring and Orcrist still frikkin' don't glow, as they should. No idea why they made Bard a disgraced fisherman instead of the Captain of the Guard. And most egregiously... *sigh* I love Benedict "Scenery-Chewer" Cumberbatch, but I really didn't like how they quintupled Smaug's dialogue. Especially because of the mistakes that kept bashing me over the head. Every time he referred to Thorin as "Oakenshield" -- an epithet Thorin earned well after the dwarves fled Erebor and Smaug had gone to sleep -- I ground my teeth.

Apart from that I loved it. Even if...

11162013152342.jpg

--Jonah

I'm confused with some things about this movie: only 2 rows, half of the Dwarven army charged into battle. Why? Second, the elven army were greater in numbers compare to the dwarves and th ey get wiped out in battle?...and we never really saw mass movement/sequence of how the elven army moved around the battlefield. We just saw a handful charge ahead of the dwarves in the beginning and small unit help Thranduil in Dale. And lastly, legoland runs out of arrows in one battle while never running out of arrows in LOTR trilogy

I'm confused with some things about this movie: only 2 rows, half of the Dwarven army charged into battle. Why? Second, the elven army were greater in numbers compare to the dwarves and th ey get wiped out in battle?...and we never really saw mass movement/sequence of how the elven army moved around the battlefield. We just saw a handful charge ahead of the dwarves in the beginning and small unit help Thranduil in Dale. And lastly, legoland runs out of arrows in one battle while never running out of arrows in LOTR trilogy

In the trailers, they show the Dwarves and Elves battling each other, this may be included back into the film, so the entire battle sequence may change in the EE.

Also, we don't know how many elves survived the battle, as they were fighting outside Erebor all the way into Dale.

I'm also confused at how the men of Dale were able to defend and outlast thousands of orcs. It looked like there only about 50-75 humans on screen, battlefield even though Bilbo mentioned several hundred angry fishermen.

Another thing that I keep thinking is how taller and bigger the orcs are compare to Saruman's Uruk-kai army. I thought the Uruk army were suppose to be the evolved version of the orcs?

I'm really looking forward to the extended edition, although it feels bittersweet in a way. This, to me, will feel like my last final trip to Middle Earth. When I left the theater after seeing Five Armies it felt that way also, but I still knew I had two more "official" viewings left; the Blu-ray and then finally the extended edition.

Am I the only one who thought this movie was a chore to watch?
It took me 4 nights to watch the DVD because I kept getting bored and turning it off.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back