The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Post-release)

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Something I noticed last night.

Okay, in the 2nd hobbit movie when Gandalf is at the necromancer castle and we see "the eye", you can see the shape of a man (Sauron) in the actual iris part of the eye. Just last night as Return of The King was on television, I noticed that several times you can catch very subtle views of that man-shape in the eye. Especially at the end when the tower collapses. I had never seen that before in all of the 40 or 50 times I have seen the first trilogy.

Anybody else catch that? Or am I just imagining that I see that?

Something I noticed last night.

Okay, in the 2nd hobbit movie when Gandalf is at the necromancer castle and we see "the eye", you can see the shape of a man (Sauron) in the actual iris part of the eye. Just last night as Return of The King was on television, I noticed that several times you can catch very subtle views of that man-shape in the eye. Especially at the end when the tower collapses. I had never seen that before in all of the 40 or 50 times I have seen the first trilogy.

Anybody else catch that? Or am I just imagining that I see that?

There is a deleted scene from RoTK; during the battle at Black Gate when Sauron attains physical form and emerges from the eye. Perhaps Peter Jackson wanted to show this off in the Hobbit after failing to do so in lotr.

The comicon panel was great fun to watch on Youtube. Old Peter J made me laugh when he said he was delighted to be able to kill some characters off in this one. The crowd drew a breath though. He said it was going to be darkest of them all and there is alot of room with the story to make some changes for the better.

Hoho, I was able to rewrite lotr by saving Boromir's life in Battle for Middle Earth game. He ended up participating in the rest of the story and onto Sauron's defeat.

There is a deleted scene from RoTK; during the battle at Black Gate when Sauron attains physical form and emerges from the eye. Perhaps Peter Jackson wanted to show this off in the Hobbit after failing to do so in lotr.

It's not exactly a deleted scene, more like altered. Its still in the movie. It's the same scene where Aragorn is fighting the troll at the Black Gates. After watching the sequence PJ didn't thing the audience would get that Sauron got his human form back, so they digitally put the troll over Sauron. If you watch the extras on the extended DVD it shows some of the footage with the guy in Sauron armor.

And Battle for Middle Earth 1 & 2... awesome games!!!!!

I can't even be bothered to watch the TRAILER. I fell asleep during the first one, and had to fight MIGHTILY not to fast forward through the second. It was like sitting through Thanksgiving dinner sober. Just awful.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

And Battle for Middle Earth 1 & 2... awesome games!!!!!

Yeah!!!!

Played the second game recently and was surprised to find that Rivendell was the last to fall in the evil campaign. But you get to capture the Lonely Mountain too.

The last level of the good campaign is the capture of Dol Guldur which happens in the lotr timeline. But it is also captured in BotFA.

There was a lot of fluff added to these movies. It will be interesting to see if ,some time in the future, someone re-edits the 3 movies into 1 extended version and edits out all the fluff ;)

In regards to all the fluff--it is true there is a lot, and when I was in the theater watching the first two it did seem a little extraneous. But now that they are on tv it doesn't bother me for some reason. All these LOTR movies usually only get about three "true" viewings from me anyway--once in the theater, once when the dvd/blu-ray comes out, and once when the extended version comes out. Those are the only times I actually turn out the lights, pop the popcorn, turn up the surround sound and truly immerse myself in the viewings.

Then there is the several hundred times that they come on tv. Those times they are just my background noise and the fluff doesn't bother me then. To me that just means they are on the tv longer and there is less channel surfing I have to do, and the longer I can visit Middle Earth the better.

Anyway, that's the way I look at it...I'm not a purist, so I really don't care what is added or taken out, just as long as I enjoy it.

I keep thinking it's titled "The Battle of the Five Hours." Hopefully the flow of this one is better than the other 2.

Haha.... yeah. These movies don't compare to the LotR trilogy by a longshot. They're ok, but I honestly can't get past the arrogance/stubborness of the main dwarf. The preview for the next movie isn't really amping me up to sit through another one any time soon. Granted, I have managed to wait for video for the other two movies...

Wait a sec, are those cave trolls used as mounts @1:35? ... during the day ...

Yeah, but weren't there tons of trolls out and about in the daylight during the final battle in Return Of The King?

Remember, Sauron used his magic to block out the sun with storm clouds......

The trolls used in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields were Olog-hai, a breed of troll that were able to move under the Sun much like the Uruk-hai.

Couldn't even get through the trailer. I actually rolled my eyes when I saw the camera swoop over the burning town. So many transparent, calculated attempts to rouse our emotions over such a hollow, soul-less exercise. So many empty characters emoting ponderous, psuedo-profound nonsense in an attempt to stir some faint nostalgic twinge of the LOTR. It's like the first movie made by robots or something. All the players move and all their mouths make noise, but it's just completely dead inside. The whole Hobbit trilogy is so utterly cynical and insulting. I'll stick to the book.

Last edited:

They're definitely not LotR.

I'm not sure I remember even seeing the last one to the end. Did they kill Smaug in that one?

I don't remember the books being this drawn out, but maybe I missed something.

I don't believe the last one did end. I'm convinced it's still playing, somewhere. The dwarves will frolic in the gold hoard for eternity...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back