The Hobbit - Orcrist

Nibenon

Just when you think you have all the swords you could ever want to make... the trailer for ONE OF THE GREATEST STORIES EVER comes out... seriously, everyone must see the trailer.

So, anyone thought of making Orcrist (Thorin's sword) yet?

Attachments

• thorin-richardarmitage.jpg
    thorin-richardarmitage.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,658
Wow... that is very cool!... and interesting.

I made something similar a number a years ago. I call her "Petal". Made from a solid bar of steel (not stainless). All done with belt sander, angle grinder and various rasps and files. Initially envisioned as an Elvish greatsword. Total length is 35". And quite heavy (made for monster killin', not for smaller challenges).

petal.jpg

petal_side.jpg

petal_front.jpg

petal_rear.jpg

petal_hilt.jpg

Beautiful blade. Find it interesting they went single-edge with that instead of double.

As do I. I was always under the impression that The Foe Hammer & The Goblin Cleaver were sister swords, and therefore similar in make. I have no info to back that up, I was just under that impression.

I guess in universe in makes perfect sense though, as they ARE Elvish blades, and Elvish blades are represented in that style in the films...but that begs the question "What happened with Glamdring?"

Oh oh... my poor wallet...

I see lots of new swords, axes, rings, staffs, bows, necklaces, helmets, costumes and other stuff...

Hopefully this time I will have an eye on the important stuff at the right time before its sold out...

But I have to say, I like the Gandalf staff from LOTR FotR more...

I think you have valid points, but possibly it would get confusing, all those double-edged swords... check out the trailer, Glamdring isn't getting a new look, AND they cameoed the Shards of Narsil... overall noobs would get confused with all those sword names...

So I'm thinking they're more polar opposites, complementary, but not identical.

Also, nice sword Aestivalis! THAT'S pretty darn close...

The text was added for Bilbo after they returned. so itd make since that this this is an UNtexted version as he just found it

Sting has its lettering from the get-go in the film, judging by the trailer.

EDIT: And UC has the license and will be producing replicas of Orcrist and all manner of other things. In addition, Orcrist's design is now meant to be more of a mate to Sting than Glamdring for the film, so said the Weta people.

Looking at most of the pictures from the Hobbit already - one thing is for sure, this movie is going to give us some stunning and beautiful weaponary!

I want nearly every sword and staff i have seen so far, need to start saving now!!

Sting has its lettering from the get-go in the film, judging by the trailer.

EDIT: And UC has the license and will be producing replicas of Orcrist and all manner of other things. In addition, Orcrist's design is now meant to be more of a mate to Sting than Glamdring for the film, so said the Weta people.

If you look close, you will see Sting has no lettering on the blade or cross guard in the trailer. I don't know if anyone from Weta actually claimed Orcrist was supposed to be more of a mate to Sting in the film, but looking at it, they both clearly have the same design aesthetic. All three look very different though.

Oh no, The new staff looks so much better in my opinion !

No, no... :lol

I think the first staff is no more iconic... I love the Morie scene with the staff, the Hobbit staff has to prove that hes much better... :lol

Lets wait till the movie comes out, but I think I would be more happier with the Fellowship staff.

I dont like all swords after all... The Bormomir sword for example, this sword is defineatly not a Must-Have...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back