The Hobbit - Orcrist

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Nibenon, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Nibenon

Nibenon Active Member

Just when you think you have all the swords you could ever want to make... the trailer for ONE OF THE GREATEST STORIES EVER comes out... seriously, everyone must see the trailer.

So, anyone thought of making Orcrist (Thorin's sword) yet?

Attached Files:

2. Aestivalis

Aestivalis Active Member

Wow... that is very cool!... and interesting.

I made something similar a number a years ago. I call her "Petal". Made from a solid bar of steel (not stainless). All done with belt sander, angle grinder and various rasps and files. Initially envisioned as an Elvish greatsword. Total length is 35". And quite heavy (made for monster killin', not for smaller challenges).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chuckyAPP

chuckyAPP Sr Member

Very nice, aside from the handle it looks a lot like the Eli machete.

4. Szyntax

Szyntax Well-Known Member

Wow, Klingons came from Middle earth...who knew?

Anyway, really cool sword!

5. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Now that you mention it, Thorin does look remarkably like Gowron.

6. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

I hope United Cutlery gets this license and makes a replica of this sword. I'll be the first in line.

Scareb likes this.
  7. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Great. Now I'm gonna see that every time I look at him.

Scareb likes this.
  8. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Beautiful blade. Find it interesting they went single-edge with that instead of double.

Scareb likes this.
  9. bookface

bookface Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not a big fan of the single edge look...weren't Orcrist and Glamdring supposed to be almost twins?

10. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

As do I. I was always under the impression that The Foe Hammer & The Goblin Cleaver were sister swords, and therefore similar in make. I have no info to back that up, I was just under that impression.

I guess in universe in makes perfect sense though, as they ARE Elvish blades, and Elvish blades are represented in that style in the films...but that begs the question "What happened with Glamdring?"

11. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Oh oh... my poor wallet...

I see lots of new swords, axes, rings, staffs, bows, necklaces, helmets, costumes and other stuff...

Hopefully this time I will have an eye on the important stuff at the right time before its sold out...

But I have to say, I like the Gandalf staff from LOTR FotR more...

Scareb likes this.
  12. Gideon Vanguard

Gideon Vanguard Well-Known Member

+1 to the above. Perhaps not twins but very much alike in design. I'm hoping we see a re-design for Glamdring so there is not such a jarring contrast.

13. Nibenon

Nibenon Active Member

I think you have valid points, but possibly it would get confusing, all those double-edged swords... check out the trailer, Glamdring isn't getting a new look, AND they cameoed the Shards of Narsil... overall noobs would get confused with all those sword names...

So I'm thinking they're more polar opposites, complementary, but not identical.

Also, nice sword Aestivalis! THAT'S pretty darn close...

14. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very similar blade etching to Sting (film) as well, that swooping loop is almost identical..

15. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

The text was added for Bilbo after they returned. so itd make since that this this is an UNtexted version as he just found it

16. Scottryan15

Scottryan15 Well-Known Member

Edited.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  17. Jamanticus

Jamanticus Well-Known Member

Sting has its lettering from the get-go in the film, judging by the trailer.

EDIT: And UC has the license and will be producing replicas of Orcrist and all manner of other things. In addition, Orcrist's design is now meant to be more of a mate to Sting than Glamdring for the film, so said the Weta people.

18. G17RDY

G17RDY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking at most of the pictures from the Hobbit already - one thing is for sure, this movie is going to give us some stunning and beautiful weaponary!

I want nearly every sword and staff i have seen so far, need to start saving now!!

Scareb likes this.
  19. Kit Rae

Kit Rae Well-Known Member

If you look close, you will see Sting has no lettering on the blade or cross guard in the trailer. I don't know if anyone from Weta actually claimed Orcrist was supposed to be more of a mate to Sting in the film, but looking at it, they both clearly have the same design aesthetic. All three look very different though.

20. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

No, no... :lol

I think the first staff is no more iconic... I love the Morie scene with the staff, the Hobbit staff has to prove that hes much better... :lol

Lets wait till the movie comes out, but I think I would be more happier with the Fellowship staff.

I dont like all swords after all... The Bormomir sword for example, this sword is defineatly not a Must-Have...

21. moonwalker

moonwalker Active Member

ROFL :lol

22. Goodwolf

Goodwolf Sr Member

A friend and I were discussing the other night how much Thorin looks like Gowron. We started calling him Thowron.

23. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Glad to know I'm not crazy to see the resemblance, then.

24. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Lol, no, I'm serious. I watched the trailer again, and I was like, "Thank you, RPF. Gowron it is." ;) :lol

25. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

Spoke to Peter Lyon today.

He said they went when the Single edged design to be more of a GOBLIN CLEAVER.........

26. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Put like that it makes perfect sense.

27. Gideon Vanguard

So by that logic Glamdring as the "foe-hammer" or "beater" should have no edge?

Oh well to each his own.

28. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Well IIRC they were named by the goblins, so... maybe they were too busy trying not to die to apply logic to the naming?

29. Goodwolf

Goodwolf Sr Member

The Goblins called them Beater and Biter.

Not ones for fanciful names, them goblins.

30. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

I suppose it's better than "pointy-killing-thingy"

31. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

I'm still a big fan of Narsil/Anduril. But this movie might make me get a Sting replica.

32. Gideon Vanguard

This goes back aways but I have always been a fan of Audrey Corman's interpretation of Orcrist and Glamdring that she painted for the Middle Earth CCG. Ultimately these are the images I have stuck in my mind everytime I hear their names. She did a pretty keen version of Narsil as well, unfortunately she didn't provide the art for Anduril.

[​IMG]

I'll hold out for a Ringil replica but The Silmarillion, would be a tough movie adaptation.

33. thd9791

What pops into my head, and probably always will, are the swords form the 1970's animated version of the Hobbit. here are some pictures of Orcrist and some of the artist's rendering of sting. There's also a video of the company finding their swords (within the first 2 minutes), Glamdring is brown in the Hobbit.

The second video is Elrond inspecting and naming them within the first minute. later on the goblins catch them and hold Orcrist and yell about it. Glamdring comes in later (Gandalf is invisible!?) to save them all. Interesting designs, much unlike the live-action

The Hobbit Animated (1977) -part 2 (Turkish Sub) - YouTube

The Hobbit Cartoon Part 3 - YouTube

Really interesting to see the faces of people and creatures I first saw when introduced to this story.....they certainly were odd... hahaha

34. Nibenon

Nibenon Active Member

They were indeed... particularly seeing each dwarf, from each film, side-by-side... Also shows that Tolkien fans (classified as "nerds" by some of the lower orders) endure through any culture.

I suspect this is going to be more of a discussion thread, and less of a build thread.

35. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

I'm sure no one's gonna build this. For the same reason no one builds Anduril; UC's got the license, and they'll do a good job.

36. thd9791

Good point. Sorry If I strayed this thread, if anyone does want to build - nailing down the thing itself is the first step I guess..haha

37. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Nah, I'm with you. I like the animated Hobbit too - the sword designs aren't bad, either, even if they are supposed to be twinned.

So isn't it -

Glamdring and Orcrist are twinned, and Sting matches Glamdring as a dagger, like Boromir's sword and dagger set?

38. thd9791

I think so, i never thought of sting and glamdring as a set, but now that you mention it...it sounds right.

Man I would love to see the elf soldier that carried these in a past age

39. Nibenon

Nibenon Active Member

First I'd get the UC Orcrist, but remember all their swords have rattail tangs, which makes them somewhat... unusable...

So I'd probably copy the swords design to make a more rugged blade.

40. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Hang on, didn't we find out that's not true? There was a full tang on Hadhafang, wasn't there? Someone took one apart, or something, and there was a full tang on one of the swords. Might've been Sting, too.

41. Nibenon

Nibenon Active Member

Again, true, but all the longer, heavier swords were rattail. I'm assuming Orcrist is at least as big as Hadafang, so there's a slight chance it's a full (or at least a half) tang.

Praying and hoping, eh?

42. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Precisely. The Anduril-class of swords feel mighty solid, but they're almost certainly rat-tail.

43. Aragorn

Aragorn Member

Also, don't forget the blades are made of brittle stainless steel. The fastest way to get a set of shards of narsil would be to just take your UC Narsil and hack at stuff.

With the shorter swords/knives, you might be able to get away with the brittleness of the blade, but the longer ones are all definitely non-functional regardless of they are full tang or not.

44. Gideon Vanguard

+1
    Despite how well made they may be (rat-tail versus full tang) they were designed to be little more than wall hangers. That goes for for a good deal of what United Cutlery has to offer. Not that they aren't beautiful to look at.

It's not too say that "real" swords featuring those type of design elements couldn't be made as Christrian Fletcher has made variations on the "Strider" and "Glamdring" sword patterns that were designed to be quite functional.

Christian Fletcher Heroic Line

45. Nibenon

Nibenon Active Member

Whoa Gideon, thanks, as if my heart (and wallet) wasn't already set on 18 different purchases. Never having seen those before, my entire existence hinges on having one.

Now, to find a steel mill that sells bulk spring (high carbon) steel for under 1K... never live here, the weather is nice, but supplies for battle are limited/nonexistant...

46. Gideon Vanguard

I'm right there with you believe me, my brother owns a Borderwatch with custom scabbard+belt and its a beauty to behold. Having handled it several times in person it is a night and day difference when compared to handling a UC blade. Still I think he waited almost 6 months and spent the better part of $2000 to get his so they are definitely not meant to fit into everyone's collection/budget. I'll have to see if he has any pictures of it up in his webshots gallery.

I would encourage you to look around to see if you can find individual blades for sale if you wish to finish it yourself. I don't have any links available at hand but there are several places which sell bare blades. I'll have to look for some links.

47. Talyn626

Talyn626 Member

According to the text which I found on pg 51 of my revised edition paperback Elrond states, "These are not troll-make. These are very old swords, very old swords of the High-Elves of the west, my kin. They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars. They must have come from a dragon's hoard or goblin plunder, for dragons and goblins destroyed that city many ages ago. This, Thorin, the runes name Orcrist, the Goblin-cleaver in the ancient tongue of Gondolin; it was a famous blade. This, Gandalf, was Glamdring, Foehammer that the king of Gondolin once wore. Keep them well!"

So the way I read it all three blades are only necessarily related as being made by the same process and culture. Orcrist may have been the blade of a noted hero and Sting could have been a dagger to match either sword.

48. Kit Rae

The reference to it being the "mate" of Glamdring has been a bit blown out of proportion. I don't recall if it is stated as such elsewhere in the hobbit, but it is mentioned in FOTR, in a reference to Glamdring.
    "...girt at his side was the elven sword Glamdring, the mate of Orcrist that lay now upon the breast of Thorin Under the Lonley Mountain".

Sting would not have been mentioned as a mate of either by Tolkien since it is a long knife, not a sword.

What exactly Tolkien meant by 'mate' is unclear, but I think all he meant is that the two swords were found together, were both forged in Gondolin, obviously made it out of Gondolin together, and stayed together op to that point in The Hobbit. Mates. There is nothing in the text that I recall actually linking the blades by the same maker or design. I think that is an assumption people have made. Any of the three could have been made at any point in Gondolin, by any one of several smiths in the city. By inking the Sting and Orcrist design, the film makers are simply implying those two were likely made by the same smith, or at least for the same family.

Since the Goblins clearly recognized both swords as Biter and Beater, the term 'mates' by Tolkien may have been a reference to their assumed use against the Goblins in recent times. Probably wielded by Dwarves in the Battle of Azanulbizar. At some point the wielders lost them when they met their fate at the hands of the the trolls, Bill, Bert, and Tom.

I actually have one of the actor scale Orcrist props at the moment, and it is very clearly styled like Sting, but it also fits the book description on several points.

49. Aragorn

Aragorn Member

Hi Kit. Great to see you here at the RPF.

How goes the preparation for the UC hobbit items?

50. Kit Rae

I have actually been a browser of the forum for a long while.

The Hobbit items are coming along very well. It took a long while to figure out what items to actually make, but the first wave or replicas are more or less settled upon. There was a ton of material from Weta to look through, and props are still being made as they shoot the films. I really like what I have seen so far, and they are being very consistent with what we have already seen in LOTR. A lot of cool stuff that I would love to talk about, but can't obviously.