The Force Awakens AT-AT

I've seen them before in this picture. I'm not sure what to think of them yet. I need a closer look and some different angles.

Right now though, I'm not impressed by the new designs of any of the vehicles. I kind of wish they went with new designs instead of trying to just give a face-lift to old ones.

At the very least, you think regarding the tie fighters, the Tie Advanced and Tie Interceptor would have been closer to the next step in Tie fighter rather than the original ones.

I guess the ties must be like the A-10 warthogs, everytime they try to take them out of service they keep proving how useful they are

I've seen them before in this picture. I'm not sure what to think of them yet. I need a closer look and some different angles.

Right now though, I'm not impressed by the new designs of any of the vehicles. I kind of wish they went with new designs instead of trying to just give a face-lift to old ones.

At the very least, you think regarding the tie fighters, the Tie Advanced and Tie Interceptor would have been closer to the next step in Tie fighter rather than the original ones.

I guess the ties must be like the A-10 warthogs, everytime they try to take them out of service they keep proving how useful they are

In all honesty, so much of this has to do with reacting the the prequels. New, cool designs are too risky for them. I realize that this is premature, but it seems like this film is a reflection of the 1977 star wars and not the franchise as a whole. Nothing here feels as if it's part of an evolution.

You are right, of course. The interceptors do feel like a logical progression from the original TIEs

I have to agree with you guys. The designs are not inspiring. The troop transports look like some WW2 German minisub. The X-Wing is probably the only thing that I really like. The AT-AT does have some promise.

TazMan2000

It looks like some of the early TESB designs, with a gun turret on the belly. It looks like maybe the flexible neck retracts into the body when parked.
star-wars-troops-at-at-2_zpsm9efxfis.jpg

I guess I'm looking at it differently.

In the prequels, there was supposed to be, what, 1000 years of prosperity and peace or some such? So sure, they got to the point where aesthetics played a huge part of vehicle design. We started to see a slide into utilitarian by the end of the prequels and it was full on in effect by the OT. The Empire was spending money on quantity and size over appearances, meanwhile the Rebels were making the best they could out of whatever.

Keep in mind, in the span of about 18 years (Revenge of the Sith to New Hope) you had an entire Republic fall and replaced by the Empire. The OT only takes place over the span of a few years at best. And now the new films are 30 years later. So 50 years to see one 1000 year old galactic government fall, be replaced, THAT government fall, and now attempt to replace itself?

I think I'm ok with not a whole lot of innovative ship design. In fact, it would seem strange to me if things WERE radically different. I'd be asking myself how the scattered Empire managed to pull that off.

I guess I'm looking at it differently.

In the prequels, there was supposed to be, what, 1000 years of prosperity and peace or some such? So sure, they got to the point where aesthetics played a huge part of vehicle design. We started to see a slide into utilitarian by the end of the prequels and it was full on in effect by the OT. The Empire was spending money on quantity and size over appearances, meanwhile the Rebels were making the best they could out of whatever.

Keep in mind, in the span of about 18 years (Revenge of the Sith to New Hope) you had an entire Republic fall and replaced by the Empire. The OT only takes place over the span of a few years at best. And now the new films are 30 years later. So 50 years to see one 1000 year old galactic government fall, be replaced, THAT government fall, and now attempt to replace itself?

I think I'm ok with not a whole lot of innovative ship design. In fact, it would seem strange to me if things WERE radically different. I'd be asking myself how the scattered Empire managed to pull that off.

I like that, good post!

Chris

I'm kind of with you on that. I like the X-Wing and the Star Destroyer, but some of the other designs are really uninspiring. The landing craft in particular just looks, as I said in the Entertainment thread, like the designers were told to design something like a Higgins boat, so that's exactly what they spat out. I'm also disappointed that they used the same old TIEs and not had something really advanced like the EU TIE Avenger or Defender. I'll wait to see the movie first, but those really bug me.

It looks like some of the early TESB designs, with a gun turret on the belly. It looks like maybe the flexible neck retracts into the body when parked.

I said in the spoilers thread that if this AT-AT (if that's what it is) doesn't have a belly turret and/or something on the legs to cut wires then it won't make sense. I'm wondering if this is artillery since it seems to have a way larger gun on it.

I hope we still get a couple old designs in this film. Not just destroyed, but still in use. Maybe appropriated by pirates or something

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I guess I'm looking at it differently....

...I think I'm ok with not a whole lot of innovative ship design. In fact, it would seem strange to me if things WERE radically different. I'd be asking myself how the scattered Empire managed to pull that off.

Agreed. If you look at the Tie fighters, they've gone through more of an evolution than a revolution. The panels look different. They're beefier where the "wings" meet the body. They've got a turret at the bottom which could mean they've got 1 pilot and 1 gunner. They're more like a new mark than a brand new fighter.

Also, this is only the first of many new movies. Let's remember that they didn't introduce the Tie Interceptor until ROTJ and the Bomber until ESB. Maybe they're just spreading things out? They kinda went nuts by introducing all these different troopers (regular stormies, flamers, snowies, sandies, pilots, whatever else is in the photo).

Not a huge fan of the troop ships but I can see the logic behind them. They're not fancy and they're probably pretty disposable so why make them anything but utilitarian.

Maybe they'll dust off the Tie Defender in another flick? I'd love to see that one on the big screen.

As far as the new AT-AT, I have no issue with it. It looks like an evolution and kinda makes sense. It seems like most of the equipment is evolutionary than completely different, and I like that. Makes it seem a bit more realistic than having everything all brand new and completely different.

Last edited:
I disagree with the TIE fighters. It looks like an Original TIE model was put on someone's desk and a child glued bits and pieces from other models.
Much like this;

image.jpg

TazMan2000

yeah, they didn't even get what was supposed to be the engines correct. The put what looks like two miniature hatch bits in their place. I think they thought the thing in the middle was the engines, so they made it smaller and put them on each side where the original engine thrusters (the red dots) were

csm_06693__D_02_FIRST_ORDER_SPECIAL_FORCES_TIE_FIGHTER_ca36fed285.jpgtieball2.jpg

I'd say its continuity , remember the backlash from the older fans at the look of the prequels , being too clean
id say it's to make us feel warm and fuzzy before the designers are given carte Blanche to create what they want for the next 2
Passing the batten
i am disappointed that a lot of the empire ships didn't get meatier , but image seeing all the ships bar the falcon looking new .......may not sit right, also I take it there is a lot of instability in the galaxy still so maybe things haven't moved on far .....only 3 months

You'd think that both sides would have made advances in the last 30 years. I mean I know in the real world we have 40 year old aircraft still in service but we also have a ton of new stuff. Unless they have newer stuff out there they're not releasing images of.

Oddly, I kinda like the back of that. You have to admit, they never really thought out the engines on the old TIE's. Those little dots look a bit underpowered

I don't mind the beefed up engines, but look close at the nozzles. It like the just miniaturized the back hatch part so they don't really look like engine nozzles to me

There are two different types of TFA TIEs seen so far. You guys seem to be talking about the so-called "spec ops" TIE. Most of them, as seen in the trailers, are just the normal OT-style TIEs, painted black.

Talking about the TIE rear window,....these guys have made some nice mock-ups,.....always impressed by what they do

Top & rear opening hatches,....makes sense,....

From what I understood, the top hatch was used more like an escape hatch while the rear was generally the main hatch.

Of course that doesn't work for the Tie Advanced. The top hatch is the only way in there

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back