The Force Awakens AT-AT

There are two different types of TFA TIEs seen so far. You guys seem to be talking about the so-called "spec ops" TIE. Most of them, as seen in the trailers, are just the normal OT-style TIEs, painted black.

No, the TFA model is different, imagine the spec ops model but without the wheel-like protrusion on around the solar panel roots.
---
IIRC the Tie Advanced sported the same rear window during the cockpit interior scenes, continuity error?

No, the TFA model is different, imagine the spec ops model but without the wheel-like protrusion on around the solar panel roots.
---
IIRC the Tie Advanced sported the same rear window during the cockpit interior scenes, continuity error?

Here is the regular "first order" tie. I believe this is a one seater
http://starwarscollector.de/wp-cont...ai-First-Order-Special-Forces-TIE-Fighter.jpg

The special ops two is a two seater and also has the additional mounted guns for the gunner. Not sure if it is larger overall

As far as the Tie Advanced, its a continuity error since they used the same set for both. It was later retconned as some kind of 'transparent" steel view screen

---

Are there any more pics of the regular TFA TIE fighter? I'm not seeing where it's different than the OT TIE fighter, besides the color.

From what I can see on Bandai's site so far:
different detailing around the Cockpit Ball...less greeblie
different detailing and structure difference on the solar panel pylons.
new detail on the attachment point to the Solar panels.
new blasters
antenna in the same location as the Special Forces TIE just smaller

compair the picture above with the OT TIE model here: http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/products/mc/mc04.html and you'll start to see the differences.
the have a very similar silhouette but are actually quite different in the details. Kind of like the difference between the legacy F/A-18C Hornet and the F/A-18E SuperHornet.

Chris

Last edited:
I'm just not seeing that. The spec ops TIE is certainly different, with the details you describe, but it sounds like there is some confusion here. Maybe I'm the one that's confused.

While the AT-AT thread is currently a TIE fighter discussion, I believe the details featuring prominently on the sides of the cockpit ball are air intakes, that and the new engines suggest these new TIEs have been optimized for atmospheric flight.
They could have made it look more aerodynamic, however.

Well, if anyone has some nice pics showing these changes, I'd love to see them. I am now seeing what might be reinforcements where the pylons join the ball, but I'm not seeing any intakes.

There was a fan concept art/illustration that shows a similar design with the film.
Звездные-Войны-&#.jpeg
-Angel

I disagree with you on this, this film is meant to be after the original trilogy, therefore, why would the vehicles suddenly and radically change after such a short period?

I've seen them before in this picture. I'm not sure what to think of them yet. I need a closer look and some different angles.

Right now though, I'm not impressed by the new designs of any of the vehicles. I kind of wish they went with new designs instead of trying to just give a face-lift to old ones.

At the very least, you think regarding the tie fighters, the Tie Advanced and Tie Interceptor would have been closer to the next step in Tie fighter rather than the original ones.

I guess the ties must be like the A-10 warthogs, everytime they try to take them out of service they keep proving how useful they are

I'm curious how the belly guns on the TFA TIE works, because due to the large wings you can only shoot front and back, no lateral.

I disagree with you on this, this film is meant to be after the original trilogy, therefore, why would the vehicles suddenly and radically change after such a short period?

I agree. It wouldn't make any sense at all for things to look radically different. An evolution or natural progression makes more sense.

I agree. It wouldn't make any sense at all for things to look radically different. An evolution or natural progression makes more sense.

Actually it makes perfect sense. One way to make science, research and development make a giant leap forward is war. War FORCES one to make startling leaps forward to have the best, biggest, meanest and most effective weaponry. WW1 they were using bi-planes and trench warfare, WWII was only 30 years later and modern warfare was born. There was the development of tanks, jet engines, missles and finally the mother of them all Nuclear power. We jumped 100 years in technology in 30 just so we could find a way to kill our fellow man more efficiently.

Actually it makes perfect sense. One way to make science, research and development make a giant leap forward is war. War FORCES one to make startling leaps forward to have the best, biggest, meanest and most effective weaponry. WW1 they were using bi-planes and trench warfare, WWII was only 30 years later and modern warfare was born. There was the development of tanks, jet engines, missles and finally the mother of them all Nuclear power. We jumped 100 years in technology in 30 just so we could find a way to kill our fellow man more efficiently.

True, but you're comparing stuff over a 100 year time period. Think about developments in the past 30-ish years instead. Nothing has really changed too much, save for stuff like the stealth aircraft, but they only represent a tiny fraction of the aircraft in service.

Same goes for the Star Wars universe. If it's only been 30-40 years, the changes will be much smaller in scale, more like refinements than something brand spankin' new.

It's like saying that all military ships should have rail guns on them by now, know what I mean?

Nah. War does advance things but as far as we know, full on war has not been raging for the last 30 years in the GFFA. Even in modern times, things have not changed that dramatically in 30 years. The A-10 Warthog of the 70s is not significantly different than the A-10 Warthog of 2015, minus perhaps some avionics and weapons packages.

Nah. War does advance things but as far as we know, full on war has not been raging for the last 30 years in the GFFA. Even in modern times, things have not changed that dramatically in 30 years. The A-10 Warthog of the 70s is not significantly different than the A-10 Warthog of 2015, minus perhaps some avionics and weapons packages.
But there are also newer designs in existence.

Which is why there should also be old school vehicles being used in this film...as well as newer sleeker models

True, but you're comparing stuff over a 100 year time period. Think about developments in the past 30-ish years instead. Nothing has really changed too much, save for stuff like the stealth aircraft, but they only represent a tiny fraction of the aircraft in service.

Same goes for the Star Wars universe. If it's only been 30-40 years, the changes will be much smaller in scale, more like refinements than something brand spankin' new.

It's like saying that all military ships should have rail guns on them by now, know what I mean?
No I am not, the difference between WWI-WWII is only about 30 Years, We have missles now that can target a toilet in a house 5k miles away.

But fine, Let's take war out of the equation then. Look at the difference in technology from 1990 to 2010, hell just look at the difference between the cars from then and what they look like and their capabilities are now. In 1990 I was working on VAX VMS and DEC mainframes with reel to reel magnetic tapes now I have 15 servers in a space 1/5'th the size of that one mainframe. 30-40 years is one HELL of a difference and if you think otherwise you are just not paying attention.

it depends on which 30 year block you look at

Aircraft shapes sure have changed a lot between 1950 and 1980, but shape wise, have not changed much between 1985 and 2015 (although the technology in them has)

So I guess I could buy the fact that things might not have changed much, but at the same time, there should be some brand new spacecraft models at some point. They just completely dropped the Tie Advance and Interceptor line? Nobody has come up with some kind of tie variant besides the classic one in 30 years

The Resistance/Rebels abandoned A-wings, Y-wings and B-wings? They haven't found any other design of use?

No I think they just stuck with what was considered safe by only using Ties and X-wings that were slightly "modernized".

As someone else mentioned, most likely to avoid the perceived backlash of the prequel designs compared to the beloved OT designs

I guess it can't be Star Wars unless you have some variant of Lightsabers, Tie Fighters and X-wings.

lets not forget about the f-16... how many revisions did it go through? (those revisions also featured noticeable changes to the outward appearance as well) it feels like a million, and it had quite a long service.

For anyone complaining about new designs, or interested in the backstory for the new designs, read the new books that were released, there are quite a few references to ship technology, and their faults, hinting towards future upgrades... (the AT-AT is specifically mentioned in Lost Stars)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back