My attempt at a 1/6 Superman figure

Chrisisall

Sr Member
For like forever I've wanted a good 1/6 Chris Reeve Superman figure. Hot Toys came out with a nice toy a while ago, but before it was released I realized that I didn't want to go into debt to get something so, well, toy-like (the true Reeve likeness just isn't there for me).
superman-the-movie---superman--christopher-reeve--12--figure---hot-toys-sideshow-mms152-p-imag...jpg

I recently finished a Horizon vinyl 1/6 Robocop 3 (not an easy kit to customize to the desired look),
20230309_162918.jpg

and that gave me the guts to go for the brass ring. I also found a dude in Canada that 3D prints replacement heads for toys, and his 1/6 Reeve head is stunning. THAT made me decide to do it, since I don't have to worry on getting the face right. Caped Wonder has some excellent reference images that I'm studying for the body that I intend to fabricate from epoxy putty, Super Sculpey, or a combination of both. I bought aluminum wire for an armature, and when the head arrives (estimate says the 28th) I'll do some drawings in scale to it and begin with the wire, and aluminum foil, then build upon that.
I have experience making phasers and spaceships and such, but this will be my first dive into doing a full human form from scratch.
Suggestion and/or tips welcome. Hopefully it will be interesting to watch me either succeed or make a fool of myself.
s-l1600.png
CW-STM-city-hall-pose.jpg
c1669dc74743f4b49ad95ef5550ee452--superman-symbol-superman-movies.jpg

Got the head today, I was surprised that it needs no sanding at all! Looks to be same scale as my Robocop.
Based on this head which is 1 & 3/4 inches, this body will be nearly 12 & 1/2 inches tall. Compared to my Robocop which is 12 & 1/4" tall.
20230726_170825.jpg
20230726_170850.jpg
20230726_191846.jpg

Last edited:
Chris,
You’re right, that head is incredible! When you sculpt the body, I would suggest using one material or the other. Super Sculpey is good stuff, but it can be a pain to work with. It’s not that strong and prone to cracking once baked. Adding epoxy putty on top is ok, but when it comes to sanding and blending, the two materials are different hardnesses, can be tough to get the results you want. I know many people get amazing results with it, not me! I would recommend Magic Sculpt epoxy putty. You can rough in your forms, and carve and sand and build up with it, it’s a beautiful material and plenty strong. Especially if the sculpture is going to be your finished piece. Good luck with your sculpture, I look forward to seeing your work!
Mike

Chris,
You’re right, that head is incredible! When you sculpt the body, I would suggest using one material or the other. Super Sculpey is good stuff, but it can be a pain to work with. It’s not that strong and prone to cracking once baked. Adding epoxy putty on top is ok, but when it comes to sanding and blending, the two materials are different hardnesses, can be tough to get the results you want. I know many people get amazing results with it, not me! I would recommend Magic Sculpt epoxy putty. You can rough in your forms, and carve and sand and build up with it, it’s a beautiful material and plenty strong. Especially if the sculpture is going to be your finished piece. Good luck with your sculpture, I look forward to seeing your work!
Mike
Thanks for the recommendation! I was gonna use Super Sculpey for just the cape, but I'm leaning towards using epoxy putty for all of it since it is really predictable. Magic Sculpt sounds great, but I can't just buy it in a store around here, and I'm frankly sick of waiting for stuff. JB Water Weld epoxy putty is available everywhere, you just have to work fast with it.
Hardening the target with more drawing now.
20230726_215652.jpg

If the body is to be covered in a fabric costume I would recommend sticking exclusively to apoxie sculpt for the body. Putting super sculpey on top can risk cracking. Only use super sculpey if you intend to mold and cast a resin copy.

I know you don’t like waiting for stuff, but I would suggest purchasing a cheap 1/6 scale body and modifying that by sanding, cutting, gluing, to get the proportions you want. Then you can add your choice of epoxy putty to shape, bulk, and detail.
Places like monkeydepot has cheap bodies for around $10 plus shipping or Amazon for about $20. It can save you some time and materials, rather than starting completely from scratch.

Chris,
Before you buy a bunch of JBWeld, test small batch and let it harden. Check to see how carvable and sandable it is. I tried an “off the rack” epoxy putty once, and it was like trying to carve a rock! Many of those are meant for general repair and not the sculpting we’re talking about. I just don’t want you to be frustrated when there are better putties out there. And VashD’s idea is a good one, too!

Chris,
Before you buy a bunch of JBWeld, test small batch and let it harden. Check to see how carvable and sandable it is. I tried an “off the rack” epoxy putty once, and it was like trying to carve a rock! Many of those are meant for general repair and not the sculpting we’re talking about. I just don’t want you to be frustrated when there are better putties out there. And VashD’s idea is a good one, too!
I would recommend Devcon Plastic Welder, as JBWeld doesn't play well with Sculpey, but Plastic Welder does. My figure's head is carved from Sculpey (not my best work, admittedly).

Once I have some money (hoping soon!), I may revise my figure with a better suit and head.

Chrisisall : going to be watching this with great interest! :)

I know you don’t like waiting for stuff, but I would suggest purchasing a cheap 1/6 scale body and modifying that by sanding, cutting, gluing, to get the proportions you want. Then you can add your choice of epoxy putty to shape, bulk, and detail.
Places like monkeydepot has cheap bodies for around $10 plus shipping or Amazon for about $20. It can save you some time and materials, rather than starting completely from scratch.
Thanks, but I've already done some measurements, and because Chris was 6'4" and not 6' or 6'1" a twelve inch figure just won't look right. It has to be almost 12 & 1/2 inches. It really kinda has to be done from scratch...

Chris,
I've worked with JB Weld for years. Trick to it is, carve just after it feels firm (as it's cooling, but before it sets completely). Once it cures it's like stone, and can only be sanded, and even that's a CHORE! I've also used it for plumbing repairs.:cool:
The body of this phaser I made is all JB Weld....

IMG_20221123_212904.jpg

I would recommend Devcon Plastic Welder, as JBWeld doesn't play well with Sculpey, but Plastic Welder does. My figure's head is carved from Sculpey (not my best work, admittedly).

Once I have some money (hoping soon!), I may revise my figure with a better suit and head.

Chrisisall : going to be watching this with great interest! :)
I think I've given up on the idea of using sculpey at all on this project.
Tweaking the pose a bit. Please excuse the crudity of the head; I can draw stuff, but this is a schematic for proportions for the armature...
20230727_165751.jpg

Thanks, but I've already done some measurements, and because Chris was 6'4" and not 6' or 6'1" a twelve inch figure just won't look right. It has to be almost 12 & 1/2 inches. It really kinda has to be done from scratch...
Not all 1:6 scale bodies are scaled for a 6’ tall person, there are taller 1:6 scale bodies and shorter bodies. For example, there is a 1:6 Lebron James figure scaled to his 6’9” height. The descriptions sometimes say a body is for a 12” figure, but that is just a generalized term when figures can actually be shorter or taller than 12”.

1:6 is just the scale so every inch of a figure equals to 6 inches of a real person.
So even if you get a standard body scaled for a 6’1” person, you just need to add approx. .5”. That’s why there are ankle extenders for figure bodies that adds more height for taller people.

Since it seems like you’re planning to make a statue, adding height would be easy to a premade body. Heck, you can even buy a cheap poseable Ken doll and add or reduce height as needed.
Here’s an example with a quick google search:

IMG_3953.jpeg

I’ve been a 1:6 scale figure collector and customizer as well as a sculptor for many years and believe me that modifying figures are always easier than making it from scratch.

Last edited:
By the way, I have the Hot Toys Superman and though it’s not perfect, the head sculpt is not as bad as the picture on the first post.
View attachment 1723326
Yeah, his eyes don't seem crossed like in the picture I found. Still, the neck seems a bit too thin (for me). The body is really nice, though.
Modifying is always easier. When I made my Star Trek V/VI phaser, I was asked why I didn't just get an airsoft Beretta and mod it instead of making it from scratch with epoxy putty*.... because it would have doubled the price of the build. Plus, I like a challenge! I may fail at this one, but it'll be all me.
original_b179a357-5511-4f9c-8b07-80d1f7c658dc_IMG_20220606_192734.jpg

*metal parts courtesy of Nicksdad.

So even if you get a standard body scaled for a 6’1” person, you just need to add approx. .5”. That’s why there are ankle extenders for figure bodies that adds more height for taller people.
That's another thing, Chris' height did come in part from long legs, but also from a long torso. Extend the ankles, then the thighs, then the torso... too much dremel for me. Easier in the long run to sculpt (but admittedly a bit more time consuming).

Last edited:
That's another thing, Chris' height did come in part from long legs, but also from a long torso. Extend the ankles, then the thighs, then the torso... too much dremel for me. Easier in the long run to sculpt (but admittedly a bit more time consuming).
Yeah; on mine, I had to make the legs, torso and arms a little longer to account for his height.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back