The Falcon & Winter Soldier (tv series)

Well,I gotta say, I REALLY enjoyed this series, but there were some problems that the aborted Flag Smashers storyline that kept this thing from being better. It really showed here in the finale.

Until now, I'd have to give the show an A with the Bucky & Sam story, a B+ with the John Walker story, an A with the Isaiah Bradley story, & a C for the Flag Smashers.

All those grades stand, except the Flag Smashers, which drops to a D-. I can applaud the powers that be for what they were able to salvage, but that doesn't make it good, & the editing for anything involving them in this finale felt very disjointed.

Not hating on it or anything, but those were my takeaways.

I'm curious to see how they would've handled the Flag Smashers if they hadn't decided to edit it. Their original virus story would've probably been better and made things a bit more cohesive. Love the Isaiah plot line, can't say enough good things about that. Exceptional acting and well written characters for the most part. This is what the superhero genre needs more of.

Last edited:
TBH We really didn't need Sam's "moral equivalence" speech. A good speech provokes epiphany, but there was nothing even remotely insightful about this one.

I almost LOL'd because it was turning into a morality play.

Screen+Shot+2013-03-20+at+11.44.42+PM.png

His conversation with Isaiah, though, was very moving. I don't think we needed the Smithsonian Exhibit scene - that was just too convenient a fix for a lifetime of suffering and regret.

Last edited:
TBH We really didn't need Sam's "moral equivalence" speech. A good speech provokes epiphany, but there was nothing even remotely insightful about this one.

I almost LOL'd because it was turning into a morality play.

View attachment 1449800

His conversation with Isaiah, though, was very moving. I don't think we needed the Smithsonian Exhibit scene - that was just too convenient a fix for a lifetime of suffering and regret.

Why wouldn’t Sam picking up the shield and stepping into the mantle in a polarized country be addressed?

Why wouldn’t Sam picking up the shield and stepping into the mantle in a polarized country be addressed?

There's no problem with the message. It's a criticism of the scripting.
It is as if Steve, in Winter Soldier, gave a speech, "I only wanted to serve my country, but look at what it has become! I am a man from a time where right and wrong were so clear but now I don't know whom to trust. Where did we go wrong? Even my best friend has turned against me. Bucky is a symbol of how we have lost our way. But I, who carry this shield, represent the ideals that once made this country great must bring Bucky around just as we must bring this country back." *groan*

I think the message is more powerful if it remains implicit.

Last edited:
A bit underwhelmed I must say, largely because of the Flag Smashers, but also because they had a pretty bombastic first episode, yet this was pretty subdue in terms of spectacle. Also Walker was setup well, and yet it was resolved a bit to easily in my book. I would have much liked if they spent more time with him, have a rematch for the shield perhaps. Karli I just couldn’t care. I liked Sam’s approach of the situation, trying to diffuse and learn, but it wasn’t working for me. So much time wasted on them when you had Zemo and Walker who were so much more interesting… The rest was good however. I don’t know, maybe an episode more would have helped a bit?

édit for embarrassing spelling…

Last edited:
The flag smashers were just a mcguffin plot device to drive the character development and story arc for Sam, Bucky, and John, not really villains on the same level as Loki, Thanos, Ultron, etc...
They served as an example of how not to handle legitimate grievances and as a way of contrasting to the viewer how Sam is not like them. The writer also had them martyred and literally laid at the feet of the bureaucrats/politicians/leaders just to add the weight of tragedy to Sam's monologue.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back