"The Dutchman, is under MY control!" 1/72 Flying Dutchman POTC

THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!
im building the black pearl atm. Would be fun to try the flying dutchman as well

So, after getting ALOT of stuff finished and cleaned up, I found myself recharged and have started over on the ship. I've since redone ALL the measurements, and redone all my math on the scale, and found out my length was off by about 4 1/2 inches, and the width was off by 2 inches!! That's one fat mama! The good news is that now I have a set of proper printed plans, and am building her up, deck by deck, old school. With tracing paper and everything. :) Her size is still very impressive in 1/72, clocking in a 21.6 inches. The bowsprit will add another 5 inches, and the stern lanterns will add 1 1/2 inches. She's much more streamlined now, and the overall shape matches photos way, way, better. Her height is also impressive, with the highest point being about 8 inches. About half the ship exists underwater. When I put her next to the Pearl at waterline height, everything matches up perfectly fom the 'I've got a jar of dirt!" scene. I'm gonna get some pictures up eventually, but I'm so charmed by the progress I've made, I felt obligated to update!!

Update: Comparative pic of model as it currently sits with dock side shot of the prop ship. Happy Thanksgiving!
ships.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back