"The Dutchman, is under MY control!" 1/72 Flying Dutchman POTC

Re: Coming soon . . .1/72 Flying Dutchman POTC

No prob. Hoping to do better on that price point, we'll see once I do the hard math.

Also, feedback on how much deck detail/spaces to detail would be helpful. I'm torn.

well, i am sure there are many modelers who would love and appreciate all the detail you can cram into the thing.

me, well, not to say my standards are lower, but i'm happy with less deck detail as i do not intend to look at the finished piece with a microscope, but love having a nice representation of the ship to sit out on my shelf. the most i would do is try to customize some of the available pirate figures (provided yours is similar in scale to Zvezda Pearl) so the ship could have some crew milling about.

those that wish to add more detail could...like the peter who is modifying the heck out of his Pearl (looks amazing), but guys like me happy to build as is.

that said, it is your project, and you're ultimately the one that has to be happy with it. i have no experience pulling molds and making resin copies, so i have no idea how much more difficult it is to add this detail and make sure it does not get lost in the molding process.

i will repeat that what i've seen so far blows me away. while the price point may mean i have to send payments in weekly installments, i am definitely in for this as i have always wanted a model of this ship...and i can't imagine any model company will be releasing a styrene kit of this anytime soon, especially considering what happened with the Zvezda Pearl kit.

I was waiting for this for awhile..looking pretty sweet and I love the scale..might need to start saving.. ;D

How about posting a pic or two of the other end or back of the ship...would love to see your work on that!

MMM

Trade you a half scale 1701 for one!! ;)

Seriously though . . .I should have this ready for sale round about late Feb. I'm dying to do the paint job!!

LOL! I missed this post. We can work something out you and I. Between you me and Scott, we'll get something done.

How about posting a pic or two of the other end or back of the ship...would love to see your work on that!

MMM

Ack! I don't have anything sculpted back there . . .YET. . .
I've held off while finishing up the Indy tank, but I'll be heading back to sea soon!

I'm pretty much just cast cannons . . .over and over and over . . . .zzzzzz I think I'm going to have some time this weekend to do a little work on her though.

Yes, I will be returning to this model towards the end of the month. Many, many preojects to wrap up. April will be a my month off.

I did a Black Pearl based on Henry Morgan's ship, tattered black flags from cloth and then for 3 months into an aquarium with a bright ass light. Pulled it out and let the algae and dry and bleach a bit in the sun. The effect is almost humanly impossible to recreate, It really looks like it was down in DJ's Locker.

cjs -- please post pics
Gimme 2 days its in my aquarium now lol. I will pull it out and let it airdry though.
0812001900.jpg

Here's some pics, you can see the color ok and that depending on light it doues different thicknesses, obviously less in shaded parts. When I originally did it it was in a tank with just a few fish and no algae control chemicals or anything so there was a maybe 2-3 mm strandy type algae on it. Now it''s more of a flat type scaly crud on it. But it's amazingly natural looking, I gues because it is lol. Be warned it will smell like seaweed for probly a week. Maybe aired outside will help, but the look is really really awesome for what you need. The in water pic was just before I pulled it out so you can really see how greener it gets after you bring it out to dry. Cell phone pics so a bit of the detail gets lost. Hope this helps. You could probly weather or even do some removing or adding of color, it is a really good base though and its surprisingly hard and durable.
photo0146x.jpg

photo0145yg.jpg

photo0144hc.jpg

very awesome creation, must have been a tough struggle getting all that detail but its looks great very well done

any news on this? i know u were taking april off -- do u plan to start up again on this in May?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back