The Cthulhu Idol – Inspired by The Call of Cthulhu by H P Lovecraft

heyitsdan

I have seen many idols over the years - some good, some great, some not quite on the money – but none of them has ever really captured what I feel the thing should look like. Taste is obviously subjective, and everyone will have a different idea of what is right (for any design of any thing), but after seeing my fifty thousandth bodybuilder style Cthulhu with angry eyebrows, I thought I would have to set things right and make my own!
That’s not to say there haven’t been many excellent idols made – there are plenty. Part of the brilliance of this story in particular is that we know there are multiple idols from cults all around the globe, and thus there is no need to choose a definitive version – to say, “Yes, this is it”.

So, while looking for inspiration (and great ideas to steal), I came across Matt Wedel’s blog Echo Station 5-7, and his posts on the subject.
Cthulhu idylls
What I want in a Cthulhu idol

I won’t repeat what he says, but suffice to say he makes the point that reducing Cthulhu to a facsimile of Arnie with a squid on his head is to miss the fact that this is an eldritch being from beyond our world.

Of course, his posts lead me to Nick Daring’s build on the RPF HERE and, while an excellent piece, I am inclined to agree with Matt Wedel that “Nick Derington’s Cthulhu sculpt leaves me cold: it certainly looks inhuman, it just doesn’t look very bright, and therefore not very scary.” Nick is a fantastic artist, so this is a purely subjective opinion; there's no questioning the quality of his work.

So, I set out to make my own. I tried to steer clear of bulging muscles, angry eyebrows, and perfect symmetry. I also avoided obvious asymmetry, which to me is too simple and easy a method of trying to make something look ‘weird’. I tried to create a piece which was asymmetrically symmetrical: on first glance it appears to be mirrored, but looking closer you notice a claw is off here, a shoulder droops there – everything is almost-but-not-quite matching.

I was inspired by other Cthulhu idols I have seen (many from the excellent Propnomicon blog), by marine life fauna and flora, and of course by Lovecraft’s description of the Legrasse idol.

tumblr_753ef7d4e8f897b33170d87438e2aef0_3be3fc9c_1280.jpg
shell-spiral.jpg
Lamellibrachia_luymesi1.png
Eunice_aphroditois.jpg

I did a variety of quick sketches to get some ideas down, and with more of a concrete idea of what I wanted, set to work sculpting. I should also say that I wanted to avoid the look of many other Cthulhu idols, by which I mean looking too much like a sculpture. Many idols I see have spindly little wings and intricate, fine details - which would never have survived the milennia since their creation without being broken off or damaged. Many ancient sculptures I have seen in museums and in photos have been monolothic, and blocky. They are carved from a single piece of stone, and often are quite simple, without fragile appendages or cutouts. So as I worked I leaned more towards something very solid. The viewer has to be able to imagine this idol being hewn out of a great chunk of some stone.

sketch6.jpg
sketch8.jpg
sketch1a.jpg
sketch1b.jpg
sketch2.jpg
sketch5.jpg
sketch9.jpg

I used mainly Milliput epoxy putty to sculpt the idol, with a base of cardboard, armature wire, aluminium and some styrene sheets. Of course, as I worked the piece changed and evolved to the medium – the 2D sketches I had done didn’t translate perfectly into a 3D Sculpture. But, eventually, I came up with something I am happy with.

WIP1.jpg
WIP2.jpg
WIP4.jpg
WIP5.jpg
WIP6.jpg
Final 1.jpg

I built a rather funky mould box out of MDF, poured in the silicone and - with a few slices up the back - produced a workable mould. Having plenty of plaster from a previous lifecasting project (I believe Herculite is the particular brand), I poured some test pieces with paint to dye the plaster. These first casts were very heavy, which from a perspective of authenticity is very nice (and the plaster feels like stone, perfect for a carven idol) - but would make postage costs excessive. So, with the help of a plug, I produced lighter casts with a hollow in the centre of the piece. This hollow also means that the inscribed bottom-plate I had made could act as a sort of lid, sealing the hollow - and giving the idol dual-purpose as a hiding-spot for small trinkets.

mould1.jpg
mouldopen1.jpg
mouldopen.jpg

The plaster casts had some problems with air bubbles and voids - to me this isn't really a big deal, they look in a way like natural faults in the stone - but I know some people will just see them for what they are: errors in casting. With some changes to the plaster/water ratio and some different techniques when casting, I managed to eliminate almost all of the voids.

I also experimented with tinting the plaster with paints and dyes, and with painting the casts after they leave the mould. The plaster has the useful quality of soaking up the paint when it is applied wet with a brush, and this enables a sort of layering effect with paint, and can give some nice marbled textures. This, combined with gold acrylic ink flicked into the mould and traced onto the finished cast, gives the look I was hoping to achieve.

Idol Gif.gif
Plaster 2.png
Plaster 0.png
PlasterB.png
PlasterA.png

I had some leftover Smoothcast 321 from another project, so I also rotocast a much-lighter-than-plaster version of the idol, which - while it doesn't have the nice weight or stone feel to it - is a lot easier to transport (such as to spooky board game nights with friends). Plus, the wings on the plaster versions are very fragile, even with an inner wire, while the resin is more resilient. I did have the idea that I could cast copies of the idol hollow, and then could fill them with plaster/sand/earth/whatever, to give them some real heft.

Resin 6.png
Resin 3.png

So there we go. I'm quite happy with the finished piece; it's strange after all this time working on it to finally have in front of me what I had vaguely pictured in my mind. I'd like to try casting a copy with a layer of transparent resin as a first coat, with green translucent resin behind that. But that's a job for future me.

CthulhuIdolOld.png

I am happy to answer any questions, thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Plaster2.png
    Plaster2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
  • Plaster1.png
    Plaster1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
What an amazing sculpt. I noticed you talked about fragile and thin parts and not wanting to do those, so I'm a little surprised you went with such thin raised wing parts. Going back to what you said about heft, maybe you could do a version where those raised parts of the wings have been fattened up a great deal, really bulk them up in that area, maybe almost touching at the middle or most of the way up only to slightly split apart at the very tip, so they don't feel so fragile in such a hefty looking piece.

It really has an otherwordly, inhuman feel, while still having the features described in the stories. Well done.

What an amazing sculpt. I noticed you talked about fragile and thin parts and not wanting to do those, so I'm a little surprised you went with such thin raised wing parts. Going back to what you said about heft, maybe you could do a version where those raised parts of the wings have been fattened up a great deal, really bulk them up in that area, maybe almost touching at the middle or most of the way up only to slightly split apart at the very tip, so they don't feel so fragile in such a hefty looking piece.

It really has an otherwordly, inhuman feel, while still having the features described in the stories. Well done.
The wings are rather thin, but they start quite thick at their base and then taper, so I thought in this case I would make an exception to my 'No spindly bits' rule. Plus I like how they look! I wanted the main focus to be the squatting form of Cthulhu, and I believe his wings are said to be 'narrow', so I didn't want to go against that with a bigger design that drew more attention. In fact in some of the other plaster casts, 1 or both wings did actually snap off - which to me actually made the piece look more real - it's a battered old artifact that has seen a lot of handling.

Here's a very bubbly, broken cast - which I like despite its flaws.
plastercast1.jpg

Thank you very much for your kind words!

I love it! Gorgeous interpretation!

Chasing the impossible vision of our beloved elder space god is the greatest artistic exercise.

The odd wings striations and structures are wondefully alien and add so much fun visual interest. I also love how that striation design element repeats with the face tentacles and the quasi-"hands". A wonderful way to unify the whole thing visually while adding a sense of the alien and the weird. It also delicately hints at the deco sensibilities of the era the story was conceived in.

So fun. So good. Clever stuff.

I love it! Gorgeous interpretation!

Chasing the impossible vision of our beloved elder space god is the greatest artistic exercise.

The odd wings striations and structures are wondefully alien and add so much fun visual interest. I also love how that striation design element repeats with the face tentacles and the quasi-"hands". A wonderful way to unify the whole thing visually while adding a sense of the alien and the weird. It also delicately hints at the deco sensibilities of the era the story was conceived in.

So fun. So good. Clever stuff.
Thank you so much! Coming from you that really means a lot.

Also all the cool tight straitions make my mind go to the awesome Eiko Ishioka designed Dracula armor.
View attachment 1705384

I love that armour! The whole film, actually - it's one of my favourites. Perhaps this image was floating around in my subconscious whilst I was working on the idol.

I'm glad that you decided to repost this, as it certainly IS a fantastic interpretation. Plus, I didn't get a chance to read all of the details and get a good look at the pics last time :lol:

I absolutely love the Art Deco stylings, and I really like what you did with the head slumped between the prominent (and pointy!) shoulders. SO good! All of the forms when seen head-on are just incredibly well-done. Thanks for sharing!

I wonder how H.R. Giger would have made one?
This guy - Maarten Verhoeven - who is a digital 3D designer, has done a few Gigeresque Cthulhu idols over the years:

https://www.artstation.com/mutte

73214925_158324388706647_1818528567914476263_o.jpg

83920903_187932115906073_1925933326457471847_o.jpg

298004148_791337385543957_1578513691636887105_o.jpg

I'm guessing Giger's interpretation would have been even more extreme, but I think this gives you an idea.

These are more classic of course…less Chronicles of Riddick inspired.

I would never dare attempt one…it is just too easy to make it look like something from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

It might be better to do his home, with one tentacle out from a door.

There is a way to make an acute angle behave obtuse:

Here, invert everything to where a little sailor figure slides to his doom in place of the ball. You want to imply a sense of wrongness…not squidward with wings.

My choice to depict the dread one?

A multi-vortex maxi-twister…townpeople frozen, unable to move…staring up at the sky…,waiting.

Apologies for the long absence and lack of replies, folks! Life has been busy, and I've been busy with an acting course in my spare time (perhaps leading to a Lovecraft-themed production? One can dream...).

I was delighted today, however, to open up my internet browser, check the excellent Propnomicon blog, and see this thread posted there! It is incredibly flattering to see this piece shared on a fan site like that one, and it really made my day.

I have done a few experiments with colouring some of the casts I have made, some more successful than others! I'll get some photos up soon if anyone is interested!

I'm glad that you decided to repost this, as it certainly IS a fantastic interpretation. Plus, I didn't get a chance to read all of the details and get a good look at the pics last time :lol:

I absolutely love the Art Deco stylings, and I really like what you did with the head slumped between the prominent (and pointy!) shoulders. SO good! All of the forms when seen head-on are just incredibly well-done. Thanks for sharing!

This guy - Maarten Verhoeven - who is a digital 3D designer, has done a few Gigeresque Cthulhu idols over the years:

https://www.artstation.com/mutte

I'm guessing Giger's interpretation would have been even more extreme, but I think this gives you an idea.
Thank you! I don't know what else to say to such high praise, but yes, thank you! I don't think I really thought about the Art Deco style when making the piece, but I am definitely a fan, so I suppose that came through. The parallel lines and stepped layers that we see on skyscrapers of that style seemed to work for flabby, gelatinous flesh and drooping feelers.

I do like Mr Verhoeven's work, he definitely nails the Giger aesthetic. Lovecraft's description is wonderful, detailed-yet-vague so that it can be interpreted in so many different styles.
These are more classic of course…less Chronicles of Riddick inspired.

I would never dare attempt one…it is just too easy to make it look like something from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

It might be better to do his home, with one tentacle out from a door.

There is a way to make an acute angle behave obtuse:

Here, invert everything to where a little sailor figure slides to his doom in place of the ball. You want to imply a sense of wrongness…not squidward with wings.

My choice to depict the dread one?

A multi-vortex maxi-twister…townpeople frozen, unable to move…staring up at the sky…,waiting.
Perspective tricks with an idol would definitely be a match made in Heaven, it's just a shame that such things only work from (usually) 1 specific angle. The non-euclidean geometry of Rl'yeh's architecture still boggles my brain when I try to picture it!

Very cool! I think it's so open to interpretation that all the cults might have all kinds of versions of what it's supposed to look like.
Exactly my thinking! Everyone unlucky enough to spot the big fella and live to make a copy would interpret what it was that they saw differently. So every interpretation is valid.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back