The Boys (Amazon Prime Video)

I caught a kind of funny thing in the last episode. I saw a reddit thread earlier in the day yesterday where a user had to assemble a super expensive ($123,500 expensive) table. This is said table:

IdhEsvm.png

And then lo and behold, what did I see when I watched episode 7 later that day:

PXL_20201005_054523327 - Copy.jpg

Can't say that's the first thing I'd buy with a spare $123,500. Good episode though, I'm loving this season.

That was a very good ending to season 2.

I've got a good home sound system, but whoever did some of the sound mixing for the episode knocked it out of the park. I normally get real good results out of my speakers and sub, but the work they did for...

...Stormfront's beat down...

...was great. I wasn't drowned by obnoxious side noise, but I could still feel every cathartic hit in my bones.

Going back and looking/listening again, it seems like most of the stand alone hits were edited to be on beat with the simple but heavy base line song they scored it with. so each big hit was just an even heavier base hit from the song. pretty neat.

That beatdown of Stormfront was SOOOOO satisfying! Aya Cash's performance is so spot on that I loathe her character. A perfect combination of smugness and arrogance that is terrifyingly potent because she has the superpowers to magnify those flaws to her own evil ends with few who could stand in her way. That scum is Hitler's dream girl. Seeing Kimiko, Starlight, and Maeve stomp that Nazi bitch into the ground literally made me shout and throw my hands in the air cheering them on. Three complicated, realistic and flawed characters teaming up to literally stamp out evil was one of many highlights of this season. I can't get this last episode out of my head I was so blown away.

That scene (and honestly this show overall) is a PERFECT example of how to do empowered female characters right! And that doesn't just apply to those with superpowers either. Grace Mallory is a standout. Being faced with the man who murdered her children she is given the chance to kill him when he surrenders himself. Now the consequences of her choices could mean allowing her own pain to be put to rest or she could set it aside for the greater good, knowing she can spare his life and have a chance to take all the supers down.

Becca was another one who, despite her lack of superpowers showed bravery, selflessness, and love by doing everything in her power to protect her son and dying in the process to do the right thing. She didn't have to be some man hating, self loathing feminist stereotype to accomplish all of her goals either. She was flawed, complicated, and felt like a real person faced with incredible odds and her choices shaped her into someone I could relate to. My heart broke for her son and Butcher when she died as well as for Becca herself who deserved so much more!!

These women could teach Rey, the female Ghostbusters, the new Charlie's Angels girls, and all the other pathetic attempts at empowered female roles a thing or two about what true feminism is all about and it all starts with GREAT writing. Something that is sorely lacking in a lot of these tentpole franchises.

I may just re-watch this season. I'm so impressed with it!

If you haven't seen this show yet and value quality writing and great performances, do yourself a favor and watch this. It delivers in spades!

That beatdown of Stormfront was SOOOOO satisfying! Aya Cash's performance is so spot on that I loathe her character. A perfect combination of smugness and arrogance that is terrifyingly potent because she has the superpowers to magnify those flaws to her own evil ends with few who could stand in her way. That scum is Hitler's dream girl. Seeing Kimiko, Starlight, and Maeve stomp that Nazi bitch into the ground literally made me shout and throw my hands in the air cheering them on. Three complicated, realistic and flawed characters teaming up to literally stamp out evil was one of many highlights of this season. I can't get this last episode out of my head I was so blown away.

That scene (and honestly this show overall) is a PERFECT example of how to do empowered female characters right! And that doesn't just apply to those with superpowers either. Grace Mallory is a standout. Being faced with the man who murdered her children she is given the chance to kill him when he surrenders himself. Now the consequences of her choices could mean allowing her own pain to be put to rest or she could set it aside for the greater good, knowing she can spare his life and have a chance to take all the supers down.

Becca was another one who, despite her lack of superpowers showed bravery, selflessness, and love by doing everything in her power to protect her son and dying in the process to do the right thing. She didn't have to be some man hating, self loathing feminist stereotype to accomplish all of her goals either. She was flawed, complicated, and felt like a real person faced with incredible odds and her choices shaped her into someone I could relate to. My heart broke for her son and Butcher when she died as well as for Becca herself who deserved so much more!!

These women could teach Rey, the female Ghostbusters, the new Charlie's Angels girls, and all the other pathetic attempts at empowered female roles a thing or two about what true feminism is all about and it all starts with GREAT writing. Something that is sorely lacking in a lot of these tentpole franchises.

I may just re-watch this season. I'm so impressed with it!

If you haven't seen this show yet and value quality writing and great performances, do yourself a favor and watch this. It delivers in spades!
You totally nailed that. Couldn't agree more.

That was a very satisfying season. Just so horrifically satisfying. I loved almost all of it.

Though some scenes were predictable, like the very ending (no spoilers for those who haven't seen it), some scenes were not. I really expected Stormfront to have been beaten during the earlier confrontation, though that one was so disappointingly lame, my wife and I literally exclaimed what the **** was that? Just about the lamest fight scene I've ever watched. Looked more like a schoolyard youtube teen "fight".

That real ending though with Stormfront, was so satisfying.

But other than that, they are really working hard on making Homelander such a horrific person. I really hope they don't keep trying to pull those little strings of compassion for him because he was a damaged child. We all make our choices as adults, and one's childhood issues only excuses so much.

**** though, it felt like too short a season, but also felt just right. It's the waiting for the next one that will suck so much.

Anyone pick up on the not obvious Toronto and surrounding area film locations? I'd swear that motel was the once again used Highway 400 motel. but the scene was so tight. It did sound like they were by the highway.

That was a very satisfying season. Just so horrifically satisfying. I loved almost all of it.

Though some scenes were predictable, like the very ending (no spoilers for those who haven't seen it), some scenes were not. I really expected Stormfront to have been beaten during the earlier confrontation, though that one was so disappointingly lame, my wife and I literally exclaimed what the **** was that? Just about the lamest fight scene I've ever watched. Looked more like a schoolyard youtube teen "fight".

That real ending though with Stormfront, was so satisfying.

But other than that, they are really working hard on making Homelander such a horrific person. I really hope they don't keep trying to pull those little strings of compassion for him because he was a damaged child. We all make our choices as adults, and one's childhood issues only excuses so much.

**** though, it felt like too short a season, but also felt just right. It's the waiting for the next one that will suck so much.

Anyone pick up on the not obvious Toronto and surrounding area film locations? I'd swear that motel was the once again used Highway 400 motel. but the scene was so tight. It did sound like they were by the highway.

Homelander's characterization is interesting, I think. I appreciate the sympathetic aspects because they highlight his actual choices as an adult. They certainly don't excuse his behavior. Rather they explain why he behaves the way he does and why he makes the choices he does.

Consider how screwed up a life he had, and what he could choose to do and be. He's literally as powerful as Superman, but he uses all of his power for his own indulgence and self-gratification. That's a choice he makes. He knows what pain is. He knows what isolation is. He could choose to act out of compassion and selflessness, but instead he chooses to act like "I can do anything I want!"

I absolutely agree on the season length. I think the Brits have been on to something for ages, where a 6-8 episode season is the perfect length IF you tell your story effectively. It's long enough to let a plot breathe, but not so long as to wear out its' welcome. It grabs your interest and leaves you wanting more, but still feeling satisfied at the end.

I want more episodes per season of this show. I also am very, very glad that I don't get what I want. I think fans are very often the worst judges of what they want. I mean, they can accurately describe it, but they don't often think about the long-term or story-based consequences of those choices. Like, I want XYZ to happen in a movie franchise I love, but I may not be considering that if that happens, it'll mean that a bunch of things I won't like will happen. It seems like Eric Kripke and the folks in charge of The Boys understand that, and are going to tell a tight story, without indulging the fans to the point of self-sabotage.

I’m pumped to see Soldier Boy /Janson Ackles the next season but man I want to see Tek Knight make an appearance.

I...kinda doubt we'll see TekKnight, or at least not the one from the comics.

There's a lot of depravity in the comics that I don't think they'll put in the show. The show has its own depravity, but comics take it in a particular direction that I just don't see them doing in the show, especially with the sexual content. I mean, some of it will likely come in, but a bunch is just really over-the-top.

I too am all for keeping certain material brief. I'd much rather have a shorter but more potent story than a longer weaker one. There are some stories that overstay their welcome and though it can be fun to indulge as a fan when you're really enjoying something, I'm more concerned about quality vs. quantity.

Going back and looking/listening again, it seems like most of the stand alone hits were edited to be on beat with the simple but heavy base line song they scored it with. so each big hit was just an even heavier base hit from the song. pretty neat.

Peaches - Boys Wanna Be Her

that is a great song and fun to see it pop up there

I think the song is supposed to be about Joan Jett or maybe Wendy O WIlliams

Although Joan Jett plays guitar on this song with her

Last edited:
It looks to me like it's supposed to be a kind of "pouty little kid" face. As that's generally his attitude, even when he's "in charge", on account of the inferiority complex.

He also has a commonly used "on the verge of getting emotional" thing he does when yapping in team meatings or addressing the public.

Lots of heavy sighs and puffed out cheeks to make people think he's gives a crap.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back