The Book of Eli machete pattern - FREE

I used simple and cheap acrylic paint, a couple shades of brown ('deep umber 'and 'chocolate chip'). As you can probably tell in a few spots, the cord was bright red to begin with.
Honestly tho it was a quick and sloppy job, with more time and care it would look much much better.
Good Eye award goes to TDD :thumbsup

I am doing a second blade and I made a slight change to the pattern(picture>words):
2010_02_14Pictures064.jpg

I beleive this is more accurate based on the pics posted from Premiere Props. Might be a little easier to wrap as well.

I used simple and cheap acrylic paint, a couple shades of brown ('deep umber 'and 'chocolate chip'). As you can probably tell in a few spots, the cord was bright red to begin with.
Honestly tho it was a quick and sloppy job, with more time and care it would look much much better.
Good Eye award goes to TDD :thumbsup

I didn't recieve my award yet...:lol

Seriously it looks great. Excellent job on the weathering..

An update for anyone who is waiting for me to get info on a stainless blade, I've been bumped again at the shop. Funny they are so busy they can't do this job for me, but not busy enough to give me my job back..:angry

Keep us updated on the new blade and tang design, fuel...I'm curious if the wrapping will be easier! If so...I'll modify my patterns to reflect your success! :thumbsup

I've been to dang busy the last couple of weeks to finish my machete, but I hope to get back on it soon....and I think I might experiment with the jute wrapping, just for fun....:cool (plus, I went back and watched the movie again Saturday, just for fun and research....)

Rob

I haven't heard, yet....

I've been trying to get a decent...*ahem*..."copy" of the movie, just to get some better views of the sheath (for my pattern) and machete handle wrapping, but as of yet, no luck...just crappy cam versions, which aren't very clear. :unsure

I finally wrapped the handle of mine using jute, but it didn't look right (I didn't take any pics, because it looked crappy), so I removed it, and am going to try it again, using the twisted paper method this time....:cool
Rob

I haven't heard, yet....

I've been trying to get a decent...*ahem*..."copy" of the movie, just to get some better views of the sheath (for my pattern) and machete handle wrapping, but as of yet, no luck...just crappy cam versions, which aren't very clear. :unsure

I finally wrapped the handle of mine using jute, but it didn't look right (I didn't take any pics, because it looked crappy), so I removed it, and am going to try it again, using the twisted paper method this time....:cool
Rob

i noticed in my "copy" that the sheath is adjustable on the strap part, like a belt....

well all i know is i want me a good quality steel fully sharpened and ready to go zombie hunting eli blade :lol .....who can help me outt?

I have done two. I found the first to be fun, but the second one was just work(And low pay at that :) ) Print out ghostsoldiers pattern, go buy a cheap angle grinder and some grinding and cutting discs, eye protection, and ear protection. Then go crazy and make your own. You will also need a drill to do the holes, I used a press and some big bits but you can get away with a 3/8 drill and a hole sizer.

Yeah...the first one is always the most fun. :thumbsup

Mine looks good hanging on the wall, but I doubt I'll ever get around to making another (or, the sheath, for that matter--I might make the pattern, but not the actual item). I've got so many other projects in the works, I can't spend time backing up re-visiting older efforts...maybe one day I'll spend time 'tuning it up', but for right now, I've got a full plate (that's why I don't make them for sale, either). :wacko

I usually do a project, and move on to the next one asap....so many interests, so little time! :cool
Rob

It looks like this project is too involved for anyone to start a run. That's too bad, I would love one of these and I don't think I have nearly enough skill to cut one myself.

ATTENTION: UPDATED to move V.2 patterns to the top....

Here ya go, folks....just giving back to the community any way I can! :thumbsup

Here's a free sheet of fan-made patterns I whipped up for the machete that Denzel uses in the movie The Book of Eli, based on some photo scans that were provided to me.

They are available in pdf format and Autocad dwg formats.

EliMachetefinal.jpg

V.1 PDF: Eli Machete final.pdf

V.1 DWG: Eli Machete final.dwg

OK, guys...here's a Version 2 of the machete, based on the new pics rabbit uploaded. I am showing the cross-sectional dimensions on the second image, so those of you who want to hand-draft the profile can do so--just strike a baseline, a drop length below it, plot the blade widths, and connect the dots by hand, or with a French curve.

I decided, instead of complicating this with 2 versions ("combat" and "hero"), that I would combine them both in one drawing. The only major differences are in the blade thicknesses, handle thicknesses, and the overall length (the Prop site says it is approximately 26" long--mine is 27")...and these are things each individual can alter to their discretion and/or liking (I lengthened the blade by 1 inch primarily to allow a base for the leather wrapping to ride).

V21.jpg

V.2.1 PDF: Eli Machete - V.2.1 final.pdf

V.2.1 DWG: Eli Machete - V.2.1 final.dwg

Enjoy! :cool
Rob

UDATED to V.2.1 to show larger center hole, and to darken blade profile outline lineweight for ease in pattern cutting.

Hi,
I am new to this site. I saw this movie last night and knew that I needed to have that knife/machette!! Much to my surprise, I stumbled onto this site and all of this valuable information. First, thank you for the drawings. I could probably make something that approximates the drawing, but I don't know that I would show it to anyone. Because of that, if anyone is planning on making these machette's and selling them, please keep me in mind.
Thank you very much,
Tim

HI,
Thanks to Ghostsoldier for the drawing. If anyone begins production of this knife/machette, I would be very interested in getting one.
Thanks again,
timbo007

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back