The Book of Boba Fett

My impression was he is a regular part of Jabba’s crew though. Granted it’s the SE, but he is with Jabba’s entourage in Docking Bay 94. And there must be a reason he’s just hanging out in the palace a year after delivering Han. Regardless, being a part of the underworld for 20+ years, I would’ve expected him to know more than what he seems to, just from osmosis. He almost comes across as naive.
Nothing gave me that impression, at best he might be on retainer but not a part of his regular crew and I highly doubt a part of his inner circle. But given his dialogue in ESB, I think that Fett just works for Jabba on a case by case basis since he did say that Han wasn't worth anything to him dead. This strongly implies that he's not on Jabba's payroll and Han was just a bounty. He was probably hanging around Jabba's palace because he was invited to by Jabba, possibly to discuss more jobs, a position in his organization, or to put him on retainer. But I don't think that he was there because Jabba's palace is home base for him.

DisneyFett.jpg

Nothing gave me that impression, at best he might be on retainer but not a part of his regular crew and I highly doubt a part of his inner circle. But given his dialogue in ESB, I think that Fett just works for Jabba on a case by case basis since he did say that Han wasn't worth anything to him dead. This strongly implies that he's not on Jabba's payroll and Han was just a bounty. He was probably hanging around Jabba's palace because he was invited to by Jabba, possibly to discuss more jobs, a position in his organization, or to put him on retainer. But I don't think that he was there because Jabba's palace is home base for him.
I think he was purely their to fill the palace with menacing characters..He didn't do much until the Sailbarge incident except a slight nod to Leia..

He's always been more an implication of character than actual character. Not that it's a bad thing. His menace was suggested rather than outright stated and die hard Fett lovers know this, even if they'd never admit it out loud. He was a bit part in a larger story, only there as an antagonist to be defeated. A cool looking henchman whose real charisma came from his mystery.

Even in the 90s with all the comics and novels where they fleshed him out it still didn't exactly enhance his presence in the original films because it just wasn't necessary. Perhaps a fun aside to the main story, but not essential. Most of the EU by that point was an appetizer to whet the appetite for more Star Wars content rather than existing as a true addition to benefit the narrative so Fett's development wasn't singular in that regard.

Fans responded to him because the filmmakers knew to show some restraint, something sorely lacking in the writing these days. It's one thing to develop a character and flesh them out but in this case it's actually been to Fett's detriment. The prequels also didn't help matters by making him the source of the clone army and imbuing him with more significance than he really needed. George made the same mistake with Maul. He created a cool looking henchman that he under utilized and killed off too soon, only to regret it when fans responded so positively to them.

Last edited:
He's always been more an implication of character than actual character. Not that it's a bad thing. His menace was suggested rather than outright stated and die hard Fett lovers know this, even if they'd never admit it out loud. He was a bit part in a larger story, only there as an antagonist to be defeated. A cool looking henchman whose real charisma came from his mystery.

Even in the 90s with all the comics and novels where they fleshed him out it still didn't exactly enhance his presence in the original films because it just wasn't necessary. Perhaps a fun aside to the main story, but not essential. Most of the EU by that point was an appetizer to whet the appetite for more Star Wars content rather than existing as a true addition to benefit the narrative so Fett's development wasn't singular in that regard.

Fans responded to him because the filmmakers knew to show some restraint, something sorely lacking in the writing these days. It's one thing to develop a character and flesh them out but in this case it's actually been to Fett's detriment. The prequels also didn't help matters by making him the source of the clone army and imbuing him with more significance than he really needed. George made the same mistake with Maul. He created a cool looking henchman that he under utilized and killed off too soon, only to regret it when fans responded so positively to them.
At one point in time he was Bigged up certainly here in the UK as the next SW Bad guy but alas yes him and Maul criminally under used..
Or was he....
The thing about SW was the ability to make even the background characters look cool.
Some in the Cantina not so but RB had limited funds and like two weeks to pull it together..

Last edited:
The thing is making someone look cool is not the same as actually writing a fleshed out character. We know this to be true in real life. Well dressed, beautiful people can often be devoid of personality. I mean if anything that ability to design stellar costumes is a testament to how damn well they're designed. It implies character without saying a word and it's one of the reasons I pursued a career in costume design. But the writer in me also understands the difference between those two truths.

Which is why I can acknowledge the overwhelming talent of those involved in the production of these shows and movies and equally criticize the writing of the scripts for not taking advantage of the potential to hone character when the story falls flat.

I think the writers have a tendency to over play their hand when they adopt the adage "costume is character" rather than put in the work necessary. That saying is true but it will only take a writer so far before they have to actually deliver.

The opposite is true for Fett. He's got a cool costume but his role was structured to be a supporting part, not a central one.

Last edited:
Well all I know is that every time Jabba is shown on screen, Fett is with him. Han is no good to Fett dead because his boss wants him alive. Lol!

The thing is making someone look cool is not the same as actually writing a fleshed out character. We know this to be true in real life. Well dressed, beautiful people can often be devoid of personality. I mean if anything that ability to design stellar costumes is a testament to how damn well they're designed. It implies character without saying a word and it's one of the reasons I pursued a career in costume design. But the writer in me also understands the difference between those two truths.

Which is why I can acknowledge the overwhelming talent of those involved in the production of these shows and movies and equally criticize the writing of the scripts for not taking advantage of the potential to hone character when the story falls flat.

I think the writers have a tendency to over play their hand when they adopt the adage "costume is character" rather than put in the work necessary. That saying is true but it will only take a writer so far before they have to actually deliver.

The opposite is true for Fett. He's got a cool costume but his role was structured to be a supporting part, not a central one.

Yeah, less is more with Fett. I couldn’t stand that he was in AOTC and the backstory George gave him.

Fett is just fine as a one-dimensional character. Making him any more than that, then the writers need to be more careful than they have been. With the right writers, I do think he could’ve been given more depth without ruining his mystique but that’s water under the bridge now!

Last edited:
It's a basic principle that writers/creators understand, and fans & studios stubbornly ignore. It's a lot easier to make something cool in short bursts than to sustain it.

Han Solo.

Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.

Darth Maul.

'The Terminator' future war & adult John Connor.

These things work a lot better as side dishes than they do as the main helping.

If it wasn't for Dr Who and the props department a good portion of iconic characters would not exist..
Bossoks flight suit
X Wing Flight suits
That Green flight suit guy in The Cantina
And more that I forget...
But you guys know that; ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back