The Book of Boba Fett

As I recall, the dent actually was cast from C-3PO’s dent in ANH
It was.

and added to cover a flaw
Not that I know of. After they scrapped the idea of a company of supercommandos (and turned them into Snowtroopers, later), they condensed the idea of the supercommandos chasing Our Heroes into a lone bounty hunter -- which had been Vader's original rôle in early drafts of Star Wars. Joe Johnston took one of the six white helmets that had already been made and did a quick deco -- added a gouge running along the left side of the crown, painted and weathered it, added the "eyes" above the brow band before changing his mind, painting over them, and redoing them as "ears" further up.

In truth, the most resemble the markings on a tabby's forehead:

70470248_10215539025577829_4296300990719590400_n.jpg

That was the one rolled out in the San Anselmo parade. Meanwhile, more concept art was rolling in. Someone added the helmet dent. So the remaining five helmets were all modified to have it. Joe took two and Sandy took three and each painted them up. Joe did his two more or less identically, while Sandy had more variation between hers. George picked one of Sandy's and that was going to be the helmet for Empire -- it was the one that went to Kenner and Don Post, and circulated on a publicity tour with the rest of what has usually been (inaccurately) called the Pre-Pro 2 suit... and they vanished. So another set was finished up in a hurry and one of Joe's helmets used instead. Why they didn't go with another of Sandy's I don't know. Then, when it came time to do Jedi, they did use one of Sandy's, had made new vambraces, and painted the rocketpack to match its original pre-Empire color scheme.

So no defect. Just part of making multiple options for the one character Boba had become condensed to.

That dent’s context with C-3PO would make more sense considering the thinner sheetmetal than thicker helmet grade beskar though.
Define "thicker helmet grade". My torso armor plates are 16-gauge stainless steel. Less than a sixteenth of an inch thick and hard enough to not notice a car backing over them. For the helmet, I'm going with 18-gauge. Thicker for the brow band/earcap base (10 or 11), thinner for the earcaps themselves (22 or so). If beskar is supposed to be stronger than this stuff, I don't see why it's have to be thicker than half a millimeter to be pretty damn tough.

Last edited:
Defined as something thicker than protocol droid sheetmetal! Point is, it would certainly dent differently than a beskar helmet. Certainly the thickness could be ascertained by the edge seen around the visor, whatever that may be. I have no clue off the top of my head but presumably thicker than C-3PO's noggin and definitely thicker than half a millimeter. As for the covering of a flaw, I always figured there was a chance it was just a story. Can't recall where I even read that. A lot of people prefer the ESB helmet but I've always been partial to Sandy's paintups. I just like the color palette better and the weathering was messier and more natural looking to my eye. My only painted Boba Fett helmet is a GMH done up as PP2. I'd love to have a RoTJ helmet done up one of these days. I've got a MCR helmet but I hate to paint over the preserved ESB details.

I always liked the painted "eyes" design of the PP1 helmet. I always thought it made the front of the helmet resemble a stylized reptilian face. The horizontal part of the visor being the mouth and the vertical part being a tongue. Nooo clue if that's what they were going for though!

Last edited:
It was.

Not that I know of. After they scrapped the idea of a company of supercommandos (and turned them into Snowtroopers, later), they condensed the idea of the supercommandos chasing Our Heroes into a lone bounty hunter -- which had been Vader's original rôle in early drafts of Star Wars. Joe Johnston took one of the six white helmets that had already been made and did a quick deco -- added a gouge running along the left side of the crown, painted and weathered it, added the "eyes" above the brow band before changing his mind, painting over them, and redoing them as "ears" further up.

View attachment 1539604

That was the one rolled out in the San Anselmo parade. Meanwhile, more concept art was rolling in. Someone added the helmet dent. So the remaining five helmets were all modified to have it. Joe took two and Sandy took three and each painted them up. Joe did his two more or less identically, while Sandy had more variation between hers. George picked one of Sandy's and that was going to be the helmet for Empire -- it was the one that went to Kenner and Don Post, and circulated on a publicity tour with the rest of what has usually been (inaccurately) called the Pre-Pro 2 suit... and they vanished. So another set was finished up in a hurry and one of Joe's helmets used instead. Why they didn't go with another of Sandy's I don't know. Then, when it came time to do Jedi, they did use one of Sandy's, had made new vambraces, and painted the rocketpack to match its original pre-Empire color scheme.

So no defect. Just part of making multiple options for the one character Boba had become condensed to.

Define "thicker helmet grade". My torso armor plates are 16-gauge stainless steel. Less than a sixteenth of an inch thick and hard enough to not notice a car backing over them. For the helmet, I'm going with 18-gauge. Thicker for the brow band/earcap base (10 or 11), thinner for the earcaps themselves (22 or so). If beskar is supposed to be stronger than this stuff, I don't see why it's have to be thicker than half a millimeter to be pretty damn tough.
aaaawwwwww

Hell, I'm trying to figure out what happened to this guy? He was bad ass. Destroyed Stormies with a hand weapon. Unloaded a serious case of butt whipping.

View attachment 1539510
He never left. He's unloaded a serious case of butt whipping on a sand monster, swoop gangs, and the Pykes. He's just trying his hand at being the crimes boss and not the hired gun for a change. Don't blame him.

It's messier than that. Technically speaking, that's not a dent, but a crater. When metal dents, it tends to have rounded edges down to the point of impact. Sharp edges like the put in five of the six helmets cast... that's where material was forcibly removed. Like active armor/CHOBAM. So I don't have a useful explanation, just vague notions. Regardless, if Captain America's shield can be broken, if the adamantium can be ripped off Wolverine's skeleton, if the One Ring can be unmade, then something can knock a crater into a beskar helmet -- and if something can do that to one, it can do it to two.

I mean, that was one of the many things about how AOTC treated it I had problems with, right up there with radically altering the cockpit area. All they needed to do was a clean(er) version of the one on the left. Instead, we got the one on the right...

View attachment 1539579
I'm probably alone in this thread when I say, I kinda dig Jango's Slave I....

It was.

View attachment 1539604

Your wealth of behind the scenes knowledge is always astounding, and wonderful! I love having the context behind all the stuff we love!

The Book of Gin Darlin’ Commentary: Ep. 5

We over did it tonight and had to take some breaks for “recovery” in the bathroom. LOL

She also couldn’t see from bed, so had to sit about 6 inches away from the TV the entire time.

Me: “Look, can you tell me who those characters are?”
Her: “Obviously Boba Fett, the biker girl, and I don’t know his big face.”

AA6DB134-A102-4422-90EB-F66AB51AA678.jpeg

“Is this Star Wars? You hit something else. This is a meat factory.”

“Oh MY Beskar is back. Look at that Beskar.”

“Who are those people?”
“Klatoonians.” (Same question as last week)
“Dog people.”

(The bounty target saying the puck hologram isn’t him)
“It’s obvious to me it’s him. Can he not tell it’s him? What an idiot.”

“He bit him like a dog. I told you. Dog people.”

“He hurt his own leg. Idiot.”

“The guy who runs past Mando to get the money? That’s me. The world doesn’t need bosses. They need…I don’t know. Not bosses.”

“Is his head in that bag?”

Me: “It’s like a Halo ring.”
“I played Halo once. Those ring…Wait, he isn’t limping with the right leg.”

“I can’t read the captions that fast.”

“He’s limping wrong. He needs my knee brace I wear sometimes.”

“He switched legs again. It’s left right left or something.”

Her: “What do those symbols mean?”
Me: “They’re directions to the covert.”
Her: “You can read that language? Why didn’t I know that?”

“The armor put some little feathers on her shoulders.”

“That’s the fat Mandalorian. We bought him at Walmart.”

“It switched legs again. I’m a nurse and I know it switched.”

“You can be fat, but that doesn’t make you powerful.”

“Don’t give the spear away. Don’t give my spear away. Why would he do that? It was pointy.”

“I don’t like how droids walk.”

“This is my least favorite episode so far, and that means you probably like it.”

(The Armorer making the chain mail links)
“Are those soda can tabs?”

(The little baby Yoda shaped bag on screen)
“It’s the Harry Potter thing. The zilch. The stilch. The stilt. What is? You know what it is.”

“So it’s getting heavier? Or is he getting weaker?”

Me: “Those are the star cruisers that are on Tatooine.”
Her: “Are they transporting prisoners or slaves?”
Me: “Civilians, just passengers.”
Her: “I thought so.”

(RX Droid from baggage claim)
“OH! Look, the guy, our guy from the thing.”

(R4 droid passes the camera on board the ship, this comment really impressed me)
“Oh look, an R4.”

“Kid Greedo is really ugly.”

(R5-D4 on screen, this reduce the impressing)
“Oh look, a R4 again.”
(We then paused and talked about droid designations for about 5 minutes, and all the sudden she started balling. I asked what was wrong, and she said she thought R5 was an R4 for the last 30 years, ever since she was a little kid.)

“Is that a pod racer?”

“This lady is like a hairy 80’s (female dog). She’s goofy. I bet you don’t like that.”

(Jawa dating portion)
“That’s really odd. She looks like a Jawa.”

“HA. He just said something like ‘blow a shaft.’”

“That little droid is really adorable, but just kind of helpful.”

Me: “That’s the piece from the Death Star trash compactor.”
Her (sarcastically): “A-WOW.”

“It’s like a chicken and a dinosaur. But they probably don’t know dinosaurs are chickens.”

“When they turn it on, he better not put his tongue in the purple energy because it will go numb, like this, ‘my tongue, my tongue.’”

“Most people won’t say this, but some women are dumb, and some know about engines, and I only know about engines, but that’s really something.”

“That’s the same picture. The pod race was there.”

Her: “He’s flying pretty good to be drunk.”
Me: “You’re the drunk one.”
Her: “Oh yeah.”

“Baby Greedo is just so ugly.”

“Is that X-Wing pilot Justin Long?”

“Oh! Oh! It’s the guy. The pilot with the beard! He’s in the originals. Or something. I know he’s in something else.”

“Wizard. Hahahaha…Wizard.”

“Fennec Shand is hot. I bet you’d be like, ‘hey, come to my hangar.’”

As soon as the credits role, she brings up the R4/R5 stuff again. I showed her pics of R1 though R9, and then she says in ANH, Luke says “Uncle Owen, R4 has a bad motivator.” I tell her he actually erroneously calls R5-D4 a R2 unit, and she cries again. I asked what was wrong and she goes “we were both WRONG!” I asked how was I wrong, and she replies “NO. BOTH. OF. US. Me AND Luke.” LOL

We watched the Jawa Sale scene from ANH, and she told me several times that the R1 droid was beautiful. She also called Uncle Owen every name in the book, and said Aunt Beru has a “gigantic small happy heart.”

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back