The Book of Boba Fett

Everyone complaining about the scooter kids on Tatooine need to look into emo/cybergoth/punk kids that live in Iowa/Kansas/etc. Kids find influences and ways to emulate them no matter where they are, even if their aesthetic doesn’t fit their locale. This show is failing to characterize Boba Fett, and it feels like people are too distracted by the scooter kids.

The truth is, we all probably would have written this out a lot differently because every single one of us , including myself, feel much better when we can sit back and play monday morning QB and critique what is and swap it out for our own grandiosity. I'm guilty. The Tragedy by Rodriguez showed a very cool Boba. I heard barely any complaints about it. Sure...i didn't like the forgetting the jetpack thing...so what. As far as Boba was concerned, it was awesome. Now all of a sudden we are plugging Rodriguez into a mathematical equation that equates him with failure? Sorry, but that is a stretch and it's " not seeing the good" that he's done. TBOBF ep1 and 3 were not as good as 2...most of us agree. But most everyone was flying high after 2. Now we are ready to throw in the towel? How can we dare point our finger at a director as being incompetent, over his head and a failure if we as fans, can't go three episodes without wanting a divorce? My goodness!!! Especially, when he didn't write the darn thing. Btw, inside I'm trying to stay patient as much as you. It's not that i disagree with the whats wrong part. We have stuck with FAVREAU this whole time...He is the writer, not Rodriguez. Favreau has done wonderful episodes for Star Wars and has PROVEN he knows what he's doing. We aren't going to love everything, i agree. I'm not trying to convince you to agree with me, but to let it play out...it can't hurt. Let's give these guys a chance to finish the race and be thankful for what they've brought to us as fans. The same guy who brought us the OT, which i love, brought us the PT, which i do not. I'm not gonna say Lucas is terrible when if he didn't bring us something, we would have nothing to complain about at all. I Love Mando but it has it's flaws and because he is new to us, we gave the show a lot of grace. Because we know of Boba already we are more critical...just our nature as humans. To give this a chance goes beyond our natural rationale..I'll give you that, but I'm not going to suggest something to you that I'm not willing to try myself. Like in a relationship, the way we approach adversity determines if we will burn a bridge or build one. Im willing to say i could be 100% wrong. Im just willing to error on the side of patience. It's a very hard thing to do...lol, especially for a very impatient person like me. If 4 is terrible, I won't post another word on this thread but an admission and/ or apology for wasting your time and given foolish advice and propagating false expectations.
Well, I actually personally disliked Rodriguez’s episode of the Mandalorian a lot back then, too. I also am becoming increasingly weary of being in what practically amounts to an abusive relationship with Star Wars. For every fifteen seconds I personally get that ticks my boxes of what good Star Wars content can be, it seems like I’m forced to sit through thirty minutes of everything I don’t like about any media, let alone Star Wars. As big a fan as I am of the OT, I’m a bigger fan of storytelling, filmmaking, and good content, so I won’t defend a director to my dying breath for doing a lackluster job just because I hope “this time he’s changed!” I like Favreau, but I don’t think every decision he’s made has been great. I don’t like Filoni, but I won’t get into that because he’s the new golden child of the fandom and people really hate criticism directed at him. So far, few things I liked from S1 of Mando made it to S2. A lot of things I was worried about had a greater presence. And now, even less, practically nothing, of what I thought worked in Mando has made it into TBOBF, and everything I disliked has multiplied. I know a lot of people like to throw around the old “Star Wars is for kids”, but man, these shows are starting to feel just like the cartoons. Aimed at an increasingly young and niche audience. I mean, talk about gatekeeping. Favreau, Filoni, Rodriguez, they’re all cutting out huge portions of the general audience—including a significant number that grew up with the OT—in order to cater to those who read the comics and followed the cartoons and collected obscure action figures. One little callback isn’t an issue, but when the storytelling really isn’t that good, and it’s loaded with stuff “you’re supposed to know already”, people get turned off. I’m sure that people like that, like my older brother who is so disappointed in this series he is considering burning the Fett helmet he made from scratch, will be called “not real fans”, though, because he’s never seen a single episode of TCW in his life, and couldn’t tell you who that Wookie was supposed to be.

Separate gripe: I am tired of these 35 minute long, seven to eight episode seasons, stretched out over two months. Remember when you got like sixteen to twenty episodes of a television show per season, and each one had a consistent length? The eight episode season really only works in my opinion with something like Stranger Things, where the episodes are longer, and you can watch them all at once (and they’re also more substantial in the story they tell). This isn’t a Star Wars problem, either, this is a Disney+ problem. They know they have us where they want us—they can do whatever they want and get away with it.

I'm less critical of the length and number of episodes frankly. If it's only ever going to be on a steamer, it's more or less irrelevant. We've all grown up where episodic television was relegated for the most part to the big 3, 4 networks. If you go back, there were more episodes per season in the 70's and 80's and even 90's than today. Even that, there are things there now down to 12 - 13 episodes a season (probably so they can fill more things in with the garbage known as 'reality' shows (there's not an eyeroll emoji big enough)). Not only have those season lengths shrunk over the years, so too has the run time. Even in the 80's, you were around 24 minutes of run time per 30 minutes. 70's and 60' were longer. Now? it's down to 20-21 minutes per 30 minutes.

I'm a firm believer in it takes as long as it takes to tell the story. If E3 needs to be 38 minutes...fine. If E4 need to be 71, great. That length should be irrelevant on a streamer. Trying to pack it in to a certain length should only matter if it has to be sandwiched in to a network timeslot.

0CB36D23-76D1-4228-93FB-632B50FC8C55.jpeg

Not too surprising. My wife and I went to Paramount Studios recently and saw the Blue Sky Tank.
2372C17E-7614-44B5-AAC6-BCCA283A9CEB.jpeg

They filmed water scenes from Patriot Games, Star Trek and The Ten Commandments there. The parting of The Red Sea scene was done by filming the tank filling up with water and then cutting each frame and splicing them back together backwards one by one- tedious but genius. And yes, we have reached that transitional time of the week where we discuss random things.

Well, I actually personally disliked Rodriguez’s episode of the Mandalorian a lot back then, too. I also am becoming increasingly weary of being in what practically amounts to an abusive relationship with Star Wars. For every fifteen seconds I personally get that ticks my boxes of what good Star Wars content can be, it seems like I’m forced to sit through thirty minutes of everything I don’t like about any media, let alone Star Wars. As big a fan as I am of the OT, I’m a bigger fan of storytelling, filmmaking, and good content, so I won’t defend a director to my dying breath for doing a lackluster job just because I hope “this time he’s changed!” I like Favreau, but I don’t think every decision he’s made has been great. I don’t like Filoni, but I won’t get into that because he’s the new golden child of the fandom and people really hate criticism directed at him. So far, few things I liked from S1 of Mando made it to S2. A lot of things I was worried about had a greater presence. And now, even less, practically nothing, of what I thought worked in Mando has made it into TBOBF, and everything I disliked has multiplied. I know a lot of people like to throw around the old “Star Wars is for kids”, but man, these shows are starting to feel just like the cartoons. Aimed at an increasingly young and niche audience. I mean, talk about gatekeeping. Favreau, Filoni, Rodriguez, they’re all cutting out huge portions of the general audience—including a significant number that grew up with the OT—in order to cater to those who read the comics and followed the cartoons and collected obscure action figures. One little callback isn’t an issue, but when the storytelling really isn’t that good, and it’s loaded with stuff “you’re supposed to know already”, people get turned off. I’m sure that people like that, like my older brother who is so disappointed in this series he is considering burning the Fett helmet he made from scratch, will be called “not real fans”, though, because he’s never seen a single episode of TCW in his life, and couldn’t tell you who that Wookie was supposed to be.

Separate gripe: I am tired of these 35 minute long, seven to eight episode seasons, stretched out over two months. Remember when you got like sixteen to twenty episodes of a television show per season, and each one had a consistent length? The eight episode season really only works in my opinion with something like Stranger Things, where the episodes are longer, and you can watch them all at once (and they’re also more substantial in the story they tell). This isn’t a Star Wars problem, either, this is a Disney+ problem. They know they have us where they want us—they can do whatever they want and get away with it.
You and i are a lot alike. I prefer great story telling just as you do. I'm tired of Legacy characters getting ruined. I enjoy Stranger Things and i agree 100%on the episodes length and yes...I was one of those accused of not being a real fan of Star Wars after i trashed TLJ and Ryan Johnson. I hope you don't think that's what i'm doing to you. Because behind this posts that i write, i'm just as flipping mad as you...i'm disgusted but i don't know that Rodriguez is the one to own the fault like Ryan Johnson clearly was in TLJ. I'm tired of being let down just as much as anyone but i ALMOST never gave Mandalorian a chance because of my disgust with the sequel trilogy. I'm glad i did. TBOBF is not going as i would like either but i'm seeing some things in the dialogue that has kept me positive. I agree with you about the Disney issue because that is my main point. Ultimately, it's not Rodriguez that's calling the shots here, nor even Favreau...They have parameters where Lucas didn't. Whose fault is that? George Lucas...he sold it all away. But i can't be mad at him for that because ..look what he gave us. You absolutely have the right to be upset, that's a given and i am too. I just want to let it all play out. You ARE a REAL fan...always. I'm an OT guy through thick and thin like you. Trust me, i said from the beginning of this that I WANT BOBA TO BE (STAY)DEAD IN THE SARLACC. If they screw this up royally they are kissing the OBi-wan series goodbye for a lot of people and i also said that the fans ultimately will have the say on great storytelling and i believe that. You are passionate and that is a GOOD thing. Whether we agree or not is besides the point. As long as fans are passionate it SHOULD get better. I'm just not ready to give up just yet.

I know i've been just linking SWE a lot recently, but he just keeps pumping out these great, respectful & informative videos regarding BOBF. Here's his latest regarding his thoughts on fan service that I 100% agree with:

I can’t wait for drunk history of BOBF vol 2 this week
Oh, and Jodo, if you could plan to make a beer/ liquor run, that would be great. I’m NOT encouraging your girlfriend drink excessively, but I do expect some level of entertainment. Thank you very much.
I let her read these comments and she said the bar has been set so high, she hopes she can deliver.

So wine it is!

Everyone complaining about the scooter kids on Tatooine need to look into emo/cybergoth/punk kids that live in Iowa/Kansas/etc. Kids find influences and ways to emulate them no matter where they are, even if their aesthetic doesn’t fit their locale. This show is failing to characterize Boba Fett, and it feels like people are too distracted by the scooter kids.
Well it isn't so much "that could never happen" as much as it is "it's stupid, poorly executed and not what I go to Star Wars to see".

I let her read these comments and she said the bar has been set so high, she hopes she can deliver.

So wine it is!
Ah, yes, high bar- from the group posting scooter memes all week. I think she’ll be fine!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back