The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread

I think half the trouble with a SA costume here is a lot of The Dude's clothes were from Jeff Bridges' own wardrobe
It really is, because at the time of filming a lot of those clothes were already 10-30 years old. Trying to source anything in 2021 is just gonna be a lot of close enough, reproductions or very expensive original off eBay.

But hey, the dude abides....

As promised: The files to print your own checkbooks. They will fit a standard US checkbook cover. Preferably a very cheap red plastic one :cool:

There's some extra space in the top part of the check so you can fit the tear-off strip :)
HEY wondering if you could do a Folger's Can art file. thinking of printing it and using. paint can with bail so its easier to carry at the Cons

Hey gang.

I'm starting to get stuff put together for Emerald City ComiCon (ECCC), coming up in 3 months. I've been having bad luck tracking down a retro Folgers can for a cheap price (and cheaper s/h charges!) On a whim, I decided a few weeks ago to design and print up my own label. In the end, I took an empty Swiss Miss hot chocolate can and worked off of its dimensions. I could barely find decent reference photos, let alone any pre-made lookalike labels. Finding pieces of actual artwork to use for the label was a headache, as was a lot of the tweaking and recoloring I had to do by hand (i'm good with Photoshop but no professional!)

Original can from the movie:
View attachment 421269View attachment 421276

Front & Back of my prop (with Dude Pop! figure for scale):
View attachment 421270View attachment 421271

I still need to get some better quality paper (and fix my print colors), but for a stand-in prop I loved the way it turned out. I had an inspirational idea to cover the paper seam with a folded piece of foil to look like a coffee can's metal sealing seam. I might try to tape some plastic of some sort over the label to 1) give it that shiny "metallic" look, and 2) give it a layer of protection from dirty hands, rain, etc.
DUDE I WANT THIS FILE!

DUDE I WANT THIS FILE!
Not sure if this will work (or if it's allowed by admins) but here you go. I'm including the reference photos and some of the image elements, along with the various PSD files from my progress on it. you really only need "label 4.psd" but ehh.... have them all.

Attachments

• Folgers Can.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 153
Just because we're bereaved doesn't make us saps! So if you're a loser, a deadbeat, or somebody the square community won't give a sh!t about and after a trip to Ralph's to buy a modestly-priced receptacle you're struggling when it comes to obtaining the elusive "blue lid", then c'mon...Man, I'm not trying to scam anybody here. New sh!t has come to light! So I sold both of my holy grail Folgers cans a couple of years ago on Ebay, along with bags of tree ash to simulate the ashes of our Sweet Prince. But those cans both had the coveted blue lids. I wanted to have another holy grail can with a blue lid. So I recently purchased the correct can on Ebay, but found it impossible to source the blue lid. The closest I found was buying in bulk special order from Alibaba, which wasn't feasible and I wasn't willing to do that. So I checked Maxwell House coffee and found what I thought was the correct size on Amazon. It was an $8 gamble and last time I checked I had four bucks - almost five. So I stumbled over to the grocery store and wrote out a whale check for three bucks cash and ordered the Maxwell House coffee. Once it arrived, I was disappointed to discover that the lid was too big. But then it hit me like an acid flashback: SHRINKY DINKS!!! I went to the john, grabbed a hair dryer, and slowly heated up both sides of the lid in a constant circular motion and then allowed it to slowly cool. It was getting smaller in diameter! I repeated the process and was careful to check my progress. Then I repeated the same thing the next day and once again on the 3rd day. I was amazed that the lid no longer fit the Maxwell House can and it fit the Folgers can perfect! This achiever achieved another holy grail can achievement! (See images for correct Maxwell House can size. Right now they're only six bucks!) DO NOT HEAT LID ALL THE WAY UP TO THE POINT THAT IT FITS! STOP A GOOD BIT *BEFORE* IT FITS AND WAIT A FEW DAYS! IT WILL CONTINUE TO SHRINK SLIGHTLY! Otherwise, it might end up too small in diameter and then it will split when you lodge it against the abutment of the can. There's your promising, uhhhh, lead.
MH Amazon.jpg

20210926_155208.jpg

20210926_155248.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking shades!!

I think the color is up for debate. Some say tortoise shell, some say brown, some say brown with possibly black paint?

I just went for brown and got this pair. I like them a lot. They're a darker brown at the top and fade into a lighter brown towards the bottom. They also have some great lenses that I'm guessing are polarized and possibly the Skilynx version? They give everything a yellow tint but the lenses have an almost blue reflection from the back. They're amazing to drive with especially where I currently live with lots of glare from the snow.

View attachment 992841

View attachment 992842
If you're still around, where did you happen to get these glasses from?... Thanks!

If you're still around, where did you happen to get these glasses from?... Thanks!
Ebay! At the time, I acquired them for around $90.... a quick glance at the Bay now shows the prices to be ridiculous. For the prices I'm seeing now, might as well buy them new from Vuarnet.

Sadly, I was running across the street while they were hanging on my shirt and they slipped and cracked on the pavement. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.

Ebay! At the time, I acquired them for around $90.... a quick glance at the Bay now shows the prices to be ridiculous. For the prices I'm seeing now, might as well buy them new from Vuarnet.

Sadly, I was running across the street while they were hanging on my shirt and they slipped and cracked on the pavement. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.
Thanks! I figured you got them from the Bay which is a crapshoot at best. I have located some 003 that are black frames that may work, it's hard to find anything that is brown and screen accurate. Even the newly released ones don't appear to be accurate as well.

I did some extensive screen grabs last night and compared them to the screen used Pic I found in here and the actual screen used color is gonna be near impossible to dial in. Looks almost tortoise with the brown/black mix, could be black paint added later, who knows exactly. It's like trying to dial in the color of Michael Myers vintage Big Mac coveralls from Halloween 1978.

I'm a stickler for accuracy but I may just have to bite the bullet and settle on some cheap pairs I've seen on Amazon that are pretty close. But I don't know if my conscious will allow it lol!

Thanks! I figured you got them from the Bay which is a crapshoot at best. I have located some 003 that are black frames that may work, it's hard to find anything that is brown and screen accurate. Even the newly released ones don't appear to be accurate as well.

I did some extensive screen grabs last night and compared them to the screen used Pic I found in here and the actual screen used color is gonna be near impossible to dial in. Looks almost tortoise with the brown/black mix, could be black paint added later, who knows exactly. It's like trying to dial in the color of Michael Myers vintage Big Mac coveralls from Halloween 1978.

I'm a stickler for accuracy but I may just have to bite the bullet and settle on some cheap pairs I've seen on Amazon that are pretty close. But I don't know if my conscious will allow it lol!
yeah, the ones I had were a medium brown, I was really bummed to have them break.

Honestly, trying to match gear from a movie that's over 20 years old with so many of the costume pieces even years older I'm fine with close enough at this point. Right now I'm sporting some ray ban close enough mostly because I got them 50% off. I might come back around to Vuarnet's one day if the price point comes down.

I'm planning on sharing all of it in one big post once everything is done :)
Hi Buch, did you ever get to finishing this one? I’m recreating the Ralph’s outfit for a fancy dress event soon and was wondering if you had a decent version of the carton graphics you’d be kind enough to share?

Curious if anyone has a pair of original OTOMIX Lite White Martial Art Shoes in size 9.5 for sale? I know it's a stretch this late in the game but just checking here to see if anyone would be willing to part with their pair... Thanks!

*** ALL SOLD***

If anyone is interested I just listed 3 vintage Folgers cans with blue lids on eBay. I bought a lot of 4 of these cans and I kept the best one for myself and restored the other 3.

They have been cleaned, rust removed and sealed with a crystal clear enamel so they should last for a long time and not rust again. Can 3 was the worst of the lot and had severe rust and the metal had degraded and pitted along the bottom and inside the can. It still restored nicely but due to the cleaning process it has more of a gunmetal color now than the silvery shine as the first two do.

Can 1 - Big Lebowski Holy Grail Urn Vintage Folgers Can Tin For All Coffee Makers 39 Oz | eBay

Can 2 - Big Lebowski Holy Grail Urn Vintage Folgers Can Tin For All Coffee Makers 39 Oz | eBay

Can 3 - Big Lebowski Holy Grail Urn Vintage Folgers Can Tin For All Coffee Makers 39 Oz | eBay

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back