The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

I 'm going nutz trying to find a pair of vintage weightlifting pants even close to the dude's....

Yeah, they're one of the things that's really tough to get even close, maybe try expanding your search to include "striped pajama pants" I finally settled on some pants I found using that search.

Okay, I was hoping to pick up a few things to add to my Dude display. SO I started screen capping.
The Dudes coffee table.
-Right away you notice a Magic 8-Ball, easiest prop find ever!!!
-The next thing I see is the green Japanese Cook book. This is "Japanese Cooking" by Gail Weinshel Katz, hard cover and published in 1978. Pretty easy to find on feebay usually.
-Next is the bowling book at the top. That is the "PBA Guide to Better Bowling" by Chuck Pezzano (Professional Bowlers Association) Originally published in 1974. The one here is at least the 1983 revised edition. The original doesn't have the 4 blue stripes on the right side or the red writing above the title. The earliest issue I could find with that was the 1983.
-There's also a bowling magazine just visible under the Japanese Cooking Book. I can't make out any details other than the logo which is from the Bowlers Journal. It's more than likely an early 90's issue as I've been talking with the publisher. Luckily they had one back issue from the late 90's that still had the same logo and I managed to convince them that it needed a new home! I'll show pics when it arrives.

More to come, but for now here's the stuff I've picked up. Other than the magazine which has been impossible to find the other stuff seems pretty easy to find and cheap too!
[

Wow, those are some great finds! I just added those books to my saved searches on ebay, for when I'm more financially stable. And the gutterballs shoes look great!

Another note, the Dude's walkman, anyone able to nail down a specific model or name for this one? Every once in a while I'll go on ebay and scour through the walkmans they have, but so far I've come up dry.

biglebowski112.jpg

Edit: I amanaged to answer my own question with some research.

It's Model number is: SONY WM-BF22

2012_0813SonyWM-BF220003.JPG

2012_0813SonyWM-BF220005.JPG

Now we have a search term for ebay!

Last edited:
Great find! My ebay searches and google-fu failed me utterly on that walkman!

I actually picked up an af-22 which isthe black version, and I was going to paint the case white and use a vinyl cutter to do the top graphics.

Man, I ran across this thread a day late and a dollar short, but still had to register just so I could get the experts opinions on my Lebowski look.

12BE3A59-36AA-4F92-82D3-668437DF3506-224-000000BEE095EE45.jpg

My friends kept telling me I looked like 'The Dude', so I decided it would be a no brainer for Halloween this year. Think I fit the bill?

Excellent look Haywire! Nicely done. AAnd thanks for the link to those pants. I picked up a different pair of the Life is Good pants that had the look sort of, but these are much closer.

Oh and some more prop info
Book in the Dudes bedroom... a little light reading??? Oh no, this thing is painful to read. Interesting but painful.
Bedroom_zps9bca1d1c.jpg

Here's my copy, the only thing I can tell that is different is the pages for the correct one have red edges, but this is the only one I could find so it'll have to do.
Dude04-1.jpg

Hey everyone, first post here...

I've been lurking around here for a while now and can't seem to find a Walter Sobchak thread, so until I do, I guess I'll post up here!

Back in 05, I wanted to put together a costume I could get some longevity out of, and fit my large frame, so Walter sounded like the best way to go. It also helps being a huge Big Lebowski fan;) I put together the Walter from the final scattering the ashes scene, as shown here:

donnys-ashes.jpg

Here's what I have so far:

Hunting vest (not quite right pocket-wise, but I modified the width/length to at least hang right)
Drab green shorts
Camel color canvas belt
Jungle issue vietnam era combat boots, Army surplus
Black socks
Black polo shirt (I'm still searching for one with longer button opening in front, and a thinner material)
Dogtag (with walter sobchak on it, and of course, Catholic as his religion;)
Wedding band (funny enough, I got this at a street fair that was right in front of the lot where the bowling alley used to be, RIP)
Remington shooting glasses w/ ear hooks (though apparently, these aren't the right ones)
Black G Force watch
Brown do-rag (this is from the bowling scene after they get back from flubbing the hand off. I have to do this as I don't have enough hair up top to do a proper flat top, haha)
Donny, AKA a Folgers can (not the screenprint one, unfortunately)

And pictures!

This is my obligatory pic with Jeff Dowd, the inspiration for The Dude.

walteranddowd.JPG

This is at LebowskiFest at the Knitting Factory in LA years back, where I met this dude who I thought came dressed as a Dude. Turns out, after talking to him, he lived down the street in a small rental apt. and was unemployed, so he moseyed down to see what was going on. Someone gave him the glasses for the night, but man... talk about a real Dude. hah

walterandrealdude.JPG

And finally, this is at a sports bar in my area that does a Halloween Contest every year. I was one of 10 finalists (9 others were scantily clad women) and when the cheering vote came to me, the place blew up. I won a costume contest, against 9 women, in a sports bar. +1 for Big Lebowski. hah

waltercontest.JPG

can someone give me a accurate colour for the 3 colours of the Dudes Cardigan.

cream/beige , light brown, dark brown?

ive seen some with a red colour used in-placed for the main pattern details, which is it? :confused

can someone give me a accurate colour for the 3 colours of the Dudes Cardigan.

cream/beige , light brown, dark brown?
Those are the correct colors for Dude's sweater--light tan overall, with medium and dark browns for the patterns. Pendleton offered these sweaters with the same pattern in different colors when they were still making them; I've seen at least four variations myself.

Hello all!

I’m looking for some help/guidance on putting together a dude costume for a 90’s themed Halloween party I’m going to in a couple of weeks’ time, the specific look I’m going for is the bathrobe outfit from the opening scenes. I have a pair of checked green golfing shorts that are a reasonable enough approximation of the what the dude wears and I found a cheap pair of brown sandals in a discount shoe store that will do the job just fine. The big sticking point is the robe itself. I know from the info on here that it was a Perry Ellis robe but they would appear to be as rare as hen’s teeth (the link that someone posted earlier won’t deliver to the UK where I am :cry).

I’ve found a couple of options on the website below but I’m just not entirely sure which colour would be the best to go for. I’ve narrowed it down (I think) to either the ‘string’ or ‘chocolate’ colours:

Bathrobe with Shawl Collar 350 g/m², Homeware - La Redoute

String:
5X_17001_0160_1700101600009.jpg

Chocolate:
5X_17001_0160_1700101600039.jpg

The actual robe worn in the film:
lot62914.jpg

And yes before anyone mentions it I am aware that the robes I’m looking at are technically for women but I think for one evening I can live with it, plus it means my g/f will get a present once I’m done so it’s win-win! They do also have another option which is a ‘kimono style’ as opposed to the shawl collar one I’ve shown here, which comes in the same colours. The thing with the kimono one is that it would have at least some of the ‘ribbed’ styling of the original robe along the collar & cuffs, but I’m not sure if it would be too thin compared to the shawl option?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,

New to the forum and the thread and looking for all things Dude.

I already have the Sony walkman on its way from Germany.

I'm looking for a Pendelton sweater, weightlifting pants, Otomix kicks and sunglasses.

Any help would be appreciated. If anyone knows where to find any of these items or are interested in selling them if you've got em, please feel free to send a PM.

Let me know. Thanks!

Greetings all, here's a shot of me so far. The only thing I don't have are the Otomix 100 shoes. I did find them in Italy but they asking way too much. (Here's a link if interested. Otomix ) I want to thank everyone for the valuable leads on the various details of the Dude's look. This site is a wealth of information, have a great Halloween.

sqqhxg.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone, first post here...

And finally, this is at a sports bar in my area that does a Halloween Contest every year. I was one of 10 finalists (9 others were scantily clad women) and when the cheering vote came to me, the place blew up. I won a costume contest, against 9 women, in a sports bar. +1 for Big Lebowski. hah

waltercontest.JPG

Best first post ever man! awesome work, both with the costume, your research, your documentation and most of all for winning that costume!! Spectacular!!!

Please post your pics in the Cosplay showcase subforum!

Any leads on the Dudes hoodie? What color would you even call that? Seems like a simple thing to find, but haven't had any luck so far.

Joeyjojo... I couldn't find any hoodie even close. So I picked up a white one and used some Taupe RIT dye with just a touch of green added. It worked well enough for me. Got the hoodie for right around $10 from walmart online. I think it was 23 cents to ship it.

Any leads on the Dudes hoodie? What color would you even call that? Seems like a simple thing to find, but haven't had any luck so far.
On-screen it looks like a faded green because the Dude's clothes were meant to look old and well worn. Without the bright stage lighting, it's a darker shade of green. Apart from the color, the hard part is finding one that doesn't have white fleece on the inside (the Dude's sweatshirt is all the same color) and doesn't have the manufacturer's logo printed or embroidered on it anywhere.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back