The Babadook pop up book

I don't think anyone has sold one in this thread tbh, as they were still available to preorder, which I provided the link to anyone looking for one :D

But anyway, missed this update email as I was in Cuba for a few weeks, so thanks to the poster. Well.... The project is getting there!

NQXJBODhNhHrXzKEcgS2ROOhgAH4i194pjWqYri-9sZoac2UmOuZyXbwqTgBZ4cLVTqk0GCfJo94Zs7p20uVpCDkVA_2rnO3hyoUJ8E3RRaZ6JcWBhXFi3-SFvE5ha7fzGopaUiuuhAm5KEjsfTHr1ZkXFTC4RIPAgaADe8=s0-d-e1-ft

Hi everyone,Here's our May update from Babadook director Jennifer Kent.
Dear Babadook book buyers,

I want to offer my sincere apologies for not sending an April update. We had to wait till our printers could get back to us with some proper timelines. No point in putting out an update without an update. I’m really sorry about that.

We’ve had a good talk with Insight Editions, our publishers and they are completely committed to getting this book out asap and to the highest standard. They and their printers appreciate you (and we) have been waiting a long time now and want to get it finished promptly.

For those of you who aren’t aware, Insight Editions are a top publisher of pop up and collectible books. They are responsible for pop up books for the likes of Harry Potter, The Walking Dead, and some lesser known series with dragons in it called Game of Thrones (amongst many others). Here is the link to their website, so you can have a look if you haven’t already.

https://insighteditions.com
iKsC_zrZ0n4hd4iLGm900l96R6vTk2wytpEM-IXZovgZygFEnrt2q5nDeyfc-FtSvxk1D5fGjD9HHBanExBU49UI0aPJsLAeUsKSq0KG20U9iN9jFdstNkN49LWg-waUEQO0ny_k3bOxRyswe611lwciPgdi1iFROh0b37Q=s0-d-e1-ft
And here’s the latest on the timeline.

• On 12th May our printers will be sending us the last 5 amended pages and a case sample, which is the fabric hardback cover (to check for colour, title embossing etc.) We’ll receive these around the 16th May.

• IF we approve this final part of the design (and I do say IF) a verification sample of the entire book will be constructed. This is a copy of the book as you will receive it, so we can check everything is looking beautiful and working correctly. These should be constructed in the last half of May and delivered to us around end of May/early June.

• Once we have given approvals on this verification sample, we can go to print straight after, in June.

• Please keep in mind if there are any hiccups to this process (i.e. some part of the book is not up to standard or not correct) then the timeline will be delayed, but otherwise we’re looking at going to print in June.

• Also keep in mind, there are several thousand books to print and glue. While the design is relatively simple compared to some pop up books out there, there are a huge number of gluing points, many more than a normal pop up book. This is due to the handmade quality of the book which has a focus on old style techniques, rather than creating a design that is all about one or two gluing points (yes, that’s right, we like to do things the hard way.) So printing will not take a week, it will take some time for people to glue all those thousands of books together. (More updates on the printing schedule when we get to that stage. It’s only at that point that the printers can give us a more precise timeline.) At the end of the day you want a book that looks like the one in the film, so this is why we’ve stubbornly stuck to our original Babadookian methods.
RP3KOQ9krgXO3fnc9VazSjAvCan_0TIzj6u-FpkC8zr5Q9uXA6ZglY_HQEU3uAxFXJUCFOBHDMhsANZcutyhJCK2CiZMMqrhvf4zQglB8Rp56tFGKjKRC6x__EP7vFve6YquKytYD-ODOFbBkyvteWOxVTYeqJgvfztVA1k=s0-d-e1-ft

Thanks again for being the most patient book buyers in the world. We are eternally grateful for your support and you will be rewarded with that collector’s item Mister Babadook book as soon as is physically possible.

Warm regards,

Jen

I ordered one right when they went on sale. Honestly, getting rather sick of waiting at this point. It's beyond anticipation now and more into aggravation. :/

To be honest, I am not sure whey they have problems to make the folds? I mean if someone made a perfect one for the movie, it shouldn't be complicated to get the template from the guys behind the book?

I'm close to actually cancelling my three books to be honest. When it was announced and went live… only 2000 books were meant to be made, numbered, and signed, so I pulled the trigger… now the figure is like 7800…. all signed, but only the first 2000 are numbered. Oh wait… I missed the deadline to cancel …. balls. BALLS. balls :(

So my fiancee and I loved the film when it came out, and we ordered the book right away. But in the last year of delays part of me has started to feel like this is just a surprisingly effective vapourware campaign. Not saying it is, I'm sure she'll follow through. but still, starting to feel a bit played. And yeah, we signed up when there were only gonna be 2000 as well. Oh well, live and learn, it's still a cool prop. if it ever shows up.

You people are so impatient!:p

The prop for the film only had a few working pages to be shown and the full book will be an expanded version of the film prop to be more of a "story" prop. On top of that, each of these 7000 plus books have to be made by hand to exacting specifications for the book to work in the end, not just for the stuff seen in the film but the rest of the stuff that completes the book. They lady is honest enough to send out updates on how the book is coming out and show how it's coming along. It's not like anyone laid a deposit on some mystery item based solely on one finished "promo" image and then have no updates and no communique from the people working on the stuff. They've not scarpered off with anything; people on the newsletter are being shown whats being done with it!

If anything, these updates should be reinforcing excitement for the final book because of the detail and dedication to getting the thing perfect put in by the people involved. If it takes three years to develop something that works in the end, I'm all for it. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but when it comes to having something, I'd rather wait the time of getting something right than get something that took no time and shoddy because of it.

You people are so impatient!:p

The prop for the film only had a few working pages to be shown and the full book will be an expanded version of the film prop to be more of a "story" prop. On top of that, each of these 7000 plus books have to be made by hand to exacting specifications for the book to work in the end, not just for the stuff seen in the film but the rest of the stuff that completes the book. They lady is honest enough to send out updates on how the book is coming out and show how it's coming along. It's not like anyone laid a deposit on some mystery item based solely on one finished "promo" image and then have no updates and no communique from the people working on the stuff. They've not scarpered off with anything; people on the newsletter are being shown whats being done with it!

If anything, these updates should be reinforcing excitement for the final book because of the detail and dedication to getting the thing perfect put in by the people involved. If it takes three years to develop something that works in the end, I'm all for it. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but when it comes to having something, I'd rather wait the time of getting something right than get something that took no time and shoddy because of it.

I'm pushing 2 years waiting here...anticipation kinda got killed off when I forgot I even ordered the thing.

Did anyone see (or save) the pic that was posted on the twitter account? Link doesn't work anymore.

User Actions
Following

0PFwB0n3_bigger.jpg
The Babadook‏@TheBabadook
GOOD NEWS FOR BOOK BUYERS.We have seen the final book prototype and it is looking mighty fine!We will have a... http://fb.me/1a41Lzs7P

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pushing 2 years waiting here...anticipation kinda got killed off when I forgot I even ordered the thing.

Watch the film again and I bet you will be excited that you did order it. Usually watching a film can be the spark you need to get you excited about the film and prop ;)

From the Facebook page:

GOOD NEWS FOR BOOK BUYERS.

We have seen the final book prototype and it is looking mighty fine!
We will have a detailed printing timeline to you in a buyers update within the week.

image.jpeg

Yesterday they posted this comment:

"We'll be sending out our update in the next few days.
And yes, we have specifics about delivery! It's looking beautiful."

Here's the latest update from director Jennifer Kent:

Shipping begins in AUGUST!!! :D

Dear Babadook book buyers, hello!

The final Babadook book prototype has come in and I have to say, it looks superb. The black and white illustrations are wonderful, the mechanisms are working well, the red fabric cover, the thick high quality paper… it’s a thing of beauty overall. Illustrator Alex Juhasz, paper engineer Simon Arizpe, and myself are all very happy with the tweaks and feel proud of this final product. It has been worth the extra effort to get it right.

So the good news is the printing process has now begun, and we can give you a solid timeline and a date for book delivery. PRAISE THE LORD (of darkness.) Or Satan. Or whoever is responsible.

Here are some images from the final prototype below, including a sneak peak of one of our new pages made just for the book. (Keep in mind that there are still red dotted lines on some parts of these pages as it’s a sample book, these will be gone by the time you get your copy.)

fad6c107-9b36-4fd4-8066-a0c46fa65c01.jpg
bd14eaff-f38d-4a94-82f0-2a0664747e05.jpg
a93ba3f1-7bf7-46ad-ad0f-20ff9a179b37.jpg
f10ada75-d359-4e33-a72c-1a9dfc09d67c.jpg

Just a reminder that we have a bonus of 7 new double-spread pop up pages designed just for this book publication, pages not included in the film. They tie the two books in the film together to create one complete book story. These new pages are looking fantastic. A special treat for book buyers only!

PRINTING TIMELINE

Here is our printing schedule below. The printers have advised us that this timeline will be strictly adhered to (or they will have to answer to Mister B.)

• Proof Sample received 10th June

• Proof Sample approved on 13th June

• Printing of all book pages: completed by 21st June

• Die cutting of all printed pages: completed by 10th July

• Verification Copy will be received by us: 15th July (we will be able to check everything is correct with the final book and give our OK on it.)

• Verification Approval: by 22nd July

• Advance Sample will be received by us: 11th August

• Advance Sample Approval: 19th August

• First 2500 copies shipping date (leaving factory): 26th August. Please allow approximately 3-4 weeks for books to arrive at your doorstep i.e. the last two weeks of September.

• All remaining books shipping date (leaving factory): 2nd September. Please allow approximately 3-4 weeks for books to arrive at your doorstep i.e. early October.

We are nearly there Baba-bookers. Thank you once again for your faith in this venture and for your patience and support in seeing it through.

Warm regards,

Jen

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw the email. Great news. Just slightly worried about the slow shipping times. I guess they are being shipped via standard. Which worries me... As things seem to go missing more often via standard in my experience, when traversing across the Atlantic. I'd have been happy to pay more in shipping expenses, rather than risk an item going missing :/

Might send them a Twitter message later. Since they will be emailing everyone about their addresses and if they have changed etc, it might be a good idea to inquire of express or tracked would be possible.

I also hope they take care of the packaging. I'd hate to receive this with a dented hook or something like that. A well thought-through packaging is key here, to make sure they arrive safely and in mint condition...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back