The AT-AT project -- THE AVERAGE JOE EDITION --

metamorphic

I'm not as adventurous as some of you.....

I've decided to build the CDN AT-AT as is. I'll be detaling a couple of items, but then again I do that to all my model kits.

DAY 1: Washing, sanding the flashing and puttying the bubbles. All the peices are ready to assemble. (5.5H)

ATAT2.jpg

Keep you posted

icon_smile.gif
Thank you wackychimp
icon_smile.gif

DAY 2: Assembling the Head. (4.5H) I put the wooden peg in the head, for the elastic, and slushed some casting resin to solidify it. While reading the instructions on the side guns, I decided I'd detail them more than was needed. I used 1/12 gijoe guns cut and flipped upside down for my guns.

ATAT3.jpg

As for the under belly cannons, I found that they didn't sit low enough, so I added a 3/16 spacer. I though the cannons need rails anyways...

ATAT6.jpg

I know my camera suck, but I can't afford much else....
icon_smile.gif

pat

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
metamorphic wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>

I've decided to build the CDN AT-AT as is.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

What's the CDN AT-AT?

You're a great modeller, so I look foward to seeing what you can do with an AT-ATRon without investing in the Tamiya collectors market.
icon_wink.gif

PHArchivist wrote:

What's the CDN AT-AT?

The kit is known as the CaNaDian kit, the atatron or the upnorth kit. There all the same.

I've decided to build the AT-AT as is because I can't afford to buy all the kit parts that some of you have been accurizing with. Either way, I think this kit looks great to start off with. Anyways, the only people that don't know it's exactly screen acurate are RPFer's. And I don't think any of you will ever come to my house.
icon_smile.gif

I'll make it up with a great Diorama.

Pat

looking good!!

I have the same kit and I'm doing a combo of Studio Scale stuff, my own stuff, and leaving it as is.

I have been working on the head now for 3 weeks, I have made a lot of new panles, replaced others, and added some new stuff.

I have either rebuilt the guns or are in the process of rebuilding all the guns.

Keep those pics coming!!

Lynn

masterjedi322 wrote:
Pat,
Would you happen to know where I could get one of these kits? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sean

PM sent.

DAY 3: I called in sick.....cough! COUGH!! (7.5H)

I decided to tackle the feel today, In my diorama the bottom of the feet will be quite visible and will need to be detailed.

I started by filling the bottom of each foot. I then drilled two holes in each toe, to insert 1/8 armature wire. I want my toes posable. I drilled two bigger holes in the actual foot to receive the modified toes I have made, with a bit of play for adjusting. While still leaving 1/4 inch of bare wire for articulation, I hot glued the wires in place, ...voila! posable toes!!!

I hope what I'm saying makes sence...
icon_redface.gif

I looked around the shop looking for thin round detail to cover the bottom of the foot. Here's what I came up with...What do you guys think???

foot1.jpg

I then started to have fun......maybe a little too much fun.
icon_biggrin.gif

crush2.jpg

Happy Modelling.
pat

Quote:So far so good. That aint your Average Joe ATAT anymore.......
icon_smile.gif

I think it might still be, barely. But if he even looks at a Flakvierling kit, we'll have to hold him down until the madness passes.
icon_wink.gif

Last edited:
Well I think it's still average Joe...

The saucer I put under the foot is a found object, that needed to be sanded and applied into place. Just go to the 1$ store I'm sure there are plenty of great peices that would be just as good looking. Like I said, I needed to detail the bottom of the feel for my particular project, but for anyone that will be displaying they're AT-AT standing up the bottoms will never be seen.

As for the rest of the AT-AT I don't think I'll be doing anymore mods. I figure the AT-AT should be finished in a total of 40 to 50 hours, fully finished. Sounds about right.

I will continue AVERAGE JOE style....

Pat

I just had a though....

In the movie, why don't the snowspeeders attack the AT-AT's from the back??? There aren't any guns in the back!!!

Secondly, has anyone completed their AT-AT yet???

Pat

metamorphic wrote:
Well I think it's still average Joe...

The saucer I put under the foot is a found object, that needed to be sanded and applied into place. Just go to the 1$ store I'm sure there are plenty of great peices that would be just as good looking. ...

What did you use?

Last edited:
I used the top of the Luke medical status tube....or what ever it's called.

In the beginning of ESB, when Luke is suspended in a tube filled with liquid. Well they made a toy of that thing. I had purchased 5 of these things for one of my other projects, that is yet to be completed....But like I said, anything that is round and has some neet detail would be cool.

I was hoping to find the Emperial Logo in the right diameter.
icon_frown.gif

The first place I look is the 1$ store, then Toys R' us, maybe even Wal-mart or Home depot. Come to think of it there would probably be some really cool grills at Home Depot, that would do the trick. Sorry, I rambeling on again.

My theory is, it's easier to find a good looking peice than it is to make one....

pat

metamorphic wrote:
As for the under belly cannons, I found that they didn't sit low enough, so I added a 3/16 spacer. I though the cannons need rails anyways...

Pat,
I too have the atatron kit. I too, shall be doing the average joe addition. Why? Not only would an RPR'r notice (as you said), but hell, without photo reference - I can't tell the differance either
icon_biggrin.gif
I would like to add lights though. Damn, I can have a hoopty AT-AT: fog-runner lights, liscense plate lights, washer jet lights, hub cap...hrmm they don't have hub caps-maybe lights on the toes (glowing toe-nails
icon_smile.gif
)

Do you have anymore of those spacers? They look cool.

I plan on doing a straight from the factory version, just to be differant. I'm even considering chroming the sucker.

Lastly- Your model's coming along great! The articulated toes are definatly a great idea. I'd be afraid to try that myself though.

Day4: Painting and assembling body. (4H)

I primed all of my peices. Drilled the two harrier engines to the body and installed the elastic that holds the body together. Not that hard, but make sure that the two engines line up before screwing, one was 1/8 higher than the other. Minor problem....

body2.jpg

I'm happy
wacko.gif

Zaphod wrote:

Do you have anymore of those spacers? They look cool.

The articulated toes are definatly a great idea. I'd be afraid to try that myself though.

The spacers I used are old spreaker grills. I still have some left over, but I'm quite sure you could find something laying around your shop that would look just as good.

As for the articulated toes. they were quite easy to make. Don't be scared. they'll probably take 45min for you to make, and that's with you being really carefull.

I need some sleep....
PAT
Pat

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back