The AT-AT project -- THE AVERAGE JOE EDITION --

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by metamorphic, Mar 19, 2004.

1. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

I'm not as adventurous as some of you.....

I've decided to build the CDN AT-AT as is. I'll be detaling a couple of items, but then again I do that to all my model kits.

DAY 1: Washing, sanding the flashing and puttying the bubbles. All the peices are ready to assemble. (5.5H)

[​IMG]

Keep you posted

[​IMG] Thank you wackychimp [​IMG]

2. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

DAY 2: Assembling the Head. (4.5H) I put the wooden peg in the head, for the elastic, and slushed some casting resin to solidify it. While reading the instructions on the side guns, I decided I'd detail them more than was needed. I used 1/12 gijoe guns cut and flipped upside down for my guns.

[​IMG]

As for the under belly cannons, I found that they didn't sit low enough, so I added a 3/16 spacer. I though the cannons need rails anyways...

[​IMG]

I know my camera suck, but I can't afford much else....[​IMG]
    pat

3. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    metamorphic wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>

I've decided to build the CDN AT-AT as is.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

What's the CDN AT-AT?

4. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

You're a great modeller, so I look foward to seeing what you can do with an AT-ATRon without investing in the Tamiya collectors market. [​IMG]

5. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

That's a nice looking kit! Great job so far[​IMG]

Keep us posted!

Robert [​IMG]

6. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

PHArchivist wrote:

What's the CDN AT-AT?

The kit is known as the CaNaDian kit, the atatron or the upnorth kit. There all the same.

I've decided to build the AT-AT as is because I can't afford to buy all the kit parts that some of you have been accurizing with. Either way, I think this kit looks great to start off with. Anyways, the only people that don't know it's exactly screen acurate are RPFer's. And I don't think any of you will ever come to my house. [​IMG]

I'll make it up with a great Diorama.

Pat

7. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Pat,
    Would you happen to know where I could get one of these kits? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sean

8. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

looking good!!

I have the same kit and I'm doing a combo of Studio Scale stuff, my own stuff, and leaving it as is.

I have been working on the head now for 3 weeks, I have made a lot of new panles, replaced others, and added some new stuff.

I have either rebuilt the guns or are in the process of rebuilding all the guns.

Keep those pics coming!!

Lynn

9. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

masterjedi322 wrote:
    Pat,
    Would you happen to know where I could get one of these kits? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sean

PM sent.

10. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

DAY 3: I called in sick.....cough! COUGH!! (7.5H)

I decided to tackle the feel today, In my diorama the bottom of the feet will be quite visible and will need to be detailed.

I started by filling the bottom of each foot. I then drilled two holes in each toe, to insert 1/8 armature wire. I want my toes posable. I drilled two bigger holes in the actual foot to receive the modified toes I have made, with a bit of play for adjusting. While still leaving 1/4 inch of bare wire for articulation, I hot glued the wires in place, ...voila! posable toes!!!

I hope what I'm saying makes sence... [​IMG]

I looked around the shop looking for thin round detail to cover the bottom of the foot. Here's what I came up with...What do you guys think???

[​IMG]

I then started to have fun......maybe a little too much fun. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Modelling.
    pat

11. Darth Infamous

Darth Infamous Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks great. Your underfoot detailing is very nice. So far so good. That aint your Average Joe ATAT anymore.......[​IMG]

Carl

12. METALLBOY

METALLBOY Well-Known Member

Now thats cute... one more step and he's crushed..

13. Ivanhotep

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>So far so good. That aint your Average Joe ATAT anymore.......[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I think it might still be, barely. But if he even looks at a Flakvierling kit, we'll have to hold him down until the madness passes. [​IMG]

14. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

Well I think it's still average Joe...

The saucer I put under the foot is a found object, that needed to be sanded and applied into place. Just go to the 1$ store I'm sure there are plenty of great peices that would be just as good looking. Like I said, I needed to detail the bottom of the feel for my particular project, but for anyone that will be displaying they're AT-AT standing up the bottoms will never be seen.

As for the rest of the AT-AT I don't think I'll be doing anymore mods. I figure the AT-AT should be finished in a total of 40 to 50 hours, fully finished. Sounds about right.

I will continue AVERAGE JOE style....

Pat

15. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

I just had a though....

In the movie, why don't the snowspeeders attack the AT-AT's from the back??? There aren't any guns in the back!!!

Secondly, has anyone completed their AT-AT yet???

Pat

16. Ivanhotep

metamorphic wrote:
    Well I think it's still average Joe...

The saucer I put under the foot is a found object, that needed to be sanded and applied into place. Just go to the 1$ store I'm sure there are plenty of great peices that would be just as good looking. ...

What did you use?

17. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

I used the top of the Luke medical status tube....or what ever it's called.

In the beginning of ESB, when Luke is suspended in a tube filled with liquid. Well they made a toy of that thing. I had purchased 5 of these things for one of my other projects, that is yet to be completed....But like I said, anything that is round and has some neet detail would be cool.

I was hoping to find the Emperial Logo in the right diameter. [​IMG]

The first place I look is the 1$ store, then Toys R' us, maybe even Wal-mart or Home depot. Come to think of it there would probably be some really cool grills at Home Depot, that would do the trick. Sorry, I rambeling on again.

My theory is, it's easier to find a good looking peice than it is to make one....

pat

18. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

metamorphic wrote:
    As for the under belly cannons, I found that they didn't sit low enough, so I added a 3/16 spacer. I though the cannons need rails anyways...

Pat,
    I too have the atatron kit. I too, shall be doing the average joe addition. Why? Not only would an RPR'r notice (as you said), but hell, without photo reference - I can't tell the differance either [​IMG] I would like to add lights though. *, I can have a hoopty AT-AT: fog-runner lights, liscense plate lights, washer jet lights, hub cap...hrmm they don't have hub caps-maybe lights on the toes (glowing toe-nails [​IMG] )

Do you have anymore of those spacers? They look cool.

I plan on doing a straight from the factory version, just to be differant. I'm even considering chroming the sucker.

Lastly- Your model's coming along great! The articulated toes are definatly a great idea. I'd be afraid to try that myself though.

19. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

Day4: Painting and assembling body. (4H)

I primed all of my peices. Drilled the two harrier engines to the body and installed the elastic that holds the body together. Not that hard, but make sure that the two engines line up before *, one was 1/8 higher than the other. Minor problem....

[​IMG]

I'm happy [​IMG]

20. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

Zaphod wrote:

Do you have anymore of those spacers? They look cool.

The articulated toes are definatly a great idea. I'd be afraid to try that myself though.

The spacers I used are old spreaker grills. I still have some left over, but I'm quite sure you could find something laying around your shop that would look just as good.

As for the articulated toes. they were quite easy to make. Don't be scared. they'll probably take 45min for you to make, and that's with you being really carefull.

I need some sleep....
    PAT
    Pat

21. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

WOW! Sure makes me wanna hurry up a bit! Your build up looks great and I LOVE what you've done with the feets!

Steve.

22. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Beautiful! It's Starting to look Menacing!

Robert [​IMG]

23. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

DAY 5: Assembling the four legs and attaching the feet. (5 H)

Putting the top and bottom leg together is easy, but I suggest you get someone to hold the peices together while you drill the holes.

Attaching the foot is the hard part. Once I figured out that the drawings were not to scale, it all made sence. As I later noticed in the instructions "NOTE: These drawings are NOT to scale". Reading the instructions helps everyonce and a while. [​IMG]

Once the wish bone was attached to the foot, I had to make the ball joint mechanism for the left/right foot movement. I looked at the bible....the movie, and noticed it differed from what was in the instructions. I realized all I had to do was invert all the supplied peices (ball joint males and females) to acheive the look I wanted. The brass tubes slide into one another. It's quite a nice movement.

All that was missing was something to hold the leg and the foot together. That Something, was not supplied with the kit. So I sanded a peice of MDF to the right shape and glUed it into position.

VOILA!!!

[​IMG]

A finished set of legs. Next step, attaching the legs to the body. this should be FUN... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

pAT

24. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

Today was very productive [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

DAY 6: Attaching the legs to the body, detailing the legs, and detailing the *. (6H)

When I attached the legs to the body, the hips didn't want to stay in place. They had a tendancy of sagging from the weight of the body. I didn't want to over tighten the screw, nor glue it in place. I told myself I need more friction....Then rubbed my scuffy face.....SAND PAPER!!!!

EDIT: The sand paper disks (150 grit) are glued into place. IE: I glued a disk on the harrier engine and the other on the hip plate. Once the glue was set, I screwed the two peices together. Friction O'max.

[​IMG]

As for hiding the bolt heads, I decided to use what seemed to be the quickest solution. Styrene plates hollowed out in the back, giving some room for the bolt head to hide. stuck on with double face tape, incase I ever need to undo the legs. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The slot I mention in the pictures was an after thought. I looked at the movie and noticed how the slots were used, quite cool. It's too late for me to apply, but would be a great detail for anyone else.

Mommy and baby together, side by side. This isn't the kit I remember as a kid!!!

[​IMG]

Any comments, I'd love to hear what I should change before I paint this sucker. [​IMG]

PAT

26. Ivanhotep

Lookin' good!

So the ball joints come with the kit? I haven't opened up all the baggies, yet...

Oh, and what is MDF?

27. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Oh man......I want one of those.....

Robert [​IMG]

28. STEVE THE SWEDE

Looks SOOOO COOOOOOL! Awesome work my man!
    Since I'm building the same kit myself there's one question I would like to ask. Do you feel that the styrene hips are able to hold the weight of the kit without any problems? I was thinking of having them made from aluminum for added strenght since I'm building a inner structure for the body of metal sheets.

Steve.

29. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

The ball joints come with the kit. [​IMG]

As for what is MDF....It's the greatest material on this planet!!!. It stands for Medium Density Fibre. It's wood dust glued together at high temp. Poster laminations are made with it. It's perfectly flat has no vains running through it, so it's great for sculpting. I call it really hard plasticine. I sculpt everything with it.

Pat

Ivanhotep wrote:
    Lookin' good!

So the ball joints come with the kit? I haven't opened up all the baggies, yet...

Oh, and what is MDF?

30. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

The supplied styrene hips are quite strong enough.

The weak point is where the hip meets the harrier engine. the weight of the whole body pushes down on the hips, making the hips pivot upwards, I realized there wasn't enought friction. Like I show in one of my pictures, I added sand paper between the hip and the harrier engine to add more friction, avoiding the sagging problem. It's a great solution and quick to make.

If I think it could be made in aluminium, sure, but it has it's good and bad points. You'd be able to mill the groove into the hip, But adding a thin sheet of styrene would do the same effect.

The problem if you choose to make the hip out of aluminium is that it's too rigid. I'm not sure if the harrier engines are too narrow or the feet are too big, but the feet bump into each other in certain positions. I personally would stay with the styrene. It's more flexible and can twist a bit, which allows you to get the AT-AT into some funkier poses.

If you want I can send you some pic to show you what I mean.
    Pat

STEVE THE SWEDE wrote:
    Do you feel that the styrene hips are able to hold the weight of the kit without any problems? Steve.

31. STEVE THE SWEDE

I know exactly what you're reffering to. That wont be a problem for me though since I'm actually building the entire inner structure (including the hip mounting points) like the studio model. I'm using real Harrier parts for my engines and the mounting points for the hips will be able to move side ways.

It's kind of hard to explain what I'm talking about![​IMG] The real models only used the Harrier engine to cover the hip mounting system and didn't attach to the Harrier engines.

My concern though is that styrene might be to brittle to hold the weight of the walker.

Steve.

32. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

Originally, Ron was going to cast the hip peices out of resin. I told him the resin would break or warp with time. He opted with supplying the styrene for the hips instead.

Pat

STEVE THE SWEDE wrote:

My concern though is that styrene might be to brittle to hold the weight of the walker.

Steve.

33. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

metamorphic wrote:
    Any comments, I'd love to hear what I should change before I paint this sucker. [​IMG]

PAT
    Lookin great Pat! I was actually considering painting the pieces before I assemble them. I had one of those baby AT-AT's myself, when I was a kid. I was gonna search ebay for a new one, but discovered the ATATRON instead.

I believe I even have some of those sandpaper circles in my dremal kit, great tip.

Also, two things, 1) do you have any more of those MDF pieces? 2) I don't have any of those speaker grill bits, so if you still have extra please contact me.

Thanks

34. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

MDF can be had at most any hardware store. I'm sure you could score scraps from when they've had to trim sheets for customers.

Excellent work on the ATAT, Pat!

35. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

Hi guys

I forgot to post a picture of my *. Here it is. It's not screen accurate, but it's average joe edition.

[​IMG]

After recieving some helpful comments. I will be adding more details on the * and the feet.

Keep those comments coming.
    Pat

36. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

PLEASE NOTE I have edited the sand paper editiorial with additional info. Refer to top of page.

As for the MDF issue, my hardware store Home Depot sells MDF in smaller cut sheets. So what I've done is that I dought all the thicknesses they offer in 2 foot squares, just to have a cheap veriaty. 1/8 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 3/4 7/8 1" . Now I'm ready for any project. [​IMG]

37. judgedredd

judgedredd Sr Member

hi could you tell me where to buy this kit also?
    cheers

38. Robert McLain

Robert McLain Sr Member

Nice *!

Robert [​IMG]

39. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

Bigvade wrote:
    Nice *!

Robert [​IMG]

Thanks I workout [​IMG]

Pat

40. blaydrunner

blaydrunner New Member

Are those Speeder Bike turning flaps on your *???[​IMG]

Cheers!
    GL

41. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

blaydrunner wrote:
    Are those Speeder Bike turning flaps on your *???[​IMG]

(geeky trivia mode on)

Close! The model uses flaps from a flaverking (sp?) model, and the ILM prototype speeder bike model used the same parts. However, the final, larger speeder bike models were scratch built so ultimately the bike flaps only look like flaverking/AT-AT parts.

42. blaydrunner

blaydrunner New Member

Thanks Cliff Claven!!!!!![​IMG]

Cheers!
    GL

43. RONMINIATURES

RONMINIATURES New Member

The sandpaper idea is a very good one ,everybody should do that ,GOOD idea Pat . [​IMG]

Ron

44. RONMINIATURES

RONMINIATURES New Member

Good idea on the rectangles for hiding the nuts .I will do that on mine .Thanks again Pat

Ron

45. RONMINIATURES

RONMINIATURES New Member

I am glad that you are doing an average joe edition ,it proves that the model can look like a million bucks without going freaky on extensive modifications . Nice * ....Keep up the good work . [​IMG]

46. Ivanhotep

Hey, Ron!

It's a fantastic model no matter how many mods people make. I think of it like those classic Tamiya Tiger tanks that armor modelers are always superdetailing: a great model's under there either way you go!

I think it looks great stock, and plan to (mostly) go that route myself, myself.

47. metamorphic

metamorphic New Member

Hey RON!!!

I'm glad to see you posting again!!! I'm so happy I have this kit, I know I was reluctant at first, but I'm glad I got it.
    [​IMG] * this is fun. [​IMG]

48. lonnie sweet

lonnie sweet New Member

Nice! Are these kits still available? I've never heard of the ATATRON or CDN version before, and the last one I tried to get was stopped before I ordered.

Lonnie

49. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

Looking very good to me. I wouldn't mind getting a hold of one of these kits myself.

Can't wait to see the paint job on her!!
    Keep us posted!!

Kenny

50. RONMINIATURES

RONMINIATURES New Member

Hi Pat

Any more pics for us ? did you start the painting yet LMK . Cant wait to see it finished [​IMG]

Ron