TFA Snowtrooper Ultimate Build!

Back pack all printed! Well over 200 hours just in printing time. Shown here just duct taped together. Still have some smaller control panel and details to print but it's just about done. Now on to another 20 hours of welding, sanding, filling, priming and painting! Way more work than the helmet! The back panel will be removable with ability for storage. All parts were printed hollow but with about 1/8th" or thicker walls. Oh, and it weighs 5 pounds!

View attachment 578330View attachment 578329View attachment 578328View attachment 578327View attachment 578326View attachment 578325View attachment 578324View attachment 578323
wall thickness.
View attachment 578322

Something strange happened on that last post so here's the pics that were supposed to accompany: Now these are right off the printer with support removed and pretty much duck taped together. :)

BP1.jpgBP2.jpgBP3.jpgBP4.jpgBP6.jpgBP7.jpgBP8.jpgBP9.jpg
Here's a shot of the shell thickness.
wall thickness.jpg

So, I finally got the fabric! But it wasn't without it's drama! On Sunday night, I checked the UPS tracking on it. The first photo is what I saw. I just about got sick when I saw this. Of course, being Sunday night, I couldn't do anything about it. It was not a great night for sleep. Monday morning, called my supplier and gave them the update. They said they'd get on it because they have an account rep in UPS and ship that way all the time. They said in the last 10 years, this has never happened. I mean really, How do you lose an 85 pound roll of fabric?!? On Wed. they decided to spool up another 200 yards and send it to me 2nd day air. I was totally floored! Here I am, thinking I was going to maybe loose more money, 1. Because it was insured for less than the value, 2. They could've just blew me off cause I'm the little guy here. But no, They paid out of their own pocket, 375.00 to have a new roll shipped 2nd day air so I would have it by today, which is when the original roll would've gotten here. Man, I definitely hope to order more, these guys ROCKED! Very satisfied customer! This is what 200 yards looks like!

track.jpgroll1.jpgroll3.jpgroll2.jpg

Awesome bro!! Can't wait to see all the great stuff you'll make with it!! Here's to the first 501st FO Snowy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

this is hot! good work! Love the old school version but alaways felt they had a KKK hood look to them Thats what stoped me from buying a helmet.

It's nice to hear such a great outcome! They could certainly have ignored you, or just reimburced you instead of replacing the package.

I love how the U.S. textile industry is getting going again. North Carolina is a huge center for this and they're coming out with great textiles that are going to be wonderful for sourcing materials for builds.

The fabric looks great, can't wait to see more!

I decided to take on what I thought would be the most challenging "soft part" of the outfit and that's the gloves. I deconstructed a cheap pair of gloves to make a pattern. Then scanned and traced the patterns to make vector files to cut on my Silhouette cutter. I first did a test just using regular fabric just to make sure I even had the skills to sew around the tight corners. The test came out better than expected so I cut the patterns using the correct fabric. The tricky part is that when using the real fabric, you still have to layer and quilt the top parts so adding layers to the sewing task made it a bit more difficult. The results aren't perfect but I'm happy with this first try. I have a new pattern I'm going to try that is slightly different. It has a few more smaller parts (between the fingers) but it's more accurate to the real glove pattern.

glove1.jpgglove2.jpgglove3.jpgglove4.jpgglove5.jpg

Quite the pain to sew!
glove6.jpg

transferring the stitch pattern using a disappearing ink pen.
glove7.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back