TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Sure that would be easy, I should probably consolidate some of these layouts in a more logical way. Esbv1 and 2 on one card, TFAV1 and 2 on another, ROTJ and.. Uh. Maybe a prequel card on the other side.

maybe a shared stunt mock up on the back of the V2 card? for ROTJ Luke sabers.

Just watched my 1080p copy. The grips undoubtedly reach the bottom of the hilt in the snow scene and the final scene on the island. In fact, the version with the short grips may only be seen in Maz's chest. Might as well refer to it as the "Maz" or "chest" version. On the island, there do appear to be rivets holding the Kobold on. You can see the heads have a domed shape, whereas the Allen heads were totally flat. Maybe the threaded hardware is only on the display pieces and Maz version. Maybe the Maz version is one of the display pieces.

Just watched my 1080p copy. The grips undoubtedly reach the bottom of the hilt in the snow scene and the final scene on the island. In fact, the version with the short grips may only be seen in Maz's chest. Might as well refer to it as the "Maz" or "chest" version. On the island, there do appear to be rivets holding the Kobold on. You can see the heads have a domed shape, whereas the Allen heads were totally flat. Maybe the threaded hardware is only on the display pieces and Maz version. Maybe the Maz version is one of the display pieces.
How? [emoji48]

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Here's another one during the attack on Maz Kanata's place , grips are also flush to the bottom.

2ljp0tw.png

Here's another one during the attack on Maz Kanata's place , grips are also flush to the bottom.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2ljp0tw.png

Interesting. Thank you both for the info.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is turning out to be another case like Luke's ROTJ saber. The intended hero prop used for one close up "money shot" (Shorter grips) and another primary hero used for filming. (Longer grips). I'm sure time will tell and a few variants will undoubtedly turn up as they have for the other films. Still, strange that if they had multiple hero sabers that one would have obviously shorter grips than the other when the other details are practically identical. Sure in the original trilogy this happened, but with all of the current info they have and the fact they clearly went for a hybrid of the ANH/ESB sabers, it seems like an odd decision.

With this saber touching the dirt/rocks/ground, and this one has the same grips as the Snow saber, I think these are the same saber and this is a 'Stunt' version as it's being used in a way where scratches/water could damage the perfect finish.

Stunt Hero perhaps? So we essentially have the Hero saber and the V2 Hero saber... sounds familiar.

I don't know/remember if this was discussed previously as I've been intermittently following the tread, but do we know if the prop that Maz handles is an actual physical prop? Since she's CG, I'd have to wonder if the Graflex she handles is real or just a model.

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

I don't know/remember if this was discussed previously as I've been intermittently following the tread, but do we know if the prop that Maz handles is an actual physical prop? Since she's CG, I'd have to wonder if the Graflex she handles is real or just a model.

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

It's real, the actress was actually holding it and her hand was covered in CG texture but the saber is real.

To be honest I never liked the shorter grip so the version I'm going to make was always going to have the longer grips anyway :) Glad to see confirmation that there are screen used long grip versions.

As someone already mentioned - I suppose it's possible that the grips are the same length, but simply attached lower on some props. Maybe they used all the same parts, but were assembled by different people. The one exception being the foam grips.

It would be awesome if someone who can take measurements could get the total grip length for the 2 different styles of saber and also measure the distance from each end to the rivet cutout.

The Target exclusive Blu-ray has an additional 20 minute bonus:

Only at Target: The pack contains over 20 minutes of bonus content, including a never-before-seen interview with the film’s breakout stars, Daisy Ridley (Rey) and John Boyega (Finn). You’ll also get a behind-the-scenes look at how the actors trained for their incredible stunts and fight scenes, interactions between the new and veteran cast members, a closer look at how the props team designed and produced some of the film’s new weapons, and lots more.

Hopefully there will be some more info on the lightsabers in that...

Yeah it's a pain cuz it's just a code for digital stuff online.

Hopefully someone will torrent it... I'm not paying USD price on that blu-ray, and then wait shipping, simply for extra footage on an exclusive for a store that failed in Canada.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back