TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

I think that weird clamp-thing Rey is holding is a regular, lighted blade Graflex, with a thin foam covering the Graflex for comfort. It looks like it goes from above the grips, over the clamp, and up to where the glass eye and button are.

Yup, must be the "cloth" covering they talked about. Strange how noticeable it is in the pics here yet I never noticed it in the theater watching the film. Probably something that will now bug me in subsequent viewings since I know where to look for it.

There's really no way for me not to be an ass about this other than remaining silent but I'm not gonna do that. Yeah, grips going all the way to the bottom end cap in the snow close-up... as I vehemently stated all along. *does the Chandler Bing happy dance like the ass I am* ;)

http://49.media.tumblr.com/b907b7e4ec2200d75b533b967615dc21/tumblr_nf4vhoi5u71smp4y5o7_500.gif

The grips do appear to go all the way to the end cap, on that one saber, and every other saber in the movie is basically the 'Hero' saber with the short grips.

So anyone could make an EP7 saber with longer grips to match that 1 saber, but it wouldn't be accurate to any of the media presented or the beauty, 'Hero' shots. But yes, they do appear longer on that stunt saber.

Last edited:
I've got some other interesting shots.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458769653.687940.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458769667.600131.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458769678.753722.jpg

You can clearly see in the first image that the Graflex tubes are in the shortest position from the square holes in the clamp.
Also a nice view of the Kobold clip.

The grips do appear to go all the way to the end cap, on that one saber, and every other saber in the movie that are basically the 'Hero' show the short grips.

So anyone could make an EP7 saber with longer grips to match that 1 saber, but it wouldn't be accurate to any of the media presented or the beauty, 'Hero' shots. But yes, they do appear longer on that stunt saber.

I agree with everything you just stated. There's also a deleted scene that is in one of the trailers that shows the grips going all the way to the bottom. It's the scene that shows Maz handing the lightsaber to Leia... but it's a deleted scene. However please keep in mind the whole Luke ESB and Luke RotJ lightsaber controversy, both of which had more than one version throughout the film. Many people seem to want to know all the details on every different version of those sabers or own each version instead of just the one seen on screen the most. I'm not one of those people (not that there's anything wrong with that) but they are plenty of people on this forum that are.

Last edited:
Come on guys-- some of you are making MOM Vader sabers, Barbicons, Holiday Special Graflites, the various stunt models and the Skywalker Ranch saber. OF COURSE amongst us every variation from TFA will be made! :)

I've got some other interesting shots.

View attachment 607015
View attachment 607016
View attachment 607018

You can clearly see in the first image that the Graflex tubes are in the shortest position from the square holes in the clamp.
Also a nice view of the Kobold clip.

In that shot of Finn holding the saber, the grips are short at the clamp but seem to possibly go all the way to the end of the tube. But the glass eye looks like the one from the Wired photo shoot where it's been turned smooth, and I think the grips are short on both ends on that saber.

Most likely due to the fighting action the actress pushed the bottom part slightly more inside the clamp, thus the T-tracks appear to be flush :wacko

Chaim

Another observation on the shot of Finn holding the saber in the photo Roy posted:

If you look at the square cut-out in the clamp on the lower side by the lower tube, it looks like you can see a gap made by the slots cut in the lower tube to hold it to the clamp, and the grips are still short, showing that short grips would be intentional and not an accidental by-product of pulling the lower tube out completely.

Yep, that's what Roy pointed out. Though my old eyes can't see it :/

So to recap... Assumed hero - snow saber = short grips + rivets + clamp cover+ soon-to-be-determined T-track dimensions...

Last edited:
So do I need to flip my TFA clampcard layout?

I don't mind doing that, I need to make a new order of different circuitboards anyway for my clocks. Might as well save on shipping.

Sure that would be easy, I should probably consolidate some of these layouts in a more logical way. Esbv1 and 2 on one card, TFAV1 and 2 on another, ROTJ and.. Uh. Maybe a prequel card on the other side.

Sure that would be easy, I should probably consolidate some of these layouts in a more logical way. Esbv1 and 2 on one card, TFAV1 and 2 on another, ROTJ and.. Uh. Maybe a prequel card on the other side.

sounds awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back