TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Well it is established that Hex heads where used on the stunt saber with the antenna on the bottom. (photographic proof in this thread)
Seams to reason, screws for the rest of them.

Anyway build what makes you happy, after all you're the one that gets to sit and stare at it. :)

@division 6 isn't that still debated too? There were normal screws, rivets and hex screws for ESB right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hold on
There has never been a conclusion that hex heads were used on any ESB sabers. Some people think they're rivets because film is blurry and they're hard to see.

There are Phillips screws on the SRS saber in the archives and there is at least one scene on screen where you can see an "x" on the grip attachments. sometimes the screws were black and sometimes they were silver. Grips shattered and broke often so they had to be relatively easy to install over and over.

A lot of the confusion comes from information not being picked up, remembered, or discussed properly.

This is what I must remembered reading " the length of the T track base was not always straight, some had a misshaped curve."

This is what I remember... everyone has a different idea on what was used and no one (here) knows what really was used and most likely never will, lol. Just kidding with y'all. ;)

Hold on
There has never been a conclusion that hex heads were used on any ESB sabers. Some people think they're rivets because film is blurry and they're hard to see.

There are Phillips screws on the SRS saber in the archives and there is at least one scene on screen where you can see an "x" on the grip attachments. sometimes the screws were black and sometimes they were silver. Grips shattered and broke often so they had to be relatively easy to install over and over.

A lot of the confusion comes from information not being picked up, remembered, or discussed properly.

I don't mean to say it was a conclusion but a lot of people say there were hex, rivets and normal screws

If you're not installing these fasters on a vintage Graflex, they'll be the least of your concerns when it comes to accuracy. :) Just saying. That said, someone needs to get a hold of the various props and just take really good photos.

hunting for better pics of the prop shop grips, i ran across this san diego comic con video

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-07%20at%2012.02.40%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-07%20at%2012.02.59%20AM.png

What was 3D printed?
The screws or the saber?

Just saw the Launch Oad saber a few weeks ago. Looked like a real graflex and real screws to me.

Wasn't it 3D printed? That might be why @DARTH SABER

Last edited by a moderator:
i strongly strongly believe the maz box saber scene is rivets... i work with rivets every day... im willing to bet my life on it they are rivets

I do believe the Maz box saber has rivets as well..however the screws on the Launch Saber look nearly identical to rivets except for the torx slot.
Hard to be 100% sure.

The only clue that leads me to believe that the Maz box saber has rivets is that hole for the torx screwdriver is slightly bigger than a rivet hole.
The holes on the Maz saber look closer to a rivet size than a torx size.

Unfortunately, photographs and lighting have played tricks in the past so i cant be sure about the size either

Last edited:

I do believe the Max box saber has rivets as well..however the screws on the Launch Saber look nearly identical to rivets except for the torx slot.
Hard to be 100% sure.

The only clue that leads me to believe that the Maz box saber has rivets is that hole for the torx screwdriver is slightly bigger than a rivet hole.
The holes on the Maz saber look closer to a rivet size than a torx size.

Unfortunately, photographs and lighting have played tricks in the past so i cant be sure about the size either

i see a double pumped rivet with the blue arrow. what i mean by this is the rivet not snapping off with the first pump and you having to take a second bite at it. pulling the rivet pin too heigh, exposing the pin

you can also say the blue arrow is the tamper proof center of the screw. but i dont believe it is because the red arrow, not only shows a deep black hole (from a single pump rivet) BUT it also has a nice crisp black circle shadow, if it was a hex head or star head tamper proof screw i dont think we would see such a crisp outline of a circle

again, i have no proof this is all based on just my judgement, and what im going by. i truly believe if we didnt have the launch bay pictures, we would have never thought of these tamper proof screws.. i think we cant confuse what we see with the "placebo effected tamper proof" screws
rivets.jpg

F0B1B1AA-9F3D-4A19-9870-4A40F1691AC1_zps4hi7fgqw.png

I think those are rivets too. On that specific saber.

getting your confirmation on this really seals the deal for me now! thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Are those photographs of a a screen shot printed to canvas? IMO, those aren't useful for this kind of reference.

nope... screen capture blown way the hell up. this is all roys work when he went through extensive research. i just added the arrows

one other thing i dont care for on the prop shop Graflex is the over weathering... it looks fairly dirty... the box saber looks lightly weathered with grit around the beer tab and bunny ears. rare earth powered along the grips... you can also see the rare earth and light weathering on the beer tab out side the castle

4.jpg

12.jpg

the above picture also screams rivets to me, as the surface is far too short to be a screw. and the sides are too thing to be a hard drive screw

Looking at this pic closesly, are those torx bolts on the grips? Are my eyes deceiving me?

yes i believe they call this one the "FX version" it has the rusty hex button screws holding the grips, it also has the antenna and switch sticking out the bottom, though i cant see by that picture of the antenna is out the bottom

Last edited:
i have to retract a few things I've said. when ever i have stated "hex cap screw" i have meant "hex button screw". all in all i mean this style E below

hex-cap-screws.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back