Tesseract Teleporter 3D Print (PIC Heavy)

Capsicle

Hello fellow geeks! I have been a lurker on this website for years and decided that it's time I start my own thread. This project has been about a year in the making and lots of hard work.I have have done my best to 3d model this as screen accurate as possible, but I am still a novice when it comes to modeling. These are the reference images that I worked from and some pictures of my model.

reference 3.jpg

Screenshot (5).png

reference 4.jpg

Screenshot (4).png

reference 2.jpg

Screenshot (3).png

reference 5.jpg

Screenshot (2).png

reference 1.jpg

Screenshot (6).png

The next step was hours and hours of printing time. I had many failed attempts and had to edit my file and reprint, but I'm pretty happy with what I have so far. So after all of those hours of printing, it was time to start my least favorite thing in the world... Sanding. I decided to start with the pieces that have the most details to get those out of the way. Unfortunately, Some of the files were too big for the bed of of my printer, so I had to cut them into separate part and glue them together. Here are some pictures of my endeavor.

All pieces were sanded and given a coat of filler primer which got wet sanded and given a second coat. After that it was time for spot putty.
IMG_0232.JPG
This is a before, during, and after of the putty process. They were then given a third coat of filler primer and were the problem areas were marked for more putty.
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG
And the process was repeated.
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG

At this point I got a little ahead of my self and started to lay down a couple coats of regular primer. I should have waited to prime until the pieces were all glued together, but I just ended making a little more work for myself.
IMG_0243.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG
IMG_0245.JPG

I have now started the work on some of the other parts, but it's a very time consuming process. There is a lot more to come.

Progress has been pretty slow the last couple of days with all the sanding and priming.

IMG_0248.JPG
I made a mistake while modeling this piece and it printed wrong. Luckily, spot putty is my best friend.
IMG_0250.JPGIMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0255.JPGIMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG

I have also gotten all of the parts 3d printed. The old file for these metal vent things were too small and needed slight adjustments and got reprinted.

IMG_0260.JPG
Before
IMG_0259.JPG
After

I was really happy to see that the part with the most intricate details printed perfectly.
IMG_0262.JPGIMG_0263.JPG

Well that's all I have so far. More updates to come.

I don't have any new updates yet. I came down with a terrible cold and haven't felt good enough to work. I hope to have more progress later in the week.

Hey man, this is a great build, I'd like to know if you ever finished it. Also, wonder if the file is available. Been considering printing one myself.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back